Directv Dish/FTA Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SJC408

Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
I have a question. Would I be able to use my existing Directv RCA dish with my FTA MPEG2 receiver? or would I need to buy another dish that comparable?

See i'm still undecided of what to buy but I guess i'll go with Digiwave receiver and want to know if my Directv dish would be useful with FTA? Of course i'm not planning on hacking anything, NO WAY :no just want to know if it'll work. The dish is Round about 7.5" (not too sure).

Any suggestions? :D

How large does the reflecter have to be? and is Directv dish c/ku comparable?

The DirecTv/Dish Network dishes are only good for the audio channels on Dish & ExpressVu and a couple other channels.

Check out http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25452 for more info on that

Normal FTA requires a 30” or larger dish and a KU band LNBF. Dish/Direct uses a different type of LNB.

FTA KU Band-30” or larger
DBS is 18 or 20”

You can use both together. I have a 18” aimed at ExpressVu for the radio stations across Canada that they have in the clear : )

I'll check out that post. But yeah, my dad keep bugging me to get some info on those satellite receivers & dishes. I'll tell him "dad, I have to keep searching more info before we could buy one", I guess parents don't understand lol :p

Anyway, thanks Iceberg & tdti1 for your input :D

Before I go, one more question, do you guys know what would a good place to buy satellite dishes/receivers? I live in California in the 95127 area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

SJC408 said:
How large does the reflecter have to be? and is Directv dish c/ku comparable?

No the DBS dish of that size is good for Ku-band and it has a circular LNBF, like Ice said it can get some free music a soccer channels and thats about it, a larger reflector in the range of 33"-90cm or more is also only for Ku-band place a linear LNBF on a dish like this and you will get a ton of free TV from around the world, a motor is a great addition to this setup.

Then you have a fullview system big dish from about 8.5'-24' and up these dishes are able to catch feeds on both bands c/ku of course only with the right feedhorn and lnb's or lnbf's.

Cheapest is not always the best - Depending on what you want. Try to buy a package deal to save on shipping.

I have a Traxis DVB 2500, a Fortec Lifetime Ultra, and I recently picked up a Megasat which is a Pansat 2500/Fortec Ultra clone I guess. The Traxis seems to have less delay when changing channels, but there is no blind search (called power search on the Fortec). The picture quality is slightly better on the Traxis, but I think the difference is small. I'd prefer the blind search feature since this is what you need to find the wild feeds on your own (but this site is great for helping those who don't have blind search receivers).

If you search the Internet for websites that sell receivers, be aware of the scam sites. Any site that sells "blackbirds", "silverbirds," "bluebirds," "pinkbirds" or and other type of "***bird" or makes a claim that the receiver opens up all channels is probably promoting the sale of receivers for illegal use (even though they won't admit it). Stay away from these sites. If you want DISH or Direct TV - pay for it :)

As for Ebay. I purchased my Megasat for $100 including shipping. I've had no problems with it, and the receiver came flashed with the legal version of Pansat 2500 firmware.

I also purchased my Traxis on Ebay. The satellite list is out of date, and there is a firmware upgrade to update this list; however, my serial port does not appear to be working. I have tried to contact the seller, but he is not returning my emails nor is he currently selling anything on Ebay. So you have now been warned that you can find a great price on ebay, but don't expect any after-sale support (unless the seller happens to be a reputable retailer).

Here's my must get list:
1. A 90CM dish - I have an 80CM dish and I have a problem bringing in NBC on AMC4. My dish is a Fortec Star, but many people like the Winegard

2. A receiver that does blind search and allows you to use a motor and diseq switch at the same time. I like to Fortec Star Ultra - good features for the price. The Megasat clone is cheaper (if you can find it) and appears to do everything the Fortec does, but the Fortec has more support. The Traxis does not support both a motor and switch at the same time.

3. A bracket to allow both a circular lnb and a linear lnb to be mounted. This will allow you to get the radio stations on the Echostar satellites that are in the clear. You can also get Angel One and NASA - both ITC. Of course, you could mount your DBS dish and feed it through the DISEQC switch, but you could not move to the other Echostar Nimq satellites.

