DirecTV Cold Calls?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
Is this something new? I got a call yesterday from someone claiming to be with DirecTV(number was unknown) and asked me about my service. She said that looking at their records it shows I last upgraded equipment to the HR44 in May/14 I said yes that's right. Then she asked if I had a 4K tv I said yes, and then she asked if I wanted to get a free upgrade to a HR54 & 4K client to which I said no. She said that it would be absolutely free including tech visit. I still said no. Then she said that I'm not making use of my 4K tv just watching HD and proceed to tell me about all the great things on ch 106. I said I make great use of my tv with two 4K BD players running on it and that I will only upgrade to 4K service with them when and only when I can have a 12+ tuner DVR hooked directly to my AVR(which goes to my tv) with a minimum of 2tb of HDD space and have it work with my other HR24's just like my HR44 does today. I said I have absolutely no interest in having the main 4K DVR headless or not actually hooked up to my 4K TV. On that note I ended the conversation and she said that she would pass along my concerns to the engineering department. I've never gotten a call like this before so I don't know if this is a new promo or not?

Reactions: Jimbo
Legit or not, I don't know, but given the level of detail it is likely ok. They've done 4K upgrades for out of contract people for a while, it sounds like they may be actively promoting it now.
This is a little surprising as the C61k has been in short supply lately.

Is this something new? I got a call yesterday from someone claiming to be with DirecTV(number was unknown) and asked me about my service. She said that looking at their records it shows I last upgraded equipment to the HR44 in May/14 I said yes that's right. Then she asked if I had a 4K tv I said yes, and then she asked if I wanted to get a free upgrade to a HR54 & 4K client to which I said no. She said that it would be absolutely free including tech visit. I still said no. Then she said that I'm not making use of my 4K tv just watching HD and proceed to tell me about all the great things on ch 106. I said I make great use of my tv with two 4K BD players running on it and that I will only upgrade to 4K service with them when and only when I can have a 12+ tuner DVR hooked directly to my AVR(which goes to my tv) with a minimum of 2tb of HDD space and have it work with my other HR24's just like my HR44 does today. I said I have absolutely no interest in having the main 4K DVR headless or not actually hooked up to my 4K TV. On that note I ended the conversation and she said that she would pass along my concerns to the engineering department. I've never gotten a call like this before so I don't know if this is a new promo or not?
Wait for September when a real DirecTV 4K DVR will be released...

I would think it was legit seeing they knew what you had equipment wise already ... I would hope a 3rd party wouldn't have access to that info.

Agreed and even that won't matter if there are still only four channels to watch!
Right and I don't expect a lot of 4k channels to suddenly show up.

Thats one reason why I don't see the big push with 4k, outside of streaming at the moment .... D* is the only one that has it available and at that its very limited. (live)

Right and I don't expect a lot of 4k channels to suddenly show up.

Thats one reason why I don't see the big push with 4k, outside of streaming at the moment .... D* is the only one that has it available and at that its very limited. (live)

Never say never. They have the room for it. And the technical capability to do it.

Never say never. They have the room for it. And the technical capability to do it.
That is true, but are those channels in 4K actually out there ?

Even if they are, do they have contracts all ready ?

I'm thinking it will happen eventually, but its gonna be awhile.

Status
Please reply by conversation.