DirecTV D12 Receiver on existing HughesNet dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JesseWV

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
WV
Would a D12 receiver pick up DirecTV satellites using an existing in-use HughesNet dish utilizing a -3.5db 2-way splitter?

No, it won't work through a cable splitter.

It will work off the dish though.

If the LNB has 2 ports, the dish is capable of handling 2 receivers.
If you need more, then you will need a mutiswitch.

The location previously had both data and video back when it was DirecDuo. I'll have to check to see whether there are two coax lines coming down from the roof.

I missed something, is it a big oval hughesnet internet dish or is it one of the old direct tv 18" dishes that said Hughes on it.

Two completely different dishes.
One will work and the other will not.

It's actually almost rectangular with the short edges rounded. It's over 3 feet tall.

If it looks like this but with "Hughes" written on it, it will work

DI18RC.jpg

If it does not then it probably won't

I think this is it:

DirecWay .74m Oval
(Old Style - White)
Size: 23"t x 39"w

dw_74_old.JPG

Pretty sure there is a separate LNB attached to the arm for the DTV . Got one in a pile out back!

Joe

What I'm trying to do is hook the D12 from my basement to the dish at work. I don't think SWM even existed back when my workplace had DirecTV so I am unsure of the compatibility. Please forgive my ignorance and thank you for your help thus far.

I am guessing here myself but:

The dish has to be set to the correct compass line (azimuth) and elevation.

The LNB has to be mounted on the arm at the correct focal distance.

The receiver has to be set for the correct dish / LNB (probably round 18" in the selections)

It is posiible to do this with some playing around with components...but you can get another round dish with a working LNB pretty ez & cheap most places.
I'll look at my junk pile, however. Might have a hint for ya.

Joe

I am not familiar with that dish as I never worked with them.

However, that being said, if it worked with Direct before, then it should work now.
Sounds as if the wires are there, so just plug your receiver on to the same line it used to be plugged in to.
If the receiver is set to swm, you will have to do a repeat satellite set up and just set it for an 18" dish.

When you take it back home, if you plug the power in after connecting everything, it will reset to swm on its own.

I remember a separate LNB for the DirecTV service and a different fixture for the internet up & down links. Forgot to look in my pile of junk dishes today.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)