This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

DIRECTV Cancellation Equipment Threat - and Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vettejock99

Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
So I’ve been a DirecTV customer for something like 5 of the last 7 years. I’m on month 23 of my latest contract and I called to cancel because I may want to see what new customer promotions they have and I don’t watch much TV during the summer. I expected I would be told I’d have $20-40 in early term fees because that’s what my agreement said. No problem.

After being offered some great retention deals (I almost said ok) I asked to be cancelled for now. Rep says ok, then says hang on a second, I need to look into this box you added to your account in March. FWIW, in March I was on a boat a friend had bought out of a bankruptcy. It had been unused for a couple of years, but it had an old DTV box, and because we’d be off the coast I’d called about activating the access card in it on my account. I tell the rep under no circumstances do I want to extend my agreement, but if I can activate it without extension then I’d like to do it for a while. The rep says no problem, it absolutely won’t extend me, and he has me on in 5 minutes. I’ve been paying the extra fee ever since. The rep I’m speaking to now, however, becomes a COMPLETE jerk and says guess what – when you activated that receiver, which was a leased receiver, you extended your contract another 2 years per your agreement. I explained I’d been adamant about that not being the case before I activated it and that the original rep had clearly and explicitly said there would be no extension. The new rep basically says tough luck. I tell him I’ll fight it with whomever, because I’m confident I’ll prevail in a fight over it, and I tell him to cancel me anyway. He says fine – you have 21 days to ship all the equipment back to me. Again, this is in a boat now several states away from me so I pump the breaks and say I’ll get back to him.

Does anyone know how much of this is BS? I’m prepared to risk the $400 termination fee (20 months x $20/month) because like I said I don’t think they have a legal leg to stand on. I never leased this receiver from them, and I realize they were probably never authorized to activate it for me anyway. If I cancel service of course I’ve got the 2 units in my house to send back, and that should be sufficient I think. If anyone has any experience or knowledge about who to contact about this I’d appreciate a pointer. Right now I’m trying to figure out if we need to just ship back that other old receiver or not. It’s an old HR24-500 if that matters.

Right now I figure I just got a real jerk rep, but if DTV is really going to make an ordeal out of this then I’m going to complain about his as loudly and visibly everywhere I can, and then I’ll also be contacting the California AG and the FCC to see how any of this could be legal or even tolerable.

Thanks for any help.

2 things ....
I would call back and talk with another rep (maybe the Loyalty dept) .
2nd ...
Who does that recvr on the boat belong to ?
If its Not yours, they should have never activated it ...
IF it happened to be a OWNED box, then yes, you can turn it on and off at will. But who owns it, you really shouldn't be able to activate it if it's not Your recvr.

I had this happen with me also on discount/tied to a contract extension. For what it is worth. They have to send you to a third party now who records you agreeing to the extension. When this had never happened and I asked the rep to produce the call. They dropped the contract extension

Good to know ....
Worth a try Vettejock

Status
Please reply by conversation.