4. A DISEQ Switch to run both lnbs through the motor to the receiver

5. A dish mover (motor)

Trust me. If you don't do this up front, you will end up doing it later. I went cheap to start, and now I have all of this. I've been doing this hobby for 8 months. I would have saved probably $50 to $75 dollars if I would have done a package deal up front which may include most of the items listed.

Moderators: I'm always careful to not speak H*Talk. If please edit if anything I mentioned is out of line. Thanks.

Another suggestion may be to wait until June for the new CP/LP Invacom LNBF that will work for circular and linear polarity signals (QPH-031). You would be able to save $ on the dual LNB bracket/DBS LNB/switch and will make life a lot easier in the long run, its a good idea to have a spare LNBF anyway.....just a suggestion : )

Good point PSB.
I didn't have the patience to wait. The dual polarity lnb would take care of my switch problem for the Traxis 2500. My temporary fix was to run a cable from the Fortec to the Traxis. I have a feeling I will be buying a second dish and motor in the future. Of course, I may hold off on this and move up to C-Band. No association to worry about, but I will probably need wife's approval for C-band :D

rjc3895 said:
Cheapest is not always the best - Depending on what you want. Try to buy a package deal to save on shipping.

I have a Traxis DVB 2500, a Fortec Lifetime Ultra, and I recently picked up a Megasat which is a Pansat 2500/Fortec Ultra clone I guess. The Traxis seems to have less delay when changing channels, but there is no blind search (called power search on the Fortec). The picture quality is slightly better on the Traxis, but I think the difference is small. I'd prefer the blind search feature since this is what you need to find the wild feeds on your own (but this site is great for helping those who don't have blind search receivers).

If you search the Internet for websites that sell receivers, be aware of the scam sites. Any site that sells "blackbirds", "silverbirds," "bluebirds," "pinkbirds" or and other type of "***bird" or makes a claim that the receiver opens up all channels is probably promoting the sale of receivers for illegal use (even though they won't admit it). Stay away from these sites. If you want DISH or Direct TV - pay for it :)

As for Ebay. I purchased my Megasat for $100 including shipping. I've had no problems with it, and the receiver came flashed with the legal version of Pansat 2500 firmware.

I also purchased my Traxis on Ebay. The satellite list is out of date, and there is a firmware upgrade to update this list; however, my serial port does not appear to be working. I have tried to contact the seller, but he is not returning my emails nor is he currently selling anything on Ebay. So you have now been warned that you can find a great price on ebay, but don't expect any after-sale support (unless the seller happens to be a reputable retailer).

Here's my must get list:
1. A 90CM dish - I have an 80CM dish and I have a problem bringing in NBC on AMC4. My dish is a Fortec Star, but many people like the Winegard

2. A receiver that does blind search and allows you to use a motor and diseq switch at the same time. I like to Fortec Star Ultra - good features for the price. The Megasat clone is cheaper (if you can find it) and appears to do everything the Fortec does, but the Fortec has more support. The Traxis does not support both a motor and switch at the same time.

3. A bracket to allow both a circular lnb and a linear lnb to be mounted. This will allow you to get the radio stations on the Echostar satellites that are in the clear. You can also get Angel One and NASA - both ITC. Of course, you could mount your DBS dish and feed it through the DISEQC switch, but you could not move to the other Echostar Nimq satellites.

4. A DISEQ Switch to run both lnbs through the motor to the receiver

5. A dish mover (motor)

Trust me. If you don't do this up front, you will end up doing it later. I went cheap to start, and now I have all of this. I've been doing this hobby for 8 months. I would have saved probably $50 to $75 dollars if I would have done a package deal up front which may include most of the items listed.

Moderators: I'm always careful to not speak H*Talk. If please edit if anything I mentioned is out of line. Thanks.

Very well put : ) Haven’t seen a Pinkbird yet :D

As for the "open everything up"....well, those days are numbered :D:D

rjc3895 send her on a trip, pop up a 14.5' solid steel BUD and see if she notices LOL!!!

Over at the 4dtv/mpeg forum, there is some talk on the new Invacom lnbf, one member ordered one and will be testing soon, think he got it direct from Europe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts