DIRECTV - HD channels NOT in widescreen?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah Jimbo, but it doesnt matter what they like about the time it takes to change the channel...the fact is that native NEEDS to be on to have the resolution on the receiver change automatically, otherwise if you change from ESPNHD which is broadcast in 720 to Weather Channel HD which is broadcast in 1080, then you need to manually change the resolution on the receiver (which ive never seen ANYONE do, or else you'll be watching a 1080 program with your receiver set at 720. This will sometimes cause a gray screen. (especially on HD DVRs). I have done nothing but trouble shoot these KA/KUs and equipment since they came out. I actually helped do the first one in the country here in McLean virginia.... and i guarantee you that instead of Normal or Full...hes got his TV set to Wide, Zoom or Panoramic! Thats what his SDs look so bad...

I'm wondering if he is astually on the HD channel on the D* rec. or if he's actually on the SD side of the channels.

Good thought. If on an HD channel and the program is in HD, the guide has an "HD" logo next to the program title.

SD quality is definitely much worse on a bigger TV, but should not be worse than most cable providers. Our favorites list is rarely changed from one containing nothing but HD channels. About the only time we watch SD on our TVs is local sporting events if they aren't in HD. Fortunately, that number is dwindling! :D

Understood. Nonetheless, the non-hd channels from directv SUCK compared to my cable company. It seems like the HD-channels from directv BARELY meet the quality of the standard channels from cable. Is this normal? The quality of the non-hd channels is just way, way, way, too bad.

I recently switched from Charter digital cable to DirecTV and the first thing I noticed was that the SD channels looked worse (on my non-HD, non-flat panel TV) than they did on cable. On my HD TV they look pretty awful, too, but after playing with my TV's MPEG artifact reduction and other settings, it's gotten to where I don't really notice after watching it for a couple minutes. It looks really blurry compared to the HD channels but otherwise it doesn't bother me anymore.

Understood. Nonetheless, the non-hd channels from directv SUCK compared to my cable company. It seems like the HD-channels from directv BARELY meet the quality of the standard channels from cable. Is this normal? The quality of the non-hd channels is just way, way, way, too bad.
Sounds like you have alot of settings to check, and alot of calibrating to do on your TV. If the HD barely looks SD quality on ANY provider, something is very wrong

Maybe he's watching the so called MTVHD or VH1HD or maybe even the CMTHD which infact or NOT HD, that would explain what he's seeing.
BTW..............why is it the Text is cut off the bottom of the screen on TLCHD?

Maybe he's watching the so called MTVHD or VH1HD or maybe even the CMTHD which infact or NOT HD, that would explain what he's seeing.
BTW..............why is it the Text is cut off the bottom of the screen on TLCHD?

Probably overscan, which may be from either the DVR or your display (or both).

I'd like him to answer my question about how his setup is cabled. I am suspicious of someone with three posts, all complaining about pq.

make sure you have the b-band converters between your sat cable and your box.
if the logos n sh*t arent appearing in full, it probably is your tv's fault. Overscan as stated above.

check channels 76, 78, 79...those should fill your screen up with glorious HD content.

DIRECTV High Definition Channels

thats a good reference for how channels are broadcasting.

rkr0923 said:

rkr0923 said:
It only happens on TLCHD..............all other channels are fine.

I am guessing that on TLCHD and DiscoveryHD that "overscan" is not actually overscan, but the network's attempt to convert the previously non-HD program into HD and fill the screen as much as possible without creating the dreaded TNT stretch-o-vision. Some of the graphics on those programs (such as MythBusters, Dirty Jobs, Trading Spaces, etc) that were produced prior to there being an HD version of the channels may still be "on the film" and therefore are rebroadcast below the visible area of the screen due to the HD zoom that they apply. See if on those programs whether or not there are small vertical black bars on either side of the screen whenever there is the perceived overscan. That would nail it down as the issue.

I am guessing that on TLCHD and DiscoveryHD that "overscan" is not actually overscan, but the network's attempt to convert the previously non-HD program into HD and fill the screen as much as possible without creating the dreaded TNT stretch-o-vision. Some of the graphics on those programs (such as MythBusters, Dirty Jobs, Trading Spaces, etc) that were produced prior to there being an HD version of the channels may still be "on the film" and therefore are rebroadcast below the visible area of the screen due to the HD zoom that they apply. See if on those programs whether or not there are small vertical black bars on either side of the screen whenever there is the perceived overscan. That would nail it down as the issue.

I think you are correct!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts