DirecTV Cascading Zinwell 3X4 Multiswitch ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Billsnj

Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
SNJ
CURRENT Config -- 18 inch Rnd Dish 2 LNB - Zinwell SAM 3402 3X4 Multiswitch - two (2) Series 2 Hughes SD DVR's - all working perfectly!

Question - I want to add another D* receiver or perhaps a D* DVR. Can I add another Zinwell SAM 3402 Multiswitch to the existing config (above) that will allow me to feed the "NEW" D* Receiver or DVR????
Please provide any specific issues etc etc.
NOTE: I already have in my possession the D* and the Zinwell SAM 3402 Multiswitch.
Thank You

In the past, some have taken two lines from a 3x4 to feed another 3x4 to create 6 outputs.
The other way is to use two splitters connected to the dish and then the splitters feed two 3x4s. This creates 8 outputs.

However, you won't get any of the HD channels since that dish is only for the 101 satellite.

Time to upgrade! :)

easiest thing to do is get a 3x8 multiswitch and replace the 3x4 with that
3x8 multiswitch | eBay

if you already have the multiswitch then just cascade it off of the existing one. You'll need 2 of the outputs from the exisitng switch to go to the new one

It's generally not advisable to cascade unpowered multiswitches because there are losses through the switches, not just signal but also voltage loss with the satellite/transponder selection signals. If your cable runs are short, cascading (to give you six outputs) will probably work OK, otherwise you might get 771s. Using a 2x8 (3x8) is a better solution. A powered 3x8 would be even better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.