DirecTV has the big 4. What about WB / UPN?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ComcastOgre

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Saint Marys, Ohio
Hey everybody. I am on my 3rd rescheduled installation due to the weather, but I figured I'd ask early. Does anybody know if DirecTV is planning to add the WB HD and UPN HD like they've done with the other networks? And for that matter, PBS HD? I care more about UPN and WB, since those are the ONLY ones I qualify for in the Indianapolis DMA. I am aware that it would definitely have to wait until the next satellite is up, but is it even being planned for when the space is there? About 80% of my network TV viewing is on those 2 channels.

I highly doubt it, considering they don't even have WB or UPN as SD distant nets.

I hate to be so negative, but a search of WB or UPN would show that this topic is raised about once every two weeks. Neither of these are considered networks according to the FCC and therefore don't have the same status as the other four.

What they said. Plus AFAIK, there is no national feed for WB/UPN. Maybe if they picked a feed and made it a 'superstation' you might have a chance of a national WB/UPN channel.

There is a PBSHD national feed that originates in VA. PBS is very big on letting local affiliates carry feeds and thereby collecting the revenues. From a distant nets standpoint, I think PBS should put up the national feed, but hey, it's not my call. :)

Unfortunately, you're just going to have to wait for your market to get added to the spaceway birds for WB/UPN/PBSHD.

chrisb said:
There is a PBSHD national feed that originates in VA. PBS is very big on letting local affiliates carry feeds and thereby collecting the revenues. From a distant nets standpoint, I think PBS should put up the national feed, but hey, it's not my call. :)
I would love to have the PBS HD feed. Can't for the life of me understand why, being in Dallas DMA we don't have this from our local station. Was in Albuquerque over Thanksgiving and they have it in their market and I was blown away by some of the content.

Tonedeaf said:
I would love to have the PBS HD feed. Can't for the life of me understand why, being in Dallas DMA we don't have this from our local station. Was in Albuquerque over Thanksgiving and they have it in their market and I was blown away by some of the content.

I'm in the NYC DMA and I can't get PBS OTA.

Call your local PBS affiliate and find out why there's no PBSHD.

I don't think DirecTV would need the SD distants of WB and UPN to get the HD. WB HD could feasibly happen since DirecTV just recently made a deal where every market without an in-market WB affiliate got a distant WB. It should not have to qualify as a network for DirecTV to show interest in launching the HD feeds.

Since D* is going to start adding local HD stations from the Spaceway birds, as well as they have ZERO interest in adding WB OR UPN superstations, I HIGHLY doubt they would ever add HD WB &/or UPN feeds.

DBSOgre said:
I don't think DirecTV would need the SD distants of WB and UPN to get the HD. WB HD could feasibly happen since DirecTV just recently made a deal where every market without an in-market WB affiliate got a distant WB. It should not have to qualify as a network for DirecTV to show interest in launching the HD feeds.

Wasn't the distant feed based off where you lived?

For HD, D* would have to designate, with UPN/WB's blessing just 1 feed (or 2 if you want E/W) to put up on CONUS to feed the nation. I just don't see this happening.

If I remember correctly, wasn't DirecTV only planning to offer the big 4 in HD when they start launching local HD. I remember reading that in a press release. If they are indeed launching the PBS, UPN and WB along with it, then I guess I have nothing to worry about. I don't think that's the case, but somebody PLEASE prove me wrong. LOL. If it is, I have a couple questions.

1. Many markets have more than 1 PBS. DirecTV, even with these new satellites, couldn't feasibly carry all of the PBS affliates in HD.

2. MANY markets don't even have UPN and WB in HD, let alone full power. How could that problem be solved?

3. There are a few markets that also have more than one major network affiliate. Grand Rapids (ABC w/ WOTV and WZZM) for example. Will both ABC affiliates be carried?

Thanks for the info hdtechno. I thought it would just be kept to the major networks. Does that include independent networks? Now I know why it's gonna take 2 satellites for only 24 markets. LOL.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts