DirecTV HD and Sunday Ticket - What do you get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fiasco

Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
I am currently a dish subscriber. I have a 60" panny LCD and a Dish PVR. For HD I have a My-HD card in my HTPC for HD locals.

I'd like to switch to a HD Tivo and possibly Directv because I'd like Sunday Ticket (Arizona Cardinals fan in St. Louis).

How many games do you get in HD? Is there additional packages above and beyond the sunday ticket price that you have to get to receive games in HD?

All I want is a basic subscription, HBO and Sunday Ticket.

You have to buy the SuperFan package ($99) on top of the Sunday Ticket in order to get the games in HD. Many have successfully negotiated the SuperFan portion for free by talking to customer service reps at D*.

As for the games, you get all of them. Not all were in HD last year though. Fox had more HD games than CBS. I am hoping CBS ramps up and catches Fox and shows 'em all in HD.

If you get one of the remaining HD Tivo's (HR10-250), you will need an antenna to pull in your local HD stations. The upcoming HR20 DVR (non-Tivo) will be MPEG4 and will get your local HD channels through the dish (an AT9/5LNB dish).

Last edited:
So, assuming no incentives or price breaks one would have to buy sunday ticket and then buy the superfan pack ($100) and the HD package ($10 month) at $220 a year just to get as many games as possible in HD?

Anyone else find that absolutely rediculous?

fiasco said:
So, assuming no incentives or price breaks one would have to buy sunday ticket and then buy the superfan pack ($100) and the HD package ($10 month) at $220 a year just to get as many games as possible in HD?

Yes, I do.

fiasco said:

Obviously not enough people do for D* to consider dropping the price. Two seasons ago, the HD games were part of the basic ST package.

This will be my first season as a ST subscriber. Last year (my first as a D* customer), I didn't fork out for ST. This year they offered $20/mo as a payment option, so I decided it was easier to swallow $20 at a shot. I haven't called to try to sweet talk them into free SuperFan yet.

They have a service that no one else can offer, and signed a huge contract with the NFL last year to retain exclusive rights. They've got to pay for that contract, and still make money. So they've kind of got people by the short hairs, and the know it. If enough people cancel based on pricing, then maybe there could be a price drop.

fiasco said:

NO.

Where else can you watch a game from across the US and know it will be on your TV with no blackouts.
Not with your Antenna or cable or DISH.

Therefore they have the contract...Many, many people sign up every year, some threaten to leave, so do, most pay.

If you want your NFL, you'll pay, if it's not an issue for you, you won't.

Jimbo

Guys...I'm wondering how attractive ST will still be once the season begins. From what I've read, it appears that the NFL is going to be doing a lot of different things in order to make sure "marquee" games are available to a wider audience. NFL Network will now air 8 "prime-time" games. NBC will have the Sunday matchup, not announced until the previous Thursday to ensure better matchups and ESPN now with Monday night football. I also read the NFL wants to schedule more Saturday night games as well. If this is all true, it appears to me that the strangle hold ST has had on the overall market is becoming less and less stringent.

IMO its worth paying the money for it. I have got the SuperFan free the past two years, so it makes it a bit easier.

Its so much cheaper than attending in person.

I go to two Lion's games a year.

--$40 for a ticket (x4) for two games = $320.
--$30 to park (x2 games) = $60

Throw in money for food and drink for tailgating and a beer or pop inside the stadium and I pay well over the cost of the Sunday Ticket.

I enjoy Sunday afternoons kicking back with a cold beverage, a pot roast in the oven and football all day. My son and I send the wife out to shop and we kick back, play games and watch football.

Fox does 6 games a week in HD which CBS does 3. From that I have read, there are no plans to increase that this year - however, next year, the first in the new contract, all games must be in HD - The Cards are a fox team, so as long as they are on Fox, there is a pretty good chance they will be in hd..

