Directv at Camp. Sounded simple, but...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I won't be able to try it again until Sunday, but I will check the mast first. The day I put it up had 30mph winds and single degree temperatures! So maybe I didn't spend as much time with that as I should have. I know the bubble on the level was inside the lines, but not centered between them.

And the website I referenced was dishpointer.com, not dishfinder.com as I said earlier.

One more question, it makes no difference which of the four ports on the LNB that I connect to, correct?

If I recall correctly 1 degree off here is 400 miles off at the satellite.

Reactions: Jimbo
I won't be able to try it again until Sunday, but I will check the mast first. The day I put it up had 30mph winds and single degree temperatures! So maybe I didn't spend as much time with that as I should have. I know the bubble on the level was inside the lines, but not centered between them.

And the website I referenced was dishpointer.com, not dishfinder.com as I said earlier.
:welcome to Satelliteguys Lakefront!
The bubble levels aren't very accurate. I always use a post level. Don't forget, if you aren't using a swm lnb with the power inserter, you need to use the bbc inline.

The dish is pointing at an object the size of a school bus that is just over 22,300 miles away so a millimeter adjustment makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dish is pointing at an object the size of a school bus that is just over 22,300 miles away so a millimeter adjustment makes a difference

That is the best way to visualize it!!
The bubble levels aren't very accurate. I always use a post level. Don't forget, if you aren't using a swm lnb with the power inserter, you need to use the bbc inline

I will take a post level with me this weekend and make sure the mast is perfect before I go further. And I do have a BBC hooked to the receiver.

Reactions: raoul5788
As mentioned earlier, patience is your friend. When checking signal strengths, give the receiver 15 or so seconds to register any changes and move the dish a little at a time.

Make sure the dish is plumbed level. Set the dish elevation. Point the dish at the theoretical azimuth. Move the dish about 15 degrees to the left. Then slowly move the dish to the right while watching the signal strength screen which shows you all the 101 transponders on one screen. You should see the 101 transponders come in. When correctly aligned, the 101 transponders should be mostly high 90s or even 100. If you can't get those signal levels, you should "dither" the dish to get the center of the 101 beam (google "dither directv dish" to see how that works. ) When the dish is aligned, your 99ca/cb/103ca/103cb signals should all be in the high 80s at least. Ignore 99s and 103s, they deliver spotbeams aimed at many different cities and for most people many of the signals are low or zero.

Thank you all for the input on this. I think I will take the TV and receiver outside with me this weekend, the weather looks better than it was last weekend. I will report back with the results.

Reactions: stardust3
And of course make sure the dish elevation is set to the "Elevation Indicator" at the edge of the mechanism as in the attached image. Not what you estimate is the center of the "Elevation Nut."

A common mistake many make ...

ElevationAdj.jpg

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Reactions: k.r. and Jimbo
I am pleased to announce that I have working satellite tv at camp. I need to brace my mast a little better, I have too much wiggle in it. I was chasing signal strengths in the high 70s to high 80s but the dish has some wiggle. I'll work more on fine tuning next weekend after I take care of the wiggle. I am not using a true directv mount, but rather half dish half direct .

Reactions: stardust3
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)