DirecTV& DishNetwork

I currently have Dish with 2 Hoppers 3’s and several Joey’s. I love it the Hopper’s, DVR and 4 channel split screen. Wife does not want to change. What I dislike is the lack of sports. Bally sports, nfl ticket etc. Is is possible to have both DirecTV and Dish in the same house. My first thought would be no with the conflict of being on the same wiring frequency but don’t really understand all that. Then I saw the Genie 2 for directv and It’s looks like it’s wireless? If it’s really wireless is the coverage terrible? Could I get that and not interfere with Dish? Money is not an issue. Thanks

If you have a kid in college, you can subscribe to Sunday Ticket through your XBox or Fire TV. Discounted price available for college students too. Only one stream can be active, and they check against some database to confirm your student's status, but that is a way to get Sunday Ticket without a DirecTV Sat Dish.

If you have a kid in college, you can subscribe to Sunday Ticket through your XBox or Fire TV. Discounted price available for college students too. Only one stream can be active, and they check against some database to confirm your student's status, but that is a way to get Sunday Ticket without a DirecTV Sat Dish.

That would only help him with NFLST (and if he's comfortable in blatantly violating the contract by which his kid would be receiving it) not with Bally Sports which he also mentioned as wanting that is on Directv and not Dish.

That would only help him with NFLST (and if he's comfortable in blatantly violating the contract by which his kid would be receiving it) not with Bally Sports which he also mentioned as wanting that is on Directv and not Dish.
Understood. Was just pointing out a way to solve the Sunday Ticket conundrum. I have another year until my daughter gets out of college and then I will need another solution as well.

Thanks all, I spoke with a sales rep and they said they could share the same wiring but use a splitter. I don’t buy anything they say so I’m going to go ahead and try the Genie 2 with two wired for 4K and one wireless and see how that goes or what option or opinions they give.

Thanks

Reactions: dtv757
Thanks all, I spoke with a sales rep and they said they could share the same wiring but use a splitter. I don’t buy anything they say so I’m going to go ahead and try the Genie 2 with two wired for 4K and one wireless and see how that goes or what option or opinions they give.

Thanks

The sales rep must have misunderstood what you were trying to do. They can't use the same wiring unless you only have one active at a time. You will need completely separate wiring run for Directv if you want to have both Dish and Directv in your house at the same time.

The sales rep must have misunderstood what you were trying to do. They can't use the same wiring unless you only have one active at a time. You will need completely separate wiring run for Directv if you want to have both Dish and Directv in your house at the same time.
No they completely understood but like I said I didn’t buy that. Just going to try additional wiring in basement and 1st floor and wireless upstairs.

I had the Genie 2 and 6 4K minis installed today. I’m sure it’s opinion vs opinion but I feel like DirectTV has a better picture. I’ll do them side by side later next week as I’m going to keep a Hopper 3 downstairs. Anyone else feel the picture is slightly better?

I do have one other question…. With dish we were able to program 2 remotes to the Hopper 3 and Joey’s. “Like a his and her remote” Can you pair two mini remotes to the same mini? I also noticed these are not backlit remotes. I assume you can order backlit if you wanted?

I had the Genie 2 and 6 4K minis installed today. I’m sure it’s opinion vs opinion but I feel like DirectTV has a better picture. I’ll do them side by side later next week as I’m going to keep a Hopper 3 downstairs. Anyone else feel the picture is slightly better?

I do have one other question…. With dish we were able to program 2 remotes to the Hopper 3 and Joey’s. “Like a his and her remote” Can you pair two mini remotes to the same mini? I also noticed these are not backlit remotes. I assume you can order backlit if you wanted?
You Can do 2 remotes, but I don't have the info as to How to program it.

As for the Picture quality, your asking for a huge debate as everyone has thier own opinion ...

I think it's better on D*, but I also have a Very good TV, which also makes a difference.
Therefore, is it the TV Processor or the Signal, or Both ?

I ordered a back lit remote off Amazon.

Not sure about the 2 remotes but they are RF . So one can be in a different room and still control the STB.

Via IR mode I imaging one can use 2 remotes ... actually I have an old NFL remotes from like 2009 and it works on all STB. So I guess 2 remotes can work... (one via IR , old long remote(rc64rb), and the current small remote via RF)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I ordered a back lit remote off Amazon.

Not sure about the 2 remotes but they are RF . So one can be in a different room and still control the STB.

Via IR mode I imaging one can use 2 remotes ... actually I have an old NFL remotes from like 2009 and it works on all STB. So I guess 2 remotes can work... (one via IR , old long remote(rc64rb), and the current small remote via RF)

I have used the older White ones with multiple remotes running 1 recvr, but have never tried the newer remotes (70 series, Genie)

Years ago, when I switched from DISH to DirecTV (haven't had either in years now), I felt like the best-looking HD channels on DTV were better than anything on DISH but the worst-looking HD channels on DTV were worse than any HD channels on DISH. Most channels on DTV looked very sharp and colorful without much noticeable compression flaws. But then some lesser-watched channels would look over-compressed with posterization/banding and pixelation in shadowy areas or fast motion.

On the other hand, there was more uniformity across all HD channels on DISH but they all looked a bit soft, with slightly muted colors, compared to the best-looking HD channels on DTV. In terms of the overall average HD picture quality, I gave the edge to DTV. At any rate, both are way better than Comcast!

Well, it seems this may be too late, but as alluded to earlier, couldn’t you keep Dish, not get DTV, and stream the sports you want?

Well, it seems this may be too late, but as alluded to earlier, couldn’t you keep Dish, not get DTV, and stream the sports you want?
I'm gonna go with no

Since dish and most streaming dont have Ballys Sports RSNs or MASN

But again that vary on location

Years ago, when I switched from DISH to DirecTV (haven't had either in years now), I felt like the best-looking HD channels on DTV were better than anything on DISH but the worst-looking HD channels on DTV were worse than any HD channels on DISH. Most channels on DTV looked very sharp and colorful without much noticeable compression flaws. But then some lesser-watched channels would look over-compressed with posterization/banding and pixelation in shadowy areas or fast motion.

On the other hand, there was more uniformity across all HD channels on DISH but they all looked a bit soft, with slightly muted colors, compared to the best-looking HD channels on DTV. In terms of the overall average HD picture quality, I gave the edge to DTV. At any rate, both are way better than Comcast!

Shhhh don't bring up Dish's soft, washed out looking picture quality, It will drive the Dish faithful insane

Reactions: comp9
Shhhh don't bring up Dish's soft, washed out looking picture quality, It will drive the Dish faithful insane

:mad:

OP , how did it turn out did u get both installed ?

How do u like D* and the mix channels ??

I see you replied on post #28, welcome 2 DirecTV!

You Can do 2 remotes, but I don't have the info as to How to program it.

As for the Picture quality, your asking for a huge debate as everyone has thier own opinion ...

I think it's better on D*, but I also have a Very good TV, which also makes a difference.
Therefore, is it the TV Processor or the Signal, or Both ?
I would love to see which has better picture quality, Dish or Directv. I have Dish and have been very loyal with them, but if the picture quality is better with Direct, then it may move me to go with Directv. I did have Direct a few years ago, but went back with Dish, because Dish offered Locals, and at that time, Direct was not. Now, that both have them, I wouldn't have to worry with the wife. But, it took her forever to go with Dish and the Hopper 3. When it goes out, she mentions how much she despises the Kangeroo and Joeys!!!

I would love to see which has better picture quality, Dish or Directv. I have Dish and have been very loyal with them, but if the picture quality is better with Direct, then it may move me to go with Directv. I did have Direct a few years ago, but went back with Dish, because Dish offered Locals, and at that time, Direct was not. Now, that both have them, I wouldn't have to worry with the wife. But, it took her forever to go with Dish and the Hopper 3. When it goes out, she mentions how much she despises the Kangeroo and Joeys!!!
Theres a lot of variables in that PQ question.

I watched a neighbor rave about thier picture quality on thier Vizio ..... they were streaming mind you, so it should look better.
I came home and pulled up the same show on my TV and it looked 10x better, but I couldn't tell them that.

Directv has a higher bit rate

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)