DirecTV Dish Merger ?

If coax can only support 3 tuners, then Direct's Genies wouldn't work either as they are single coax solutions also. I see no technical reason that they couldn't add a couple of tuners to the Hopper.
?

Three is the max with the tech Dish is currently using in a typical install. Dish can obviously change their tech to accommodate more than three, but at a cost. Given that most Dish subs are now serviced by receivers other than Hopper would seem to indicate there isn't much current demand for super tuner systems, or at least not enough demand to warrant incurring lots of additional costs. Most subscribers have no use for lots of tuners. Want more tuners, add more Hoppers.

I hope Dish/Echostar succeeds in the wireless effort and we have a long and happy relationship.

If any merger (which I doubt will happen) forced me to lose my EHD programs or forced me to Genie like equipment, I'd be with FiOS TV so fast my own head would spin

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I hope Dish/Echostar succeeds in the wireless effort and we have a long and happy relationship. If any merger (which I doubt will happen) forced me to lose my EHD programs or forced me to Genie like equipment, I'd be with FiOS TV so fast my own head would spin Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If Charlie does get into the wireless as I was told by a dish tech that the satellite signal would go directly to your receiver and it would be wireless and no need for a dish and you wouldn't have rain fade. Was he correct on that ?

If Charlie does get into the wireless as I was told by a dish tech that the satellite signal would go directly to your receiver and it would be wireless and no need for a dish and you wouldn't have rain fade. Was he correct on that ?
Sounds a little too good to be true. I'll believe that when pigs fly(thanks GEICO).

If you believe that....Mid S Florida real estate in your future portfolio? I have a friend.....

LITERALLY... his parents bought into one of those '60's scam. Just a piece of nothing in the middle of no where.

Last edited:
DirecTV CEO: “Never Say Never” To A Merger Deal With Dish Network By DAVID LIEBERMAN, Financial Editor | Deadline.com – Thu, Aug 1, 2013 1:38 PM PDT

DirecTV CEO: “Never Say Never” To A Merger Deal With Dish Network By DAVID LIEBERMAN, Financial Editor | Deadline.com – Thu, Aug 1, 2013 1:38 PM PDT http://tv.yahoo.com/news/directv-ce...Zsb2F0aW5nTW9kdWxlc19DYWxpYnJhdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3 John Malone To Charlie Ergen: Merge Dish With DirecTV For The Industry’s Sake http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/joh...rge-dish-with-directv-for-the-industrys-sake/ Would Regulators Allow DirecTV To Merge With Dish Network? http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/directv-dish-network-possible-merger/ ...Please if wrong forum please move and I apologize :)

Three is the max with the tech Dish is currently using in a typical install. Dish can obviously change their tech to accommodate more than three, but at a cost. Given that most Dish subs are now serviced by receivers other than Hopper would seem to indicate there isn't much current demand for super tuner systems, or at least not enough demand to warrant incurring lots of additional costs. Most subscribers have no use for lots of tuners. Want more tuners, add more Hoppers.

I would tend to agree that since most, if not all, current subs to both systems are using 2 tuner DVRs for the most part, that either the Hopper or Genie could fill in nicely.

The tuner count game really only comes into play for those of us that post in these forums as we tend to watch more TV and expect more from our hardware. The average user doesn't really come into play. The tuner count game is more about marketing than anything else.
?

If Charlie does get into the wireless as I was told by a dish tech that the satellite signal would go directly to your receiver and it would be wireless and no need for a dish and you wouldn't have rain fade. Was he correct on that?

I'd say the rain-fade statement is plausible, because Dish terrestrial spectrum is at much lower infrequency than the satellite spectrum. Low frequencies are good for passing through things, such as raindrops or walls.

Whether these frequencies are suitable for an internal antenna, I have no idea. Obviously the usual Dish metal receiver cases would have to get cheapened to plastic...

Maybe it's because I do not live in huge household, but I rarely find 3 tuner limit to be a problem, and we record a ton of programs. Now, 2 tuner limit was a issue with 722, but that was before the additional tuner, and PTAT. PTAT, in particular, is a godsend.

Besides, anybody who needs more tuners, can always go the 2 Hopper route.

As for a possible merge, I am not a expert of the FCC, or law, but I find weird they approved of the satellite radio merger years later, but nixed the satellite TV merger. I do not know. Maybe I am missing something. Personally, my take is while a merger should, in theory, lower prices (e.g. more resources, money money, less employees, less satellites in space, etc.), I am not convinced prices would not go up.

And yeah, cable TV having legal monopoly is a problem, especially for folks who do not have the option of getting satellite TV.

Last edited:
I wonder if the failed merger of DISH and Directv over ten years ago was due to the fact that Charlie Ergen would of been in charge of the new merged company and the powers that be didn't like him and feared what he would do if he got his hands on Directv. There were a lot of DISH lawsuits going back then and I'm betting that that was a consideration in the decision to prevent it. After all if you can't get a business merger through D.C., when it is being run by Pro-business Republicans that control the government, then when can you?

I wonder if the failed merger of DISH and Directv over ten years ago was due to the fact that Charlie Ergen would of been in charge of the new merged company and the powers that be didn't like him and feared what he would do if he got his hands on Directv. There were a lot of DISH lawsuits going back then and I'm betting that that was a consideration in the decision to prevent it. After all if you can't get a business merger through D.C., when it is being run by Pro-business Republicans that control the government, then when can you?

Mike, the merger failed because the Department of Justice and the FCC said it would violate anti-trust laws at the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)