DirecTV Gurantee - CS Lied to Me!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

U235

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I just had DTV installed last week. I signed up via a phone CS rep. I asked her how long my contract was for and she said 1 year. However, I called today to ask a question about the rebates and I was informed my contract is 2 years. I made my decision based on the fact that with the rebate pricing my service would be less expensive than my DIsh Network Programming. I understood that after 1 year it would go up, but that'd I be out of contract so I could renegotiate or go back to Dish, and most likely go to UVerse as it should be available in less than a year.

However, now I'm in a two year contract. I made it VERY clear and asked twice if I was in a 1 year contract as it seemed odd to me since the promotions were for one year. Usually they give you the promos for 1 year and then screw you on the 2nd year (which is what's happening now). I specifically asked because it sounded too good to be true.

Now I have a handful of questions:
1. Can I cancel my contract in any sort of 14 day/30 day gurantee period?
2. Do I stand any chance of getting my contract to 1 year based on what the sales staff told me (with no proof since it was not recorded)?
3. If I decide to cancel after 1 year, what penalty am I going to pay?
4. Any other options.

I'm REALLY upset and was completely lied to. I made it very clear when I asked how long the contract was. I even said, wow that's a good deal so I get the promotions the entire legnth of the contract and she said "Yes". That and NBA LP put me over the fence.

However, my bill is going to be extremely high next year, to the tune of $50 more per month than my comparable Dish service.

Read the papers you signed at installation most of your questions should be answered by the contract you agreed to. "Any other options" read before you sign!

CSR's are mostly interested in making sales. My guess is that you're locked in, even though you were mis-led by your CSR. And while "legally", it's all about the paper you signed ..... I think it's a shame that there doesn't seem to be any legal recourse or remedy for intentionally deceitful CSR's. Signed paper or no signed paper, a prospective customer should be able to trust that the information provided by a DirecTV employee would actually be truthful. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

I had a similar experience before eventually signing on. I had two different CSR's providing me with very incorrect information. Thankfully, with satelliteguys and with dbstalk.com, I was able to determine that the CSR's were giving me bogus information before I signed on. I did eventually do so, but not before I had accurate/truthful information to work from.

Truth is ..... you can find shady sales reps pretty much anywhere. It's not unique to DirecTV. But they certainly do seem to have their share of them.

Jeff

Read the papers you signed at installation most of your questions should be answered by the contract you agreed to. "Any other options" read before you sign!

LOL, I'll go find it. I'm sure I'm screwed and I was venting, but DTV is already in the doghouse for me.

I just had DTV installed last week. I signed up via a phone CS rep. I asked her how long my contract was for and she said 1 year. However, I called today to ask a question about the rebates and I was informed my contract is 2 years. I made my decision based on the fact that with the rebate pricing my service would be less expensive than my DIsh Network Programming. I understood that after 1 year it would go up, but that'd I be out of contract so I could renegotiate or go back to Dish, and most likely go to UVerse as it should be available in less than a year.

However, now I'm in a two year contract. I made it VERY clear and asked twice if I was in a 1 year contract as it seemed odd to me since the promotions were for one year. Usually they give you the promos for 1 year and then screw you on the 2nd year (which is what's happening now). I specifically asked because it sounded too good to be true.

Now I have a handful of questions:
1. Can I cancel my contract in any sort of 14 day/30 day gurantee period?
2. Do I stand any chance of getting my contract to 1 year based on what the sales staff told me (with no proof since it was not recorded)?
3. If I decide to cancel after 1 year, what penalty am I going to pay?
4. Any other options.

I'm REALLY upset and was completely lied to. I made it very clear when I asked how long the contract was. I even said, wow that's a good deal so I get the promotions the entire legnth of the contract and she said "Yes". That and NBA LP put me over the fence.

However, my bill is going to be extremely high next year, to the tune of $50 more per month than my comparable Dish service.

How will it be $50 more next than DISH?

I don't see any way there can be a $50 difference unless you sub to something you didn't get with dish.

How will it be $50 more next than DISH?

I got the $49.99 HD DVR package which will go up to some $29.99 when my contract is up.

With Dish, my entire bill was $62 out the door for Dish Top 200+, HD, DVR, Showtime.

Now it's going to be $100-110 out the door for the same programming after I factor in the $72.99 + showtime. Also, my Dish was month to month.

Not to mention my Dish system allowed me to record three things at once due to having an ATSC tuner. Also the receiver never EVER crashed, and my DTV box has crashed twice in 4 days.

Last edited:
I got the $49.99 HD DVR package which will go up to some $29.99 when my contract is up.

With Dish, my entire bill was $62 out the door for Dish Top 200+, HD, DVR, Showtime.

Now it's going to be $100-110 out the door for the same programming after I factor in the $72.99 + showtime. Also, my Dish was month to month.

Not to mention my Dish system allowed me to record three things at once due to having an ATSC tuner. Also the receiver never EVER crashed, and my DTV box has crashed twice in 4 days.

Directv: Choice Xtra HD DVR = $72.99 + Show $12 = $84.99
DISH: 250 (since 200 is not the comparable package) $57.99 + DVR $5.98 + HD $10 + SHOW $12.99 = $86.96

Directv: Choice Xtra HD DVR = $72.99 + Show $12 = $84.99
DISH: 250 (since 200 is not the comparable package) $57.99 + DVR $5.98 + HD $10 + SHOW $12.99 = $86.96
Let me just update that E* price list for ya.
$59.99 Top 250 DVR atvantage (includes Locals and 1 DVR fee if you have only a 612, 2 dvr fees if you have a 622,722,
$10 HD gold
Showtime $10, and all other premiums are only $10 each with the top 250 pack or
with HD pack top 100 or top 200 pack. Even HBO
Total $79.99

NON DVRS
Would pay
$54.99 top 250
$5 Locals
$10 HD
$12.99 showtime
Total $82.98
This is for 1 room HD with a 211,or 2 rooms 1 HD 1 SD Vip 222.

Last edited:
Let me just update that E* price list for ya.
$59.99 Top 250 DVR atvantage (includes Locals and 1 DVR fee if you have only a 612, 2 dvr fees if you have a 622,722,
$10 HD gold
Showtime $10, and all other premiums are only $10 each with the top 250 pack or
with HD pack top 100 or top 200 pack. Even HBO
Total $79.99

NON DVRS
Would pay
$54.99 top 250
$5 Locals
$10 HD
$12.99 showtime
Total $82.98
This is for 1 room HD with a 211,or 2 rooms 1 HD 1 SD Vip 222.

Thanks,

I wasn't that familiar with the DISH pricing. But it is still far from a $50 difference.

My package now with E* for 4 Rooms 3 HD/DVR ,1 SD/DVR
Top 200 DVR atvantage $49.99
Top 250 Bonus Pack $10 Comes with "Encore channels ,and TMC Xtra,TMC West.
HD gold $10
HBO and Cinemax $20
+ 2 DVR fees
$11.96,
2 lease fees (2-Vip 612) $14
Total $115.95

D* for the same would be
HD DVR pack $72.99
HBO $14( For less HD and SD then E*)
Cinemax $11 (For less channels HD and SD then E* "Sorry had to say it"
$5.99 for DVR
$4.99 x3 for all my rooms $14.97
Total $112.97 ,Thats not adding Encore pack , If I did that it would, be $124.97, But I would also get all the Starz channels.

So if I added Starz to E* it would be $125.95,
Thats only .98 different. I just happen to like what I get for my .98 cents more with E*, But that a far cry from $50.

Well if you were happy with what you had with Dish why did yuo switch. I have had both systems and by far i enjoy Direct alot more than Dish with the few extra bucks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.