DirecTV Carrying METV On KNLC Ch. 24 St. Louis On Feb 1st.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Similar here in the LA matket ...

Weigel purchased formally Spanish local KAZA-54 and moved the MeTV network there from local KVME-20. So under the "must carry" rules DIRECTV and DISH as well as most cable providers must carry the channel. So most in So. Cal can now see the network.

And boy it's a good thing too. Since KAZA was actually a "zombie" station without a real broadcast transmission when Weigel purchased it. As they surrendered their full power broadcast license channel (on RF ch. 47) in the incentive auction, and made a sharing agreement with a low power station KHTV-CD ch. 27.

Which puts out a weak signal and has some screwy PSIP info. that most of my TV ATSC tuners and my TIVO OTA have trouble reading.

Similar here in the LA matket ...

Weigel purchased formally Spanish local KAZA-54 and moved the MeTV network there from local KVME-20. So under the "must carry" rules DIRECTV and DISH as well as most cable providers must carry the channel. So most in So. Cal can now see the network.

And boy it's a good thing too. Since KAZA was actually a "zombie" station without a real broadcast transmission when Weigel purchased it. As they surrendered their full power broadcast license channel (on RF ch. 47) in the incentive auction, and made a sharing agreement with a low power station KHTV-CD ch. 27.

Which puts out a weak signal and has some screwy PSIP info. that most of my TV ATSC tuners and my TIVO OTA have trouble reading.
Whats the chances that ME TV could go Conus ?
I think the CW is as well as I can get it most places I visit.

I'm not sure how the "Must Carry" rules work and what make you a Must Carry station.

Whats the chances that ME TV could go Conus ?
I think the CW is as well as I can get it most places I visit.

I'm not sure how the "Must Carry" rules work and what make you a Must Carry station.
Don't think there's a chance for MeTV to be placed on a CONUS beam tp. As the network is contractually bounded to local station OTA distribution.

And while not an expert myself on the local station "must carry" rules. I think it means that all full service stations in a market under the "carry one station, carry all" rule may ...

1) Demand an MVPD provider carry their signal, but without retransmission fees.

2) Request an MVPD carry their signal for retransmission fee compensation.

3) Elect not to have an MVPD carry their signal usually because the MVPD refuses to pay the requested retransmission fee.

But the problem with getting MeTV on the satellite carriers are two-fold since they don't carry a local station's secondary subchannels due to bandwidth limitations unless they are one of the big four networks.

So you need to have MeTV carried on the main ".1" channel of a local full service station for DIRECTV or DISH to carry the network.

Don't think there's a chance for MeTV to be placed on a CONUS beam tp. As the network is contractually bounded to local station OTA distribution.

And while not an expert myself on the local station "must carry" rules. I think it means that all full service stations in a market under the "carry one station, carry all" rule may ...

3) Elect not to have an MVPD carry their signal usually because the MVPD refuses to pay the requested retransmission fee.

But the problem with getting MeTV on the satellite carriers are two-fold since they don't carry a local station's secondary subchannels due to bandwidth limitations unless they are one of the big four networks.

So you need to have MeTV carried on the main ".1" channel of a local full service station for DIRECTV or DISH to carry the network.

Dish has a national CONUS MeTV, I happen to know.

Just wondering ...
How do we all get CW then, they too are not a .1channel, they are a sub channel as far as I know.

I use to get the CW from ...maybe it was Texas.
I now get it on channel 14 from Toledo, Ohio (thats My DMA), with the call sign WGTV, which is Channel 13 in Toledo
Checking again, I get the CW from Channel 13.2 (OTA) , while also getting the CW on channel 14 (sat delivered, I think) out of Toledo.
They do have the same programming.

Wow ... I didn't realize this until I just started looking into this with the METV thing.

Too bad I never watch CW.

Just wondering ...
How do we all get CW then, they too are not a .1channel, they are a sub channel as far as I know.

I use to get the CW from ...maybe it was Texas.
I now get it on channel 14 from Toledo, Ohio (thats My DMA), with the call sign WGTV, which is Channel 13 in Toledo
Checking again, I get the CW from Channel 13.2 (OTA) , while also getting the CW on channel 14 (sat delivered, I think) out of Toledo.
They do have the same programming.

Wow ... I didn't realize this until I just started looking into this with the METV thing.

Too bad I never watch CW.
My guess would be DIRECTV will carry a secondary subchannel if it's one of the big five instead of four as I thought...

ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and the CW.

Didn't know the CW was included now ...

That was the old Larry Rice channel that DirecTV did carry 24 before but not the - 1

Both DISH (ch82) and DTV (ch323) carry FETV (family entertainment) which is a re-broadcast of METV much of the time with religious shows mostly in the morning. As for the CW, there does not seem to be any set standard for carriage. Here in El Paso the CW is just a sub-channel although it recently went to 1080i OTA but on DTV it is still only 480i and listed in the guide twice a channel 8 for some odd reason.

CW is a primary channel for many markets and a subchannel for others. MeTV is a subchannel for most markets and a primary for some folks. If it's a full power primary, it will be on satellite in the DMA that channel serves. The national CW is pretty easy to get, well not nearly as hard as the other DNS channels. I have it and NBC. Some people get the DNS CW placed in their local channel numbers. The DNS CW channels are WDCW from Washington DC and KTLA from Los Angeles. Until recently, they used the San Diego feed for west coast.

Although strangely ...

While the now MeTV outlet KAZA-54 use to be a full service station for many years in the LA market as the Spanish Azteca America outlet. It gave up its license for big $$$ in the FCC incentive auction and is now in a CSA with low power KHTV-CD 27.

Yet I suppose there's some rule to where DIRECTV is still obligated to carry KAZA based on their former status as a long time full service station. As KHTV-CD is not carried by DIRECTV due to its low power status.

I was wondering does UverseTV carry the national feeds of METV and Heroes and Icons? They don't have them listed with channel affiliations they just show them as channels 136 and 137.

Both DISH (ch82) and DTV (ch323) carry FETV (family entertainment) which is a re-broadcast of METV much of the time with religious shows mostly in the morning. As for the CW, there does not seem to be any set standard for carriage. Here in El Paso the CW is just a sub-channel although it recently went to 1080i OTA but on DTV it is still only 480i and listed in the guide twice a channel 8 for some odd reason.

MeTV has nothing to do with FETV. FETV at one time carried part of the CoziTV lineup however they discontinued this last Fall and now air their own classic TV lineup that includes shows like Perry Mason, TJ Hooker, Matlock, Hazel, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Maude, Barney Miller, One Day at a Time, and more.

Yes, I believe I noticed many of the same shows on METV and FETV at approximately the same time and jumped to the wrong conclusion. Thanks for the clarification.
I’ve noticed it also on same shows on both stations

We have METV as a sub channel OTA, but it doesnt pick up very well, i wish DTV would carry it with our locals. Only thing i really watched on it is CHiPs, I love that show

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)