Directv Going To Lease Only On 3/1/06

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry I'm late on this but I'll try and answer a few questions.

First I've always been told that the future HD DVR products would be a lease with no upfront cost for the customers so I'm not sure about that letter Scott posted. Also Bright House Networks isn't a small cable company. We used to be Time Warner Cable before they switched everything over to Bright House Networks. For the most part any TWC contracts for new programming will also trickle down to all Bright House Networks customers.

Does this mean if I want to upgrade my R10 to an R15 at that time am I also subject to this lease only agreement?

projectorsrule said:
I have wireless broadband. It is a small 11"x8"x3" antenna that mounts on top of your house. It works like microwave transmissions. The wireless is on Cell towers and works within 4 miles of the towers. Our price is $29 a month for 500kps down/256kps upload. My ISP just signed a contract with Direc to sell direc, just add VOIP.
[/url]
You call this High Speed Internet? I have 15m/2m. If that's all they are giving, good luck competing with FIOS and cable.

mjitkop said:
I don't know about WeaKnees specifically but I was wondering the same thing for customers in general.
It seems to me that if you don't own the hardware anymore, you won't be allowed to modify it (upgrade to a bigger hard drive). What if you do modify it and comes one day they tell you you must give your receiver back for another model? If they see that you modified it, are you gonna get in trouble financially? Probably, I would say. :confused:

Thats why you keep the old hard drive and slap it back in before you even call and report a problem. Or just drop it and tell them its crashed.:)

LonghornXP said:
Sorry I'm late on this but I'll try and answer a few questions.
First I've always been told that the future HD DVR products would be a lease with no upfront cost for the customers so I'm not sure about that letter Scott posted. Also Bright House Networks isn't a small cable company. We used to be Time Warner Cable before they switched everything over to Bright House Networks. For the most part any TWC contracts for new programming will also trickle down to all Bright House Networks customers.

Just speculating on the upfront Lease Fee for the HD DVR, but it might be something like a "Rack Rate" for a hotel room. Officially, the Lease Fee will be $300, but in practice that fee will always or almost always be waived as part of a promotion. This would create a perceived value for the product.

timmac said:
You call this High Speed Internet? I have 15m/2m. If that's all they are giving, good luck competing with FIOS and cable.

TMAC, cut'em some slack it's very new in terms of generation. You have to give it time. I see a lot of promise for this product. You still have to remeber that much of the US still can only get dialup. Not being slaved to old generation phone or cable lines is very exciting for a lot of people especially considering most broadband is is about 3m downstream for the average consumer. FIOS is a possible but it is still a ways away in terms of true mass roll out.

Here's the big thing that I see being "changed" with this program:

Today I can return my DVR (which cost me the same as their "lease" program..... Free) and end my commitment, starting 3/1/06 that options goes away and I will have to pay the prorated cancellation fee!

Last edited:
ocnier said:
TMAC, cut'em some slack it's very new in terms of generation. You have to give it time. I see a lot of promise for this product. You still have to remeber that much of the US still can only get dialup. Not being slaved to old generation phone or cable lines is very exciting for a lot of people especially considering most broadband is is about 3m downstream for the average consumer. FIOS is a possible but it is still a ways away in terms of true mass roll out.
I certainly wouldnt call it broadband, its way too slow. But it should kill off dialup.

I'm sure D* isn't going to shut off the mirror fees for those who own, that would be a large chunk of monthly income. But I'd like someone to verify that's the case....

And what happens if I am able to buy something off of eBay after 3/1....will I still be charged a mirror/lease fee when I activate it then?

Interesting comment in that release:
"...Upon activation of the leased equipment, DIRECTV buys the equipment from you and issues payment...."

Sounds like D* has shifted the cost of inventory onto the shoulders of the retailers. If this is significantly different from the past practice, I'd imagine they'll lose some smaller retailers. But maybe they're good with that.

i have a question. i will be going to D* soon. I have all my eqipment for a DIY except the D10's for my two room set-up Sould i buy one D10 from Robert at VE and lease the other through D*? Probably wont be subscribing till about May when my house gets done. Hope i've provided enough details. Played CSR round and round and all said i'm not eligible for new sub promotions so thats that the reason for the DIY.

hoopsbwc34 said:
Here's the big thing that I see being "changed" with this program:

Today I can return my DVR (which cost me the same as their "lease" program..... Free) and end my commitment, starting 3/1/06 that options goes away and I will have to pay the prorated cancellation fee!

THAT is the scariest part of all!:eek: :eek:

projectorsrule said:
Our price is $29 a month for 500kps down/256kps upload. My ISP just signed a contract with Direc to sell direc, just add VOIP.

Oh, No. It looks like DSL Lite.

Last edited:
Proc said:
It wouldn't bother me if D* goes to a lease system. I don't see any advantage (in my case anyway) of owning the equipment. I bought an H20 last night and now have an H10 and D10 that I "own" sitting back in the boxes they came in collecting dust. I would assume that if you lease, D* would be responsible for fixing and/or replacing any defective receivers.
They may drop the price of the Total Choice Plus for those with locals? And possible drop the HD package price too? Sounds good to me.

why dont you ebay them and use the extra money for new equipt.

I wonder how this will effect the existing receiver prices on ebay. Will they go up or will they go down?

one such contract expires on the 27th of jan. it depends on when they were signed as to when they expire, always 1 year to the date from signing is how it works

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts