Directv blackouts of MLB preseason games

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I live on the Big Island and have both Directv and cable. Dodgers and Angels games are blacked out on Directv but not cable. What's going on?

Generally they shouldn't be blacking out spring training games. Possibly could if it is live on MLB Net or your local RSN vs another RSN, but in general they shouldn't be blacked out.
DirecTV has a history of mismanaging spring training blackouts and several RSN feeds have been blacked out in years past for out of market viewers.

You likely can watch on mlb.tv or MLB Network (which may be tape delay).

Well Dodgers games are eternally blacked out since Directv doesn't carry the channel. That COULD pose a problem watching the preseason due to TWC/Spectrum carrying the rights and being extra picky. I don't understand why you'd be blacked out, but like jcrandall said, Directv has a history of messing up blackouts for preseason. If the Big Island is Hawaii, wouldn't both the teams be your "home" teams? If they are enforcing the same rules on preseason as they do during the regular season with TWC, that is why you can't watch the away feed for the Dodgers. I do not know for sure if that is the case, but there have been college basketball games (and football) that have been blacked out on Comcast SportsNet and the TWC/Spectrum channels but the same game is available on Root Sports with no black outs. Directv owns or partially owns Root. Comcast and TWC/Spectrum are direct competition. Just throwing out ideas here. I haven't been blacked out of any of the preseason games I have watched, which has been several, but I know it's just a matter of time before I encounter it.

Edit: Update: I was just blacked out of a repeat game that I know wasn't blacked out live (I watched it!) so maybe live is available but the repeats are online only?

Thanks for the clarification. I know there's no point in ranting about the MLB blackout rules. But in this era where MLB is looking for ways to spark more fan interest (pitch clocks, no pitches on intentional walks, etc.) you would think they would take a look at traditions like blackouts that reduce their audience.

Thanks for the clarification. I know there's no point in ranting about the MLB blackout rules. But in this era where MLB is looking for ways to spark more fan interest (pitch clocks, no pitches on intentional walks, etc.) you would think they would take a look at traditions like blackouts that reduce their audience.

I would love for the 5 pro sports with blackouts (MLB NHL NBA MLS WNBA) to take a season, have no blackouts, and let the ratings and exposure increase all audiences and see what happens. Not every game is going to draw ratings, but they hype some big games or player debuts that you can't watch because of blackouts. Charge $50/month for the sports pack and distribute as the ratings suggest. No need for these "local" areas of coverage which mean nothing. I am 70 miles from a NHL team (Canadiens), yet I must watch a team 4 hours away (Bruins) because there's a border between us. Garbage. If you are from Hawaii, you should be exempt and get all the sports packages free. It's unreasonable for them to expect folks from there to travel to any game and consider it a home game....

Reactions: Annie61
I would love for the 5 pro sports with blackouts (MLB NHL NBA MLS WNBA) to take a season, have no blackouts, and let the ratings and exposure increase all audiences and see what happens. Not every game is going to draw ratings, but they hype some big games or player debuts that you can't watch because of blackouts. Charge $50/month for the sports pack and distribute as the ratings suggest. No need for these "local" areas of coverage which mean nothing. I am 70 miles from a NHL team (Canadiens), yet I must watch a team 4 hours away (Bruins) because there's a border between us. Garbage. If you are from Hawaii, you should be exempt and get all the sports packages free. It's unreasonable for them to expect folks from there to travel to any game and consider it a home game....
what about if you buy NHL CI / NBA LP / NFL ST / etc you get all games with no blackouts??

$50 /mo??? Rogers super sports pack is only $35.99

You can't compare Rogers to an American provider. They have far fewer teams and less popular teams for the most part.

The audience that has no access to home games is minuscule compared to those that do, to those who can get their teams out of market, and importantly to the money the RSN brings in to pay MLB. Without blackouts the RSN and MLB stand to lose money. Add to that some markets are not "Baseball Towns" and there may be little interest in paying to see games. They will wait if their team is in the playoffs and can watch without the RSN.
That doesn't mean things shouldn't change with the times. It will take cable/Satellite standing up and refusing to carry the RSN in the regular packages. When that happens the RSN will be begging for subscribers and then you may see streaming options for in market games or for getting the RSN itself but not needing to get it all year. It started now with the Flex Pack and online with Sling TV, Vue etc..

Brings back memories of the superstations back in the 80's

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: N5XZS
Brings back memories of the superstations back in the 80's

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish had the Superstations available until a few years ago. My parents had the SuperStation pack. I think if you had them before a certain date, you got to keep them. My area got a local CW and Dish took away WPIX, KWGN, and KTLA from them. My mom used KTLA to allow their 2-tuner system the opportunity to record later. Now, they have X1 and pay way too much for so little HD, but they can't tell the difference and they can record more at once. "As long as there's not too much snow or ghosting, it's good enough for me."

Dish had the Superstations available until a few years ago. My parents had the SuperStation pack. I think if you had them before a certain date, you got to keep them. My area got a local CW and Dish took away WPIX, KWGN, and KTLA from them. My mom used KTLA to allow their 2-tuner system the opportunity to record later. Now, they have X1 and pay way too much for so little HD, but they can't tell the difference and they can record more at once. "As long as there's not too much snow or ghosting, it's good enough for me."
they used to call ALL the major sports before greed and RSN's took over..every baseball,basketball and hockey game..it was pure heaven

When I got my c-band dish in 1992 the Sportschannels were all in fixed key. I got virtually all of them, plus the Denver and west coast prime time channels. I had to pay for those, though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)