Is the superfan price bulls&*t - yep.. do they have us by the ba!!s - yep, so you have to decide is the nfl worth it?? - In my mind it is being a Browns fan outside of Cleveland..

jim

fiasco said:
I am currently a dish subscriber. I have a 60" panny LCD and a Dish PVR. For HD I have a My-HD card in my HTPC for HD locals.

I'd like to switch to a HD Tivo and possibly Directv because I'd like Sunday Ticket (Arizona Cardinals fan in St. Louis).

How many games do you get in HD? Is there additional packages above and beyond the sunday ticket price that you have to get to receive games in HD?

All I want is a basic subscription, HBO and Sunday Ticket.

igzo99 said:
Guys...I'm wondering how attractive ST will still be once the season begins. From what I've read, it appears that the NFL is going to be doing a lot of different things in order to make sure "marquee" games are available to a wider audience. NFL Network will now air 8 "prime-time" games. NBC will have the Sunday matchup, not announced until the previous Thursday to ensure better matchups and ESPN now with Monday night football. I also read the NFL wants to schedule more Saturday night games as well. If this is all true, it appears to me that the strangle hold ST has had on the overall market is becoming less and less stringent.

Yes,
The NFL is expanding it's coverage, but doesn't devalue the ST.
Thursday night games have been around for quite awhile now, doesn't matter what network.
Saturday nioght games have always been there, nornally late in the year after the College season is over.
NFL network will show only 8 games , half the season, on Thursday. (see thursday above)

NBC will have the Sunday matchup, not announced until the previous Thursday to ensure better matchups ---------------------
This is only for the last part of the season ......

As mentioned many times before, If you and your family goes to a game or 2 you will easily pay that much.

While nobody likes the rising prices, we still need our NFL, so we continue to pay.
Now if they can make a package so we don't have to fund the stupid SF when you don't want that stuff, maybe the price would actually drop.

Jimbo

I saw in the local newspaper that if you subscribed to Sunday Ticket you would get the Super Fan free. I called in and told them they had already sent me a confirmation for the upcomming season and they had charged me for the Super Fan. I told them I expected to get it for free. After being put on hold they came back and told me I would be getting if for free this season. Maybe they are going to do this for everyone who had it last year.

Undertaker said:
I saw in the local newspaper that if you subscribed to Sunday Ticket you would get the Super Fan free. I called in and told them they had already sent me a confirmation for the upcomming season and they had charged me for the Super Fan. I told them I expected to get it for free. After being put on hold they came back and told me I would be getting if for free this season. Maybe they are going to do this for everyone who had it last year.

I did not see the advetisement, but I would not be suprised if the SF is free NEXT year

Jimbo

ST is awkward for me since my home team is on just about every week, I pay for sunday ticket for my family to come over. My brother is a dallas fan, my sister is a 49ers fan. Just to have friends and family over is worth it to me.

Jimbos said:
I did not see the advetisement, but I would not be suprised if the SF is free NEXT year

Jimbo

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that until the H20 and/or the upcoming HR20 DVR have full interactivity (Red Button, Active button, etc.) giving the full SuperFan experience (and I say "full SuperFan experience" with tongue in cheek), then they will comp it if asked. Of course, with D*, one person's freebie is another's charge on their account, so mileage may vary.

Proc said:
I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that until the H20 and/or the upcoming HR20 DVR have full interactivity (Red Button, Active button, etc.) giving the full SuperFan experience (and I say "full SuperFan experience" with tongue in cheek), then they will comp it if asked. Of course, with D*, one person's freebie is another's charge on their account, so mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by Jimbos

Proc,
Please don't hold me to that , come next year, ya NEVER know what D* will do....
It just seemed to me that they are giving it away on a frequent basis, My tought was that by the time next year comes around, with the normal price increase, it might be incorperated into the price. (HD being a normal part of the package).

That is what I forsee into the future, but my crystal ball has a lot of dust on it lately !

JMO,
Jimbo

DirecAnnapolis said:
Can you order Sunday Ticket on a Sunday by Sunday basis or is it only for the whole year?

Towards the end of the year, you can (at least they did last year) but not at the beginning of the year

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts