DirecTV Contract Lies - Need Assistance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

david22585

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Hey fellow sateliteguys users, I'm having a little contract issue with DTV at the moment that I can hope to have cleared up soon. I purchased a HR22-100 HD/DVR from a private individual that was not a leased unit from DTV. When I called to have the receiver activated on DTV, I gave them the information before ever activating it onto my service to verify that the unit was in fact not leased, and customer owned. When I gave the CSR the information, she advised me that the unit was NOT leased, and that I would own the unit, and not be under a 24 month programming commitment.

To also keep me as a DTV customer, they offered me 12 months free HD, 6 months free DVR, and 3 months free showtime, cinemax and HBO. This was to just keep me as a DirecTV customer. I also needed a dish upgrade for the HD, and I was advised that it would not put me into a contract or contract extension. After the dish was installed, I called to verify that I was still not under contract, but I come to find out that they put me into a contract till 01/20/2011. The CSR told me that I owned the unit, and didn't get any new receivers from them, and when the dish upgrade went into the computer system, the computer saw upgrade and automatically switch it to a new contract. She said that the computer was wrong, and that it will be fixed within 48 hours.

Fast forward to almost 2 weeks later, I call to verify that the change has been made. I was told that the receiver is now under leased status, and I do not own the unit. When I inquired to find out more information about this, they advised me that it was because I activated a leased receiver onto my account. When I told them that I owned the unit, they said I was wrong. When I spoke to a different department at DTV, the CSR advised me that it was because I changed my programming level, and that when I changed my programming level and accepted the free HD/DVR promo, that I agreed to a longer contract. I was never advised about this so called contract extension, and this was to just keep me as a customer. When asked if I will be put into a contract, they told me no. Now my programming level hasn't changed, all I did was add the HD service which I was advised would be free to keep me as a customer because I was considering switching to dish network. Now they are giving me a world of headaches.

I was wondering if anyone delt with a situation like this before. The unit came up as not being leased in their system, and now it is AFTER a CSR told me that I shouldn't be in a contract. It seems that they did a little switching after the fact to lock me into a contract. I was wondering what course of action I have for this.

-David

Last edited:
I didn't think there was such a thing as an owned HR22. Unless the private individual paid well over $500.00 for it, it is leased, and the Csr that told you it was owned didn't have a clue. The HR 21 Pro could be bought for around 579.00.

I didn't think there was such a thing as an owned HR22. Unless the private individual paid well over $500.00 for it, it is leased, and the Csr that told you it was owned didn't have a clue. The HR 21 Pro could be bought for around 579.00.

The individual that I purchased it from advised me that his company purchased these, and that they had no use for them. he advised me that they were owned by the company, and not directv, and that I would not be in a lease. 3 customer service reps told me the same thing, that I would not be in a contract and DTV did NOT own the unit.

Man... with all due respect, you got a TON of free stuff AND a new dish. While I understand what you were told about the receiver, I would take that deal in a second (unless you paid like over $100 for the receiver.) :cool:

Last edited:
Getting a free dish and install = a new contract. However, I do think you have a beef with the leased vs. owned aspect. How much did you pay for the DVR?

On a related note, do you have to go on line or call to get a rebate after the initial bill for the 23 dollars different on your base programming?:D

Getting a free dish and install = a new contract. However, I do think you have a beef with the leased vs. owned aspect. How much did you pay for the DVR?

The only thing installed was them unhooking the dish, and putting the new dish on, nothing else. I was told that it would not extend the contract, and they even said that today when I spoke with them. I paid well over $300 for this receiver since it was customer owned and not leased. DTV tells me that unless I paid $500 for it, they won't do anything.

On a related note, do you have to go on line or call to get a rebate after the initial bill for the 23 dollars different on your base programming?:D

No $23 credit for me.

Man... with all due respect, you got a TON of free stuff AND a new dish. While I understand what you were told about the receiver, I would take that deal in a second. :cool:

I took the deal under a certain assumption. They wanted to keep me, because I can get a lot more from Dish for cheaper. But I decided to stay because of their offer, not in contract.

Hmmmm.................seems to me you got all that free stuff and are not satisfied because you are in a 2 year contract. Have some loyalty and enjoy

7 years as a D*tv sub and absolutely loving it.

Hmmmm.................seems to me you got all that free stuff and are not satisfied because you are in a 2 year contract. Have some loyalty and enjoy

7 years as a D*tv sub and absolutely loving it.

I love the server, I do NOT love the customer service. My problem comes in that I may be moving in 4-5 months to somewhere where they may not allow DTV, so then I am stuck. I told the rep that over the phone when they were giving me the deals this, and they said that I could at least use this time to see how I like their services. If it comes down to that, I was going to cancel my service and keep the box until I can go somewhere that allows DTV to be installed and start service again. Thats where my problem comes in, DTV lied to me about the contract issue, and I may be stuck with it because they are a big business and can chose to do as they see fit, even if it involves deceptive practices.

Also, after I had it activated, I was told that it was a owned unit and not leased, and that DTV was wrong and it should be fixed asap. Now after they submit the report to get it fixed, it comes up as a leased unit? Seems a little odd to me.

I think you do have a legitimate gripe about the owned vs. lease issue and you should pursue that. I still don't understand why people are so dead set on owning the boxes vs. leasing them. In the end look how much it cost (you paid $300 vs. the $199 upgrade fee if you leased it, plus you still have to pay a mirror fee if you have more than one box), and look how much time and grief it is causing. Plus, what are you going to do with it when you cancel service? Sell it on ebay? You'll never get your initial investment back.

Now, on the free dish/contract issue: why would they give you free equipment..about $150 worth...plus a free install..again about $100-150 worth..if you could cancel the next day? The whole point of the free stuff is that they sign you to a contract and they recover the cost based on the fact they know for a fact you will be a subscriber for the term of the contract OR they will get an ETF from you.

As for you moving, if that is your main concern..when you move and you cannot physically get service, they will waive the ETF.

I think you do have a legitimate gripe about the owned vs. lease issue and you should pursue that. I still don't understand why people are so dead set on owning the boxes vs. leasing them. In the end look how much it cost (you paid $300 vs. the $199 upgrade fee if you leased it, plus you still have to pay a mirror fee if you have more than one box), and look how much time and grief it is causing. Plus, what are you going to do with it when you cancel service? Sell it on ebay? You'll never get your initial investment back.

Now, on the free dish/contract issue: why would they give you free equipment..about $150 worth...plus a free install..again about $100-150 worth..if you could cancel the next day? The whole point of the free stuff is that they sign you to a contract and they recover the cost based on the fact they know for a fact you will be a subscriber for the term of the contract OR they will get an ETF from you.

As for you moving, if that is your main concern..when you move and you cannot physically get service, they will waive the ETF.

I wanted to own the box so if I live in my next place for only a few months or a year, I could still use the box that I had. Thats why I didn't want to be in contract. I would keep the box in case of no service. Now with the new place I will be moving into, a dish can be installed, and it has a LOS, but I don't own the place and the owner will not allow the dish to be installed. So I cannot get service there.

I wanted to own the box so if I live in my next place for only a few months or a year, I could still use the box that I had. Thats why I didn't want to be in contract. I would keep the box in case of no service. Now with the new place I will be moving into, a dish can be installed, and it has a LOS, but I don't own the place and the owner will not allow the dish to be installed. So I cannot get service there.

Then you will be able to get out of the contract without an ETF.

This is why many companies who deal with contracts are going to the "no negotiating" method of doing business. This used to be a pretty big problem in the wireless industry and now most of the major carriers only do contracts with new documented equipment. FYI: Verbal means nothing.

This is why many companies who deal with contracts are going to the "no negotiating" method of doing business. This used to be a pretty big problem in the wireless industry and now most of the major carriers only do contracts with new documented equipment. FYI: Verbal means nothing.

Verbal may mean nothing, but yet they have no written agreement to extend my contract.

When I asked for them to pull the tapes of when I had the box checked, they refused.

Did you sign a work order when you had the equipment installed? I'd read that very carefully.

I did, but that was just to verify that the work was done. The lease "start" date is almost a week before the work was done. The lease was resigned according to them when I added the receiver, not the dish.

I was referring to the contract, not the lease. If I were you I'd produce the receipt from where you purchased the receiver and if you bought it off an individual see if you can get the receipt from where they purchased it.

Ok, so get this. I called back to see what information they needed from the company that I purchased it from to verify that it was not a leased unit. The lady in the correct department reviewed the notes on the account, and saw that I do own this receiver and that it is not leased. She changed it back over, and noted the account that the date in the computer was wrong, and that a previous supervisor noted the same thing on the 22nd of Jan, but the other CSR's failed to look at that note. So she said I do own the receiver now, and that I am not in contract. I will call and verify this tomorrow, but if its true, I am going to write a very good letter or praise for this CSR that took the time to read what was on my account, and change it over to how it should be.

I will let you guys and gals on here know the outcome also. But as it stands, the DTV CSR noted the account that I am not in contract and not to be charged any fee's, and she changed the receiver to customer owned and not leased.

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to own a receiver. What are you going to do when it fails and you own a $300 boat anchor? A failed receiver will be replaced by D* for a $19.95 shipping charge but you will get no credit for the one you bought. A landlord can not prevent you from installing a dish as long as you have a private use area to put it. See this link: FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas Just make sure the place you rent has a south facing exposure.

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to own a receiver. What are you going to do when it fails and you own a $300 boat anchor? A failed receiver will be replaced by D* for a $19.95 shipping charge but you will get no credit for the one you bought. A landlord can not prevent you from installing a dish as long as you have a private use area to put it. See this link: FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas Just make sure the place you rent has a south facing exposure.

And even better, what do people expect to do with the receiver after they cancel service? It's as if you tried to call Charter to buy a Scientific Atlanta box that you could keep after you cancel cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)