DirecTV Dish Merger ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The guy only has 30 posts. I bet he's not on here enough to know. I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

I still hope Charlie pulls a cellular rabbit out of a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If those two merged what would it be called ? What CEO would run it? And would they develop a hopper using swim technology? Would that lower costs for everyone? I think it would be cool to change the hoppers guide color and pick from colors.

While it has been discussed for years and we all seem to have an idea what the outcome may be. While nothing looks eminent in the near future, the chatter has been upped a bit as of late between the two companies

For some reason I've seen it more and more in the news lately. That is probably why people are coming on here asking. Again if some of you are sick of these types of threads and complain why post in it? I just don't get it. Why not ignore it and move on? Some people just can't seem to do that.

I'm not talking about everyone here. Just the same ones over and over again.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

If those two merged what would it be called ? What CEO would run it? And would they develop a hopper using swim technology? Would that lower costs for everyone? I think it would be cool to change the hoppers guide color and pick from colors.

IN 2002 they planned to keep the DIRECTV name for the new combined company but Charlie Ergen would run the new company. I could see them using the same name , but I don't know if they would let Ergen run the new company now.

It would be Joe Clayton who would run it in the either/or scenario. Charlie has been out of the day to day for over a year now.

In the late 1990's, Bell Atlantic purchased GTE in a "merger of equals" and formed the new company, Verizon. The board was a combination of the two companies' boards. I was there for three years after the merger. In that time, the company evaluated the systems and selected the best system for the new company. My GTE system was eliminated. I'm sure the process continued for a few more years. A merger between Dish and DirectTV would probably be similar. The equipment and systems would not change immediately, but over some time (5 years?), they would choose the best system for the new company.

I'd like to see what kind of equipment they can come up with when they put their engineers and patents together. Could be awesome.

I actually talked to someone pretty high up at Directv the other day, and the chances of a merger happening are very unlikely. The problem is that Rual America only has 2 Choices, Dish or Directv. When someone provides service to rual america as a 3rd provider, an argument can be made to merge the two companies. Until then, NOT GONNA HAPPEN

That 3rd provider is through Internet access. It is different, but provides the same function. With an Apple TV or Roku, I can subscribe to channels and watch movies or television shows on demand. No need for a DVR since I don't need to record anything since there is no set schedule. With the Apple ecosystem, I can download television channel apps on my iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad and watch content on my television.

Is it less expensive than Dish? No. Can I get all of the content I want? Not yet. But it is becoming a viable alternative.

Five years ago, we went from dial-up to Wild Blue because that was the only option. Wild Blue was better than dial-up, but left a lot to be desired. Now we have fixed wireless (microwave) web access at three times Wild Blue's stated speed (and about five times the actual speed) for $10 less per month. Still much more expensive than DSL, but it is getting faster and cheaper and we have more options.

If Dish and DirectTV do not make changes, they will become like Kodak, CDs, and the landline phone.

There is only high speed internet, other than satellite, in very limited areas, like hardly anywhere around here. Satellite won't work for video so there are millions and millions of customers who's only choices for video are Dish or DirecTV. Period.

I'd like to see what kind of equipment they can come up with when they put their engineers and patents together. Could be awesome.

Honestly I hope if this were to ever happen that the dish side would have most of the control over hardware.

Or, with engineers, a cat-fight mess.;)

Good point.

We had a brownout power failure yesterday.

My neighbor is an architect.
I'm an engineer.

He got out his volt meter.
I started my generator.

My wife said he should know you don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

There is only high speed internet, other than satellite, in very limited areas, like hardly anywhere around here. Satellite won't work for video so there are millions and millions of customers who's only choices for video are Dish or DirecTV. Period.

My prediction is via the cell phone companies. They have the cell towers and are converting 3G to 4G. My aunt in very northern Maine has LTE data speeds. 4G is supposed to be 3 to 6 Mbps. WiMax (IEEE 802.16) can have up to 70 Mbps for a distance of 30 miles. It won't take much, in a few years, for true high speed Internet access to be available to everyone. How much will it cost? It won't be cheap. But then again, neither is putting a satellite in orbit.

Just look at home wireless networks. Less than 15 years ago, we were happy with 802.11b at 11 Mbps. In 2002/2003, we got 54 Mbps speeds with 802.11g. Then in 2009, 802.11n gave us up to 600 Mbps. Now in 2014/2015, 802.11ac is supposed to give us 1 Gbps speeds. Essentially, that is a 9000% increase in speed in 15 years.

Cell phones are similar. Analog 1G was 28 to 56 kbps. Digital 2G (1991) was not much faster. Current 3G (2001) is 1.5 Mbps. As I said, 4G (2012) is up to 6 Mbps. Will we need to wait until 2020 for 5G? Will it be faster than 24 Mbps? Will it need to be?

Satellite TV will not be obsolete tomorrow or next year, but it will have serious competition before 2020. To stay in business, Dish and DirectTV need to begin to position themselves to compete.

We've got 4G now in a few places that aren't between the mountains. Verizon gives up 2GB a month. Let's see, that's one HD show....

It's gonna be a long, long, long time, if ever, before the boonies are covered by anything other than satellite. Now that's not to say that Dish and DirecTV shouldn't diversify and include other delivery systems like Charlie has planned. I hope he gets a cell company and this merger crap goes down the flusher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)