$$ DirecTV Deal updates $$ No more HD for Life < PREMIER, $250 BB GC, $180 CostCo GC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaj1701

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Rochester, MN DMA #153
So, here is what changed from 7/21 to 7/22 (thru 10/6/10)

To get FREE HD for LIFE, you might sign up for and maintain PREMIER!

Best Buy's Gift Card program dropped to $50 + $200 from $50 + $300 (unless you buy specific models of Panasonic 3D HDTVs, then it's $50 + $400).

CostCo's Gift Card program dropped from $50 + $200 to $50 + $130.

As expected (as was available before 7/22) 5 Free Months of Premier with 5x $59.99 for NFL Sunday Ticket. Then no discounts besides FREE HD for LIFE.

Can't confirm if the 2nd year $14 discount is still regional or not. It is not reflected in Best Buy's new discount brochure. I still would qualify where I live.

....otherwise, things are pretty much the same.

oh, BTW, the brochure I got last week showing smaller monthly discounts and only $150 in rebates was LAST YEARS brochure they had put out.

Did anyone else notice this new thing as well.......

WHOLE HOME DVR service REQUIRED to get a free HD-DVR and free HD receiver. Without Whole Home DVR service, you only get a free HD receiver. I couldn't find any documentation concerning Whole Home DVR service needing to be maintained. This is for all packages from Choice Xtra up to Premier.

Whole home DVR service requires HD and DVR service as well. So basically, your talking $20/mo for getting the extra receivers. You could have gotten buy with just the $7 DVR fee plus the free HD service up to 7/21.

they call those deals?

I am not into this like most of you guys, but americas top 120+ with your locals and regional sports network and HD free for life for 29.99 a month is a steal with dish, but I am not into all the movie channels and niche channels. I guess the only thing I am missing is NFL network as a sports fan and maybe Versus for hockey.

isnt this HD free for life a scam anyway? aren't all channels going to MPEG4 soon?

To get FREE HD for LIFE, you might sign up for and maintain PREMIER!
So the free HD for life isn't really for life then?

They should call it FREE HD FOR AS LONG AS YOU HAVE OUR MOST EXPENSIVE PACKAGE then.

Hmm yeah I get the Free HD without having to have the Premier but yeah that would not be cool if you have to get the highest plan. I would think they would let you choose at least the plan below that.

Hmm yeah I get the Free HD without having to have the Premier but yeah that would not be cool if you have to get the highest plan. I would think they would let you choose at least the plan below that.

This is their new promotion that IMO, it's pretty bad. The previous offer was really good but I don't know about this one.

D* must concentrate on selling as many ST's as possible to impress the NFL, I wonder why they made this deal so unattractive. I was actually waiting to see what it was this year.

thankfully I was able to "move" to my favorite city

I agree Scott. Yeah, a lot changed after 7/21.

WAS Free HD for life was with any package CHOICE or above. NOW Premier only.

WAS 1 free HD-DVR and 1 free HD receiver with Choice Xtra or above. NOW with MRV only. Truthfully, I wouldn't consider NOT paying the $3 extra for multi-room viewing....but still, it's a change.....and I'm NOT sure if that needs to be maintained.

The rebate amounts reduced from Best Buy ($100 less) and Costco ($70 less) w/HDTV purchase.

BING 40% cashback for initial costs (install and/or equipment costs) will end 7/30.

But, the 2nd year $14/mo discount is still activate for many areas. That's almost as much as DISH's first year discount. I still think DirecTV is the best choice unless you would truly be happy with the channels in the TOP120 with Dish, then Dish is an option. I have 4 HD-DVRs on my account....I'd need a 2nd mortgage to do that with Dish.

It seems like matching the HD for life was a knee jerk reaction to DISH's offering that DirecTV didn't feel they needed to continue - or - just really needed to focus on Sunday ticket sales and offered it on that level only to try to push people up to that level. It is interesting that they don't feel the need to continue matching that offer on all levels.

I agree, Dish is much better with the HD for Life offers. I am lucky that I joined before 7/21. All I have to do is maintain my autopay and keep myself in one of the choice packages. I have a feeling though that if you ever mess up your autopay you will have a hell of a time getting your HD for life back.

As a previously 8 year dish customer, they automatically add HD for life onto my account. I did not have to do anything, no package restrictions or autopay requirements. I believe with new subscribers there might of been an autopay requirement. Direct is definately not matching Dish's promotion here. Maybe they feel that will the new whole home dvr technology they don't have to totally match dish's promotions and are relying on the new technolgy to bring in new customers. What I don't understand is why not reward your existing customers with a little freebie with not a lot of strings attached?

isnt this HD free for life a scam anyway? aren't all channels going to MPEG4 soon?

What do these have to do with each other. Just because a channel(s) is in MPEG4, does NOT mean D* has to give it to you in HD for FREE.

Look at all the MPEG4 local markets - those locals are put up in HD only, but unless you have HD access on your account, you can watch them ONLY in SD.

BTW, I don't know where people keep coming up with this, but they will NOT be switching ALL channels to MPEG4 "soon". There are too many SD only receivers out there now - not to mention the fact that D* is STILL installing MPEG2 SD receivers in most local markets for SD only subs, so this should give you a clue how fast everything will be MPEG4... ;) ;)

NFL CBA expires in March 2011. Next season is up in the air. Seems like the NBA and NFL could both be locked out in 2011, should be interesting.

What do these have to do with each other. Just because a channel(s) is in MPEG4, does NOT mean D* has to give it to you in HD for FREE.

Look at all the MPEG4 local markets - those locals are put up in HD only, but unless you have HD access on your account, you can watch them ONLY in SD.

BTW, I don't know where people keep coming up with this, but they will NOT be switching ALL channels to MPEG4 "soon". There are too many SD only receivers out there now - not to mention the fact that D* is STILL installing MPEG2 SD receivers in most local markets for SD only subs, so this should give you a clue how fast everything will be MPEG4... ;) ;)

as I stated earlier in this thread, I am not into this sat stuff like most of you so I didn't know mpeg4 wasn't all HD. :neener

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)