DirecTV has control of Spaceway 1 Back:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From my standpoint, DirecTV will be offering Local HD in the top 12 areas to prevent needing off air installs, All locals will be up and running along with 150 HD channels by 2007. You will have access to a HD Tier of the TC programming. All recievers will be replaced to accomodate MPEG4 compression codecs and HD DVR's will not be ready for replacement to upgraded equipment until 2006. The Spaceway One is supposed to be in the 102 slot.

My Dma number is 54 Austin Texas. So The Spaceway satellite deployment time is meaningless. Besides I get Almost all of my locals in HD ota. With the exception of Fox, which will go full power July 15th. There just isn't much quality programming in HD anyway.
Unless the programming providers (A&E History Nat Geo ETC) convert to HD
It doesn't add anything. To pay for all the launches and extra channels they may do a price increase again.

Yeah after they launched the satellite they had to unfold it and then get it to its orbital slot... Watching the takeoff on d they stated this would take a while...

Smthkd said:
Spaceway 1 has almost reached its orbital slot destination! Based on Lynsats website :

Note: You must have Java 2 to see realtime tracking of the sats orbit!

Which number should we be looking at? The page title is 102.8 but the white box with the world map is 103.2 W.

Man.. Lose control of a SAT completely. That would have been really phlocked up. Let's hope they at least roll out the National Feeds in MPEG-4, they can sort out locals later. There's probably enough Ka load on D* 8 to carry what they need as far as national feeds. Convert the networks on Ku to MPEG-4 as well and let her rip. No sense letting LiL hold things up. I'm sure they were hoping to roll out the national feeds plus the top 50 markets by mid next year in a one two punch, but this gives reason to pause. Get both Spaceways up and running and then roll out LiL.

They should also start rolling new equipment once D* 8 checks out (this looks to be about right with the August 1 info). Get the equipment in place and flip the switch say September 5 or 6, a couple days before regular season football starts, otherwise there won't be anyone to watch it. It's also "early fall" when they anticipated D* 8 going live.

LonghornXP said:
Oh those pages of its location have indeed been kept updated for the most part but at least for the next few days it won't be accurate because the satellite is currently in geostationary orbit as we speak.

This is good as it shouldn't drift except in orbit decay which is expected over time. Problem solved. Could be there's nothing actually wrong with the sat as well, could have been a gound glich and the SAT was doing what it was told to do by the ground controlling system. The fact that they regained control (likely after a re-boot) is a good sign that things are working as they should be.

IMO they have been very lucky to get away with this as long as they have and they only got away with it because they have some of the most loyal customers of any company and I wouldn't want to try testing their loyalty at this point in time.

If it weren't for Sunday Ticket and TiVo they'd have lost me a long time ago. A cable company with a HDTiVo DVR, HMO and Sunday Ticket would be the end of DirecTV for a lot of people. In fact I bet if Cable had won out on Sunday Ticket we wouldn't be talking about Spaceway and how fast it would be up and running, we'd be talking about two way Cablecard and how fast HUMAX would be rolling out a compatible HD TiVo box.

Come to think of it. Maybe it would have made sense (and saved D a fortune to have put in a CableCard in the Recievers. The money they are spending on locals is loco. I can get all my locals from cable for about $12 a month. Use the bandwidth for national feeds. Put analog cable tuners in the SD boxes and TiVo Boxes, put QAM/ Cable Card in the HD boxes. Put out an SD and HD MPEG-4 box, convert everything to HD and be done with it. Carry locals only for markets where cable isn't available. Might even have been easier to pursue agreements with the cable co's for a cut of the action. Better yet, by having cable tuners in the boxes, D steals the big money from the cable co's. Might have also been cheaper to go into markets with terrain issues and install signal repeaters for HD and just include an OTA tuner.

Too late now.

Skyboss said:
Come to think of it. Maybe it would have made sense (and saved D a fortune to have put in a CableCard in the Recievers. The money they are spending on locals is loco. I can get all my locals from cable for about $12 a month. Use the bandwidth for national feeds. Put analog cable tuners in the SD boxes and TiVo Boxes, put QAM/ Cable Card in the HD boxes. Put out an SD and HD MPEG-4 box, convert everything to HD and be done with it. Carry locals only for markets where cable isn't available. Might even have been easier to pursue agreements with the cable co's for a cut of the action. Better yet, by having cable tuners in the boxes, D steals the big money from the cable co's. Might have also been cheaper to go into markets with terrain issues and install signal repeaters for HD and just include an OTA tuner.

Too late now.

Unfortunately, the Rubert Murdoch ego does not share. Period. He wants all or nothing. So to him, cable is not an option, sharing revenue with Tivo is not an option, etc. He wants total control, total revenue flow, and only partners that he can place in the background that do not have brand loyalty above his product. So, you can see why some things are the way they are right or wrong. Its his D* now so we will see that version in 2006 with some hints this year if it can get going.

Skyboss said:
There's probably enough Ka load on D* 8 to carry what they need as far as national feeds.

Currently, it appears that no new services will be available from DirecTV-8 and that the KA load will not be used for additional channels. I guess we will see for sure soon, though...

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
Currently, it appears that no new services will be available from DirecTV-8 and that the KA load will not be used for additional channels. I guess we will see for sure soon, though...

~Alan

If that's true, then this press release is false:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=04_19_2005A

"DIRECTV 8, a new satellite that will reinforce the DIRECTV satellite fleet and provide support for the expansion of new digital and high-definition services..."

and

"The DIRECTV 8 satellite will provide selectable medium- and high-power Ku-band broadcast services to DIRECTV customers with a Ka-band payload that will be available to link DIRECTV broadcast facilities as part of the DIRECTV initiative to significantly expand its capacity to launch hundreds of local digital and high-definition services."

billbillw said:
If that's true, then this press release is false:

Notice one word that comes up, "Support". It appears that DirecTV-8's KA load will support the SpaceWay satellites, in a way that I don't personally understand, but that's what seems to be the case.

Notice too, that only the KU load is mentioned in the part about providing service to customers.

~Alan

Ka is set to be used as signal bouncer for Spaceway vs. downlink for direct to home, but there's nothing stopping them from using the Ka load as temporary filler if Spaceway gets delayed too much longer.

It's intended use looks like this:

Uplink ---> DirecTV8 -(bounce)--->Both Spaceways---->Subs

Skyboss said:
Ka is set to be used as signal bouncer for Spaceway vs. downlink for direct to home, but there's nothing stopping them from using the Ka load as temporary filler if Spaceway gets delayed too much longer.

I don't know, but I hope you are right...

~Alan

Longhorn, I took a big "gulp" yesterday when I saw this thread....was afraid to read it.....Tomorrow is July 1..........maybe an anouncement for Independence Day? I'm hanging on though.....someday soon some folks are going to say.........."I should have listened to you....."

Barney

Barney why did I have the same feeling? I also thought we might get some small bone for the holiday weekend. It would be nice at least.

amateurjournalist said:
Maybe Murdoch will realize he can't have it his way, and leave the industry. Otherwise, US consumers will get locked into limited competition and higher rates, indefinitely. Eventually, D*'s take-it-or-leave-it will cut into existing its subscriber base. I don't think new people will come on board satellite if they don't trust the cost/value equation. Consumers relying on D* for its HD offerings simply lose out when all the costs are added up. Surprising from a business perspective that D* doesn't want to make concessions with other providers. It would seem as if D*'s satellite capacity--and thus content capacity--are quite limited. If I were them, I'd be scrambling to get everything up, leasing space if need be. Even so, they are making precarious assumptions down here on Earth. Why would people be so esconced with D* as to ignore HD options available via cable or OTA? And what does the speed of the satellite-borne HD rollout matter if you can pick it up OTA? People aren't such idiots as to limit their buying choices to what D* offers. D* isn't the only choice. Besides, they aren't providing content, they're only delivering it (and they don't have a monopoly like the post office.) While no one else may match them in satellites, they're foolish to assume they can do what they want and compete long-term. There will be other satellite or cable companies coming out, who will be able to catch up quite easily, essentially by providing more content at lower prices. No one can control the airwaves. (Though many companies have tried through limiting competition by government regulation.) It takes Howard Hughes-type vision to deliver HD content to the masses, and that means willingness to risk real money for the sake of greater glory. (That's not there in Rupert--and thus the tentativeness amongst consumers about cost/value--who can sense the fact D* wants to avoid risking too much and is thus giving too little for too much. Americans want a Hughes who they can support, who gives real value and quality, and even if one plan fails, reaching for a dream with reckless abandon made him a true American hero...)
... and this has what to do with this thread?

slacker,

wtf was he talking about??

never mind i figured it out, hes trying to get a job as ergens new PR man....LOL, LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts