DirecTV Grace Period in California?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AmericanZ28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Central California
Is there such a thing? My brother in-law wants to try it out and compare it with his current FiOs service, but doesn't want to risk getting stuck with it for 2 years.

Yes there are in all States, however it varies from State to State and is typically only a few days.

That is a very optomistic answer, it depends on state law in some the contract has to be signed in your home for a grace period to exist. For an accurate answer contact your states Attorney General Office.

AmericanZ28 said:
Is there such a thing? My brother in-law wants to try it out and compare it with his current FiOs service, but doesn't want to risk getting stuck with it for 2 years.

24 hours. Some states there is 15 days if the customer claims mis information ordered from a dealer/retailer California isn't one of them.

I had FIOS in VA (still miss it), but I love Direct also. Tell him the biggest thing he would gain IMO is the option to get NFL Sunday Ticket and he cant go wrong with either service. If he doesn't care about that, then I cant endorse D* over FIOS and vice versa.......AND I will say they both beat any cable company by a long shot.

It's important to know your state's law BEFORE ordering a product or service. Here in New York, it's three days, but that's only if the item or service was ordered from a salesperson who comes to your house, not from a store, phone or internet. Otherwise there is nor protection.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems very unrealistic for your brother-in-law to expect DirecTV to come to your home, install a dish, run wires to his receiver locations, set everything up and then expect them to come and remove it all for free if he doesn't like it. That just seems a bit over the top to me.

What would be more helpful would be to focus on how he could make a more informed decision. What is he looking for? He should be able to put together a spreadsheet like I did that compares each of the services side by side. That way he can make an informed decision. He also has to factor in how many times his current service goes out on him. For me the big tie-breaker was being able to take a receiver along with me when we are in our RV. Now that I have D* I also enjoy the reliability that I never seemed to have with cable. The costs were very similar.

I had FIOS in VA (still miss it), but I love Direct also. Tell him the biggest thing he would gain IMO is the option to get NFL Sunday Ticket and he cant go wrong with either service. If he doesn't care about that, then I cant endorse D* over FIOS and vice versa.......AND I will say they both beat any cable company by a long shot.

I've never had FIOS myself, but have heard great things about it, not available in my area yet. But I would agree with your statement. If FIOS is as good as DirecTV and he doesnt care about the NFL, can't go against either than.

DirecTV is much superior than Cable.

Yes there are in all States, however it varies from State to State and is typically only a few days.
few days? its take a few days to download everything! it would be hard to to to make your mind without everything working right

Thanks for all the replies, guys!! Im currently looking on google to see if there's some kind of grace period that would work to his advantage should he chose not to keep the service. And Bob, I see where you're coming from, but comparing things on paper is one thing, and actually trying them out is another. Im sure most of us would want to test drive a car before buying one. Test drives cost money in the form of time, gas, and miles on the vehicle, however, I dont think it would be fair that we HAVE to buy it even if we didnt like.

Unless you like Sunday Ticket or want service in another location besides your main home (rv or something) there are not many reasons to take D* over Fios.

Complete apples and oranges if for no other reason motor vehicle laws are different than other transactions, as is real estate laws. Test driving a car is not the same as an installer spending hours installing a system in your house. But more importantly the dealer is not obligated to give you a test drive, and in fact some dealers do not on certain high end cars or to certain age groups. And once you sign a contract with a car dealer there is no right to end the contract because you changed your mind.
Direct TV does not use a door to door salesman, so does not come under any of the "cooling off" laws. By the way, simply signing a contact in the home is not the same as a salesman coming to your home to sell you something then signing a contract.

There is no Grace Period, period!

Some states may allow 3 day, but generally once your installed thats it. The only way your going to get out is if the sales person lied to you, and you can prove it or provide a good argument, or if the system doesn't work right and you agreed to several technician visits.

DISH Network and Directv have both had times when they offered 30 day satisfaction guarantees. The issue is that the customers who are on the fence and sign up because of the satisfaction guarantee, didn't plan on keeping it to begin with.

If you don't want a contract, I believe Fios offers installs with no contracts. How about doing your free trial with them, and switching to Directv if it doesn't work out.

AmericanZ28 said:
Thanks for all the replies, guys!! Im currently looking on google to see if there's some kind of grace period that would work to his advantage should he chose not to keep the service. And Bob, I see where you're coming from, but comparing things on paper is one thing, and actually trying them out is another. Im sure most of us would want to test drive a car before buying one. Test drives cost money in the form of time, gas, and miles on the vehicle, however, I dont think it would be fair that we HAVE to buy it even if we didnt like.

He can ask friends, co-workers, or family if they have Directv so he can come by and play with their system to see if he would like it. It can cost thousands to install a new customer and take up-to two years to make a profit so I'm sure you understand why there wouldn't be an extended grace period to change your mind. Not really comparable to test driving a car. Directv does partner with Verizon so your brother can keep his fios internet and phone, and get an additional discount for integrating the bill.

What if (hypothetically) they advertised a bunch of channels availible in HD(on their website) which really were not? And perhaps you did not notice the first couple days

I don't know where this myth started that a consumer has a 3 day grace period on _____________ (fill in the blank with whatever company name you choose) contracts you sign up for, while there are consumer safeguards that vary somewhat from state to state, my understanding is the 3 day right to rescind a contract primarily applies when you have a peddler who comes to your door. I think the main reason was to "protect" the consumer from some of these "fast talking" sales people that knock on your door, hit you with a hard sales pitch and after they leave you have buyers remorse. (And yeah, I've run across some of those in my time, some were great closers too!). The consensus is that if you are searching out a product or service you will have done the due diligence before signing the contract, whereas when you get blindsided by a peddler at your door, you may be at a disadvantage and agree to something you really haven't done the research on.

Claude Greiner and wildbill129 are correct that DirecTV does not offer a "trial" or "grace" period for residential installations in Californa. However, you the consumer can change your mind and cancel at any time up until you sign the DirecTV customer agreement provided to you by the installer. Once you sign the customer agreement, you are liable for performing the agreement. If you fail to perform, you are subject to cancellation fees, and any additional fees for unpaid services and/or equipment that has not been returned in a timely manner once service is cancelled/terminated.

There is no cooling off period.

In essence, you could have a system installed by DirecTV at your residence, and the installer then turns on the service. You have the right to insure that the DirecTV service is working to your satisfaction. If at that time it is not, you are under no obligation to sign the DirecTV customer agreement. At that point, (after the installer makes a few phone calls to advise his/her supervisor), the installer will remove the equipment, including the receiver(s), satellite dish, DECA or any other equipment related to the installation.

The key here is that as long as you have not signed the DirecTV customer agreement, you are not obligated. Other than having the service turned on at the residence for the brief period of time before the installer disconnects the service, this will be the only "window" or "trial" that you will have to use the service.

DirecTV Customer Agreement: Customer Agreement

DirecTV Equipment Lease Addensum: Equipment Lease Addendum

Last edited:
I see some kind of grace period here....State Attorneys General Accept $13 Million DIRECTV Settlement | Heartlander Magazine

As part of the settlement, DIRECTV agreed to provide consumers a complete set of documents forming the contract at or before installation; replace defective equipment without requiring consumers enter an additional contract; disclose all limitations on the availability of local channels and sports programming; allow a grace period for consumers to dispute charges different from the initial purchase price after receiving their first bill; replace defective leased equipment without charge except shipping costs; and clearly notify consumers at least 10 days before charging a cancellation or equipment fee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts