DirecTV CEO Sees 'Logic' in a Merger with Dish Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeh would work about as well as the Sirius/XM merger. Get rid of programming that was unique to each service and the one that drives me nuts is still have separate accounts for each company so that you cannot get discounts on multiple subscriptions ( They say govt regulations but I say just so they can bring in more revenue)! Would get rid of it in both cars but wife has to have it.

I think the big difference is they both carry mostly the same stuff. The sat radios had their own channels. Big thing to be hurt potentially is tech.

Couldn't they just get together and share the same satellites and type of receiver but still sell programming separately? Or have one company sell the premiums while the other sells the base programming and still have it show up on the same bill resulting in better negotiations?

Not this again. Last thing I want is a satellite company run by Direct.

Last thing I want is my service being ran by Charlie. Been there, done that!!

Set up a holding company, that controls the satellites for both companies. Decide upon a common encryption and broadcast format (DSS vs DVB), then Dish and Directv share the channels but sell their own packages. Instead of each company having 4, 5 or 6 satellites broadcasting the same programming separately for each company, they could share use of the same sats and broadcast all the channels in HD full time and in full resolution.

Perhaps is that why charlie stepped down? I think charlie is still pissed at him self for not thinking of net flix first. Here are his own words "Falling a sleep behind the wheel". Future of Wireless and Broadband Policy - C-SPAN Video Library

If they did merge they would have over 40 million subs which could be great power when hammering out carriage agreements.

I could see this happening as osu1991 and Stargazer have posted.

Both companies share satellites and technology, but still run separately with each company offering their own programming.

I guess it was a slow day and he needed to stir the pot a bit; it may may some sense with some logic behind it; but this is going NO WHERE! A lot of this that make perfect and total sense NEVER happen and this isn't even that great.

If Directv and Dish were to merge and share satellites, either to improve pq and/or add channels, would I be able, as a Directv sub, view programming coming off Dish satellites using my current equipment?

Great:(

Keep my current equipment and not be able to view all available programming and be out of contract or upgrade to new equipment so I can watch all available programming and be stuck with a new 2yr contract.

Not a good move

this would not be a good move:eek: my face is still stinging after the XM Sirius merger:rant: higher cost, worse programming billing errors they say they are one company with two different billing offices. you have 2 radios one from each you get 2 bills no discount. not saying D* would operate like this, but we've all been burned before with a sat merger lets not let them do it too us again:doh: like the old saying goes
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
:facepalm

Not this again. Last thing I want is a satellite company run by Direct.
Better Direct than Dish. The number of subs and the better sub growth each quarter will tell you they do a better job at running a satellite company.

Status
Please reply by conversation.