Directv contract with Fox networks coming up...AGREEMENT REACHED

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The thing is, by Directv (threatening to) yank the channels first, it's a pre-emptive strike against Fox. It gives Directv the upper hand in the negotiations. Fox is getting ballsy because they were able to basically extort huge hikes out of Cablevision, Comcast, TWC, and Dish by pulling the channels off those providers and holding them hostage, and now they want to try it with Directv. Except it seems like Mike White has the balls to stand up against Fox and tell them no we're not paying a 40% hike, rather than bend over and take it up the keister like Charlie, Brian Roberts, Glenn Britt, and the Dolans did. If you let one company walk all over you, they're ALL going to do it (I know ABC and Scripps [HGTV/Food Network/et al] have both bent Cablevision over before Fox did).

It's the same reason we don't negotiate with terrorists.

Watch for what you are bragging about, it might bite you and Directv right in the arse; and you might end up like Dish and MSG or TWC and the NFL Network. Drawing lines in the sand might bring this into a real confrontation rather than a mutual satisfactory settlement. Once again the subscriber is the pawn in the battle of multi-billion dollar corporations.

But unlike your precious DIsh that just drops the channel Directv will work it out

i know Juan has a rep for pot stirring but in this case he may simply be pointing out why the two sides might be far apart as opposed to taking sides or speculating on the outcome.

Hopefully it won't become like the Dish-FOX fiasco we had a year ago (Can't believe it's been a year already.:eek:)
The difference is, Fox need Direct more than they need any other provider, as Direct is not only one of the largest providers, it is pretty much the only provider that carries all of the sports programming on those Fox sports channels

The sad thing is that the only loser in the game is the customer. If the Broadcaster demands and gets a large increase in the carriage license, then the Satellite Provider will pass some of that onto the customer. If a smaller increase is negotiated, then the channels may go dark for a few days while the deal is signed off on.

You would think that intelligent human beings would be able to say..."Look, you're here and we're there. We both know that we're going to end up at a mid point between those positions. Let's cut to the chase." :)

But unlike your precious DIsh that just drops the channel Directv will work it out

Uh, huh, like they did with Yes... :)

D* has a better record of not dropping channels, but it isn't like it has never happened nor been heard of. And Fox has shown more belligerence in these past few negotiations, so we may see a period when they aren't on D*.

Intresting info Direct put together on the website, I wonder though with them revewing there average in resolving a programming dispute in a about a month average, if they think they may be pulled temporary?

Watch for what you are bragging about, it might bite you and Directv right in the arse; and you might end up like Dish and MSG or TWC and the NFL Network. Drawing lines in the sand might bring this into a real confrontation rather than a mutual satisfactory settlement. Once again the subscriber is the pawn in the battle of multi-billion dollar corporations.

The difference is, Fox need Direct more than they need any other provider, as Direct is not only one of the largest providers, it is pretty much the only provider that carries all of the sports programming on those Fox sports channels

We have a winnah!

Play all the hardball you want Directv.

Just have your spat decided and the check wrote by Monday. Red Wings play Tuesday night the 1st.

Of the $150+ I pay a month, most of my personal justification is NFL, NHL, and MLB, particularly local games.

I'm sure most feel the same way.

Islandguy43 said:

Always a possibility, however, history shows D* generally dxoes pretty well with resolving these issue vs dropping them.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Always a possibility, however, history shows D* generally dxoes pretty well with resolving these issue vs dropping them.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

You would hope so...it seems to me it would be russian roulette to play with your sportsnets after bragging to the masses...that if you want sports Directv is the place to go.

How will this effect NHL Center Ice subscribers? I live in Chicago, but am a St. Louis Blues follower. Will I still get FSMW feed via the NHL Center Ice channel or does that go away as well? I haven't signed up yet, but I was going to after the free trial runs out this weekend.

NewsCorp's (FOX) CEO is the former CEO of DirecTV, when they were owned by NewsCorp (FOX). He knows the workings of both corporations. Edge to NewsCorp (FOX).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)