Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If they really wanted to, why not introduce the "Viacom-Free Package" with all Viacom's content removed and at a lower price. I would imagine a fairly sizable group would opt for that. A-La-Carte isn't going to happen. Of course the content providers write clauses in to their contracts which prohibit the distributors from doing things like that. It's all a giant cash grab and consumers always lose in the end.

Like I said, both sides are greedy as all hell. DirecTV was unhappy with Viacom's content being "free" to watch on the web, ostensibly devaluing DirecTV as the purveyor of said content.

On a side note, Netflix is getting a lot more use now. That $8 looks pretty cheap...at least until they raise rates again, which is inevitable.

Perhaps this will be the nudge a lot of folks need to drop it all and be done with it. I'm very close.

Congrats Scott good to see this site get some mainstream attention and ty CNN for the attention :)

Scott you should get a hold of CNN and convince them to do a live interview with you. (Just don't wear the xmas hat lol)

If they really wanted to, why not introduce the "Viacom-Free Package" with all Viacom's content removed and at a lower price. I would imagine a fairly sizable group would opt for that. A-La-Carte isn't going to happen. Of course the content providers write clauses in to their contracts which prohibit the distributors from doing things like that. It's all a giant cash grab and consumers always lose in the end.

just create a new price package that adds the Viacom stuff to it. Lower the other packages say $3-$4 and then have this one. After all before this year Choice Ultimate was basically Xtra + Encore channels ;)

Scott you should get a hold of CNN and convince them to do a live interview with you. (Just don't wear the xmas hat lol)
Thats not a good idea. The last time I appeared on television the show was canceled imediately after the show ended.

Man I miss those Charlie Chats. :D

Not only do programmers demand that they are not a la carte, and in the widest available packages, they strategically time their programming renewals to prevent a wide spread outage and pressure the current contract negotiations. If lets say Dish, DIRECTV and Comcast were all up at the same time, Viacom would definitely lose the battle. But, now they can make DIRECTV look like the bad guy because "they can work a deal with everyone else, so it must be DIRECTV's fault".

Not only do programmers demand that they are not a la carte, and in the widest available packages, they strategically time their programming renewals to prevent a wide spread outage and pressure the current contract negotiations. If lets say Dish, DIRECTV and Comcast were all up at the same time, Viacom would definitely lose the battle. But, now they can make DIRECTV look like the bad guy because "they can work a deal with everyone else, so it must be DIRECTV's fault".

Yep...

Encore isn't worth the space it occupies,
That may be your opinion but as a fan of classic westerns I love Encore Westerns, and once in a while one of the other channels has a movie I like as well, plus it's commercial free. Yes all channels except for one are in SD but I have SD equipment in my bedroom so that's not an issue.

The only issue with Encore is that there is only one HD channel.
I agree that it probably is an issue with many posters at this forum. But I have friends and family who have flat screen TV's capable of HD who haven't even bothered to upgrade to receive HD and don't even care. My mother for instance has a nice Samsung TV but watches everything in SD. I asked her why doesn't she upgrade and she said she doesn't want to bother because as far as she's concerned the PQ is perfectly fine. There are a lot of people like that.

NotMe546 said:
Yes but nowhere near what Dish gave. :eek:

Directv want this dispute to end quickly thus a smaller credit, while Dish does not expect to re add Amc for a long long time which is whey their credit is much more. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)