DirecTV does not support multi room DVR functionality DISH does

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Did you figure in the added $5.00 per month extra and the added $199.00 that you pay in advance to this.
I figured everything out with the csr before I signed up and I have it all itemized on my account from directv.com. I did have to pay $99 for the second HD-DVR but that will pay for itself in a little over 2 months with the $40 a month savings I will have over DISH for the first year.

One of the points made was D*'s receivers are being enabled to share content with each other and with E* the only option is to have one dvr send half of it's capabilities to a SD tv in the other room.
Having multiple receivers makes the most sense if the price is not prohibitive. In my case I am getting 2 HD DVRs with D* to replace the 1 622 I had with E* and my bill will still be cheaper after all incentives drop off.
Share content..That does not indicate to me that the user will have full indepoendent viewing in other locations. Dish's receivers do precisely that. Plus there are no up front fees. Typically an HD dvr thru D* has a cost of at least $199.
In this current economy, people are looking to hold on their money. Up front fees are a no no.
Granted Dish has upped their DVR fee for their HD models to $12 per month. But when that cost is compared to that of cable, it is in line. BTW, I think that amount is excessive.
In any event D* has a lot of catching up to do. JMO.

I figured everything out with the csr before I signed up and I have it all itemized on my account from directv.com. I did have to pay $99 for the second HD-DVR but that will pay for itself in a little over 2 months with the $40 a month savings I will have over DISH for the first year.

You might want to double check with the installation company to make sure exactly what they've been told to install. I've seen one too many posts about what shows up to be installed isn't what they thought they were going to be getting. DirecTV should be able to provide you the phone number for the company they've contracted with to do the installation.

You might want to double check with the installation company to make sure exactly what they've been told to install. I've seen one too many posts about what shows up to be installed isn't what they thought they were going to be getting. DirecTV should be able to provide you the phone number for the company they've contracted with to do the installation.
Thanks for the advice.
When the guy came the other day he had 2 hr22's. I of course want hr23's but I have since found out you get what the tech has. That said I won't let them install if it is less than the hr22's as I am signing a 2 year commitment and want what is relatively the newest dvr's. And of course he told me the dish was a 5 lnb and would do better on a pole than the roof, so I figure that is all I need.

Share content..That does not indicate to me that the user will have full indepoendent viewing in other locations. Dish's receivers do precisely that. Plus there are no up front fees. Typically an HD dvr thru D* has a cost of at least $199.
In this current economy, people are looking to hold on their money. Up front fees are a no no.
Granted Dish has upped their DVR fee for their HD models to $12 per month. But when that cost is compared to that of cable, it is in line. BTW, I think that amount is excessive.
Are you trying to convince me or yourself?
I don't go on Duke forums and try to convince them how great Carolina is. I have had DISH for 10+ years (still do). They suck. They nickel an dime you to death and never update their DVR software or add HD channels. I've been their and done that and all I get was some lousy stock. There is a forum where everyone loves DISH and call everyone a troll that question charlie and his all mighty wisdom. I am all but gone, just waiting on the bus. I may find out D* is not all roses, though I don't have any notion they are. But I do know they are the HD leader and they are updating their DVR software at a pace that is light years ahead of DISH.
Plus they have SPIKE-HD and SPIKE has TUF and UFC Fight Nights. And DISH could add that and every other HD channel tomorrow but how long will it take them to add the next lot that Directv adds.
E* is a sinking ship and if their sub count keeps plummeting, everyone that is on SAT will be on D*. I am just getting ahead of the traffic. :cool:

Yep $99 sounds light to me. I would definitely be calling back to confirm. I wouod get the CSR to tell me EXACTLY what the work order states.
I cannpt tell you how many times a customer has told me they were expecting two DVR's when one was on the w/o. This even happens after the precall and I've confirmed the info on a w/o.
I just have to assume that all customers have no clue what they are buying.
Just the other day I confirmed a jonb, two tvs one dvr for one tv and a single tuner HD receiver for the other.
Get there and get the job completed and the cust says"I just realized the two other tv's are not going to be in the system". "Is there any way we can do this?"
After a couple of minutes of idle chatter I realize that the sales person didn't do their job.....again.
Anyway he was pretty cool about it. I schmoozed him about DIU and that took care of it.

Share content..That does not indicate to me that the user will have full indepoendent viewing in other locations. Dish's receivers do precisely that. ... Granted Dish has upped their DVR fee for their HD models to $12 per month. But when that cost is compared to that of cable, it is in line. BTW, I think that amount is excessive.

:rolleyes:
According to your info D* doesn't need to do anything. You can have a second HD DVR for just extra $5/month. So you will have 4 tuners for 2 HDTVs and can watch two independent programs in HD for less.
I am glad I switched and ordered a second HD DVR from D*. With E* it was more expensive ($5 for the receiver + extra HD DVR fee). And I had no use for the second tuner. I had two HDTVs and couldn't stand SD progarmming. This feature from Dish is worthless and I am amazed by people bringing it up too often.

With AAA you get a FREE HD DVR (which everyone does), and a FREE 2nd HD Receiver or a 2nd HD DVR for $99 instead of the standard $199.
Also with AAA you get $10 off your bill for 24 months. D* gives you $23 off for the first year. So even if you are happy with E*, in these hard economic times it makes since to switch. :)
And if you don't have AAA you can sign up for that for just $20 for the first year and $52 the second. I would imagine you have to keep it for the full 2 years to keep getting the discount. Just deduct that from the $340 you save by having AAA. :up

According to your info D* doesn't need to do anything. You can have a second HD DVR for just extra $5/month. So you will have 4 tuners for 2 HDTVs and can watch two independent programs in HD for less.
I am glad I switched and ordered a second HD DVR from D*. With E* it was more expensive ($5 for the receiver + extra HD DVR fee). And I had no use for the second tuner. I had two HDTVs and couldn't stand SD progarmming. This feature from Dish is worthless and I am amazed by people bringing it up too often.
You still have to pay up front for the second DVR.

With AAA you get a FREE HD DVR (which everyone does), and a FREE 2nd HD Receiver or a 2nd HD DVR for $99 instead of the standard $199.
Also with AAA you get $10 off your bill for 24 months. D* gives you $23 off for the first year. So even if you are happy with E*, in these hard economic times it makes since to switch. :)
And if you don't have AAA you can sign up for that for just $20 for the first year and $52 the second. I would imagine you have to keep it for the full 2 years to keep getting the discount. Just deduct that from the $340 you save by having AAA. :up
You left the AAA part out. You're getting a special rate on the second DVR.

I don't know if I would call it worthless but it definitely isn't the future with SD tv's soon to be a thing of the past.
My mom lives alone and has DISH with a 622. I put it in dual zone mode when I visit so the kids can watch something different in the other room but it wouldn't make sense for her to have 2 receivers.
So I guess what I am saying is DISH is the choice for old ladies. :D

You are correct. Dish does have dula tuner recivers desinged to "talk" to twotv's. Each tv has independent viewing capability and each receiver is equipped with two remotes. One of which is RF.
Currently, Directv's dual tuner recievers are designed to "talk" to just one tv. They come wiht just one remote and have single outputs for one tv.
They may be working on new receivers that will perorm in the same manner as Dish's. I do not know.

Dude, did you even read the whole thread before commenting on this? Dish does not have a receiver that allows viewing of programming in three rooms. This is what the OP thought he had. So he was not correct and he even said that the post below the one you quoted.

Lets see how much they cry when they have to buy all new equipment for it to work. It's a wait and see.:eek:

Sorry to interrupt all this posturing and sabre rattling, but can I try to summarize here for the layman:

- MRV is coming from DirecTV, but probably not till the 2nd half of the year.
- An HDDVR is required as a server, and a non-DVR box as the client.
- Two DVRs cannot talk to each other.
- An SD box may not be able to view content from an HD DVR? Yes? No?

Does this just about sum it up?

Sorry to interrupt all this posturing and sabre rattling, but can I try to summarize here for the layman:

- MRV is coming from DirecTV, but probably not till the 2nd half of the year.
- An HDDVR is required as a server, and a non-DVR box as the client.
- Two DVRs cannot talk to each other.
- An SD box may not be able to view content from an HD DVR? Yes? No?

Does this just about sum it up?

- I hope it doesn't take until the 2nd half based on what's going on in the CE world now.

- Nothing has been said either way if a HD DVR could/couldn't also be a client.

- See above

- Probably not since the roadmap that D*'s had in a few financial calls has them down to just a HD box in the future (IIRC 2010/2011 was on the slide).

- I hope it doesn't take until the 2nd half based on what's going on in the CE world now.

- Nothing has been said either way if a HD DVR could/couldn't also be a client.

- See above

- Probably not since the roadmap that D*'s had in a few financial calls has them down to just a HD box in the future (IIRC 2010/2011 was on the slide).
Thanks for the response.

- In my experience EVERYTHING takes longer than it should. Fact of life I guess.

- Nothing seems to have been said at all, which is annoying. I wish they would at least announce the service, and give a tentative launch date.

- See above

- I think they drastically over-estimate the adoption rate of HDTV. Sure, a lot of American's may have HD in their house, but I seriously doubt it's more than half. The real issue is the 2nd TV. The one in the bedroom, the kids room or the play room. That almost certainly isn't HD, and probably won't be for a long time. I hope they're not being short-sighted.

- I think they drastically over-estimate the adoption rate of HDTV. Sure, a lot of American's may have HD in their house, but I seriously doubt it's more than half. The real issue is the 2nd TV. The one in the bedroom, the kids room or the play room. That almost certainly isn't HD, and probably won't be for a long time. I hope they're not being short-sighted.

Don't know if that's true or not for DirecTV. IIRC from a recent financial call they mentioned that the adoption of advanced services (DVR or HD) was getting close to 50%, so if even 1/2 of that was only HD that's still 4M to 5M customers.

I've had a HD set in the bedroom for 3 years now and even the guest bedrooms now have HD sets (total of 6 HD sets in the house from 19" to 73"). OK, I'm nowhere close to the average consumer but with prices coming down to the couple hundred dollars I think more and more folks will be going for upgrading those other sets once that have that 1st HD set.

Don't know if that's true or not for DirecTV. IIRC from a recent financial call they mentioned that the adoption of advanced services (DVR or HD) was getting close to 50%, so if even 1/2 of that was only HD that's still 4M to 5M customers.

I've had a HD set in the bedroom for 3 years now and even the guest bedrooms now have HD sets (total of 6 HD sets in the house from 19" to 73"). OK, I'm nowhere close to the average consumer but with prices coming down to the couple hundred dollars I think more and more folks will be going for upgrading those other sets once that have that 1st HD set.
"the latest data from ABI Research is quite disheartening. Reportedly, some 41-percent of American TV owners possess an HDTV, but out of those, just 56-percent subscribe to a HD programming package."

"Nielsen reports: 23% of US households have an HDTV"

"Just two years ago, some 40% of HDTV-owning US households had not bothered to subscribe to any form of high-def programming. Today, In-Stat is reporting that said figure has stooped to 18%. Sure, the drop is fairly dramatic, but that still proves that nearly 1 in 5 HDTV-equipped homes probably aren't even enjoying HDTV content. The top two reasons consumers gave for not buying were that they simply "weren't interested" or that HD channels were "too expensive."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)