DIRECTV Confirms Channel Moves

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cinemax has been a joke forever, but the promise of HBO expansion coupled with the price hike, then the non-delivery was bull....:rant:

Cinemax isn't really much of a joke anymore they usually get most of the movie premieres there before HBO does nowadays. HBO is mostly focused on Original programming first movies second at least on the main channel. Cinemax also has their HD Adult programming! :dev

If you read between the lines it looks like they are adding some HBO and Cinemax channels. Why else would you need added channel spaces?

They'd better. A June of 2007 press release said by fall of 2007 they'd carry 11 HBO/MAX channels in HD. Many people forgot about this or don't care. As of today, March 18th, 2010, they still only have the flagship east and west of HBO and Max. 4 channels! This is not acceptable this day in age.

For a few months before I moved I had the luxury of having FIOS, with all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD. Then I had to settle for just the four channels after I moved and found that I couldn't get FIOS. So it was back to just DirecTV.

I cannot wait until I can get away from DirecTV on the basis of having a horrible premium HD channel selection. It will certainly make things nicer if they give us more premiums in HD while I wait.

Aside from the premiums, I am generally happy with DirecTV's DVRs, channels, etc. But premium channels are make or break for me. Adding the channels they'd promised back in 2007 is a start in the right direction.

As I said people will whine no matter what they ad because the one nich channel they love is not one of the new HD's they add.

I got to be honest, all the channels I personally watch are all in HD now. So any other new HD channels are just gravy. :D

As I said people will whine no matter what they ad because the one nich channel they love is not one of the new HD's they add.

I got to be honest, all the channels I personally watch are all in HD now. So any other new HD channels are just gravy. :D

I'd like DIY in hd. Amy Matthews in hd!

All this premium movie channels are a waste of space. In todays technology with the DVR all you need is one HBO, MAX, SHO, STARZ, TMC in HD. If you really want to watch a movie in HD rent it. But the National Channels like Travel or Fox Soccer HD you can't rent. It's nice to have them all in HD but before we get more premium channels I would rather see more National HD.

This is a really foolish thought process. Many of us are very frustrated with the lack of HD premiums with DirecTV. If you cannot see the value of having all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD over just having the flagships and a DVR, you just don't get it. Nobody is going to change your mind. Many of us would jump ship in a heartbeat for premium channels.

I used this example before when somebody (maybe you) used your argument about the premium channels. When George Carlin died, HBO COMEDY aired a ton of George Carlin specials. These specials were not aired at all during that same month on the flagship HBO. So having a DVR and the flagship HBO does one no good if the content isn't aired during that month on that channel. There are plenty of examples of the multichannels not airing the same movies or series during the same month as the flagship. Additionally, sometimes people like to sit down and flip channels or pull up something that is on spontaneously with no planning. I have discovered hundreds of movies I would have otherwise never seen due to flipping. If you don't know a movie exists, you don't know to get it off Netflix, buy it, or DVR it when it airs on the flagship.

With the Internet, DVRs, and Netflix, there is as much need as ever for multichannels and we want them in HD. Multichannels are far from obsolete.

^^ I think he was referring to the fact that we only have one Cinemax channel in HD...which is definitely a joke. West & East are the same thing.

Yeah, the lack of 5Starmax, Actionmax, @max, etc... is a joke. I think it looked like they were saying Cinemax is a joke, not DirecTV's Cinemax channel selection being a joke.

Beginning March 17, SHOWTIME®, Starz®, Encore®, Cinemax® and HD Extra Pack will be moving to new channel ranges to make room for HD channels that will be launching this April. The move will take place over a six–week period, ending on April 21.

I'm sure they mean "we'll" be launching and not "will" be launching. I doubt they are new channels and I doubt most people are dumb enough to be convinced that HBO Signature HD for example is a new launch. Most people who are fans of HBO know that DirecTV not only lacks HBO Comedy and HBO Zone, but that all 26 HBO/MAX channels are available in HD already. We just don't get them with D*.

It will be funny if they try to pull it off like they are adding these channels as they go online. Few will fall for it though.

Yeah, the lack of 5Starmax, Actionmax, @max, etc... is a joke. I think it looked like they were saying Cinemax is a joke, not DirecTV's Cinemax channel selection being a joke.

I couldnt agree more. There way too many times I have time to watch a movie and HBO or Cinemax and the one I want is on a Non-HD channel. I surely hope the shuffle results in more Premium HD as everyone believes along with the Directv webpage. It would even be better if they also add HBO On Demand,

Do you guys think we will be getting all HBO and Cinemax channels in HD? We do pay enough a month for it now!

I think with the gaps in channels numbers they've now created with the new channel assignments, I think it they are going to add most if not all. There will now be room for 14 HBOs and 10 Cinemaxes if D* chooses to use all of those possible channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.