Please reply by conversation.

moonman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
So. Fla.
DirecTV chan. changes today(Mar. 04)...
Maybe making room??
Universal HD is now mapped to 259 in addition to its regular spot at 74 and NASA TV has moved to 283

I don't think it is that - there is still alot of mpeg2 equip out there and there are still some grandfathered customers with UHD without the new equipment / dish.

They added another channel for HD Theater a while ago, they will probally do the same with UHD, and eventually maybe HD NET/ movies.

Then you could choose to avoid the 70s entirely in your favoriets list.

No idea on the move of NASA.

They moved Discovery HD Theater,a couple months ago,From 76 to 281. They must be trying to organize a little better. Never Know we might get some channels tomorrow. Directvs web sight lists some channels on their channel count ,that we don't have yet.

Excuse the igonorance - but why can't they move those channels in the 70's (keep those MPG2) and also map them to something in the 200's as MPG4? Everyone is happy!

Excuse the igonorance - but why can't they move those channels in the 70's (keep those MPG2) and also map them to something in the 200's as MPG4? Everyone is happy!
I believe these channels are still in the 70s and are just being mirrored on the new channels. Both versions are still MPEG2.

I'm not sure in the future if they can keep the 70s version MPEG2 and the non-70s version (like HD Theatre 281) MPEG4.

I agree with that as well, so until everyone gets new equipment we are stuck with MPEG 2 programming, We spent a lot of money monthly to get high quality programming from D*. The subs with proper equipment should be able to get all HD channels in the highest quality possible so they should get all HD channels to be MPEG 4

There are NO plans to have mpeg 2 and mpeg 4 feeds. These new channel numbers are simply mirrors of the channels in the 70s.

Directv will maintain the existing mpeg 2 HD (in it's lousy resolution) until they are ready to turn off the HD MPEG2, hopefully sometime in 2009, if WE are lucky.

I dont get why you would be an MPEG2 HD coustomer when you are missing out on all the hd that's out there today. You would be crazy not to invest into mpeg 4, but you would allways have the cheap ones. It makes too much sence to have mpeg 4 feeds on the non 70 channels as it would be apart of the trasition program. Have them in mpeg4 now and slowly turn off mpeg2. That is what I would do.

We all should be pressuring D* to do this as it servers their bottomline better as they are able to provide us with better quality channels as well as keep the mpeg2 coustomers happy untill they are fully transitioned over in 09. I have a friend who has only mpeg2 hd programming who got a letter in the mail for a free upgrade on their dish and reciver. He does not sub to any sports programming. So maybe its happening a little quicker than what we all expected.

Bob, until D11 goes active it doesn't make any sense for D* to have the old MPEG2 channels also in MPEG4 taking up bandwidth since it's not unlimited. Why take up valuable space on D10 to duplicate programming that's already available which might prevent D* lighting up more MPEG4 only HD channels, like all the Disney due this month?

Viewers have been notified....

that the mpeg2 feeds of nets at 81,83,87 and 89 will be gone as of March 31. Evidently after that date just mpeg4 available. That should free up some space!

RE: NY Nets...

the posts have indicated that the NY Nets are going mpeg4, but I believe someone in these forums mentioned that it would be after the new sat was up??? later this month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts