Directv has some cool tech!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
So, I had AT&T (Directv) people stop by the home. I let them know I already had their high speed internet and wasn't switching from Dish.

Of course, they need to still press and I quickly tell them I have 2 TB of programming on the external hard drive I'm not going to walk away from.

'Oh, the technician can transfer that over using the cable into HDMI.'

Well gee, sign me up then!!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: D. Manley
Geez, what scamming. Unfortunately many people will fall for it. Once installed they will just say it was misunderstood.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

wasn't really directv, but a third party

do they ever tell the truth?
Could have been third party, but AT&T recently just up'd my area to Gigabit, and they had badges. Where I live, you have to follow certain protocol to go door to door.

I responded that Dish's programming is encrypted and can't 'just be transferred'. Sure, it can be copied. You can copy it 100 times, won't do you any good though. And this is ignoring the whole HDMI cable thing. Yes, the HDMI is capable of passing through lots of stuff, but not computer data.

I wish they had been telling the truth. I've been thinking about leaving Dish, but I have the same situation -- a 2 TV hard drive that I've transferred several hundred movies to. If I leave Dish, then I have to sacrifice all those recordings because they can only be read by a Hopper or one of Dish's more sophisticated non-Hopper DVRs. That is the only thing that keeps my marriage to Dish alive, otherwise, I'd "file for divorce." LOL

I wish they had been telling the truth. I've been thinking about leaving Dish, but I have the same situation -- a 2 TV hard drive that I've transferred several hundred movies to. If I leave Dish, then I have to sacrifice all those recordings because they can only be read by a Hopper or one of Dish's more sophisticated non-Hopper DVRs. That is the only thing that keeps my marriage to Dish alive, otherwise, I'd "file for divorce." LOL

If anyone is looking for additional reasons to own the equipment besides no 2 year obligation this would be one. I have a couple EHD's married to vip 211K and now H3 working on my second 2GB EHD. I'm free to go when I want. You can own equipment as long as you have protection plan its covered should it fail. What I'm not sure of however would you need to return it upon leaving. Probably...

If anyone is looking for additional reasons to own the equipment besides no 2 year obligation this would be one. I have a couple EHD's married to vip 211K and now H3 working on my second 2GB EHD. I'm free to go when I want. You can own equipment as long as you have protection plan its covered should it fail. What I'm not sure of however would you need to return it upon leaving. Probably...
If you own your equipment it's yours to keep if you ever decide to leave but as far as I know one the receivers are deactivated they won't be able to play the content on the EHD's.

Reactions: DishSubLA
If you own your equipment it's yours to keep if you ever decide to leave but as far as I know one the receivers are deactivated they won't be able to play the content on the EHD's.

The 211k works fine disconnected, not sure about H3.

Sorry about my typo up above. Meant to say 2 TB EHD instead of "TV." If I found that I could buy an old Dish receiver that is compatible with the EHD -- even if I were to leave Dish -- I'd do it in a flash.

I wouldn't put much money into the recordings remaining accessible long periods of time after cancellation. And there is no protection plans on cancelled account. Sounds like you have been on pause.

That's the thing. I don't think any Dish DVR will really function if it becomes unauthorized, will it? If this is the case, then all the EHD would be good for is plugging into a desktop and being reformatted for extra file storage because the Dish recorded programs would be forever unaccessible.

That's the thing. I don't think any Dish DVR will really function if it becomes unauthorized, will it? If this is the case, then all the EHD would be good for is plugging into a desktop and being reformatted for extra file storage because the Dish recorded programs would be forever unaccessible.
That's the word. The only way to get the programming off the EHD is to live record playback via a digital DVR hooked to a computer. And that will take as long as the programming you have recorded!

The EHD may not continue to work, but some members of this forum have had success continuing to play back recordings from the internal hard drive after deactivating the receiver, and they can even continue to use the deactivated receiver to record OTA channels and/or free preview channels from the satellite. So, you could always try to transfer all of your shows to the internal hard drive before cancelling your service. This functionality seems to work better if your DVR has a purple G3 Smart Card. I have had mixed results with deactivated DVRs that have a white G4 Smart Card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts