Directv HD DVR Boxes Are REALLY Junk!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjudson

Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I think I can be an authority on this subject. I currently have three Directv HD DVR boxes in my house that are faulty.

The first one that was delivered would not boot up. The installer went back to the shop and brought another one back. This one had a non-working tuner (tuner 2). The installer left without verifying this, but after I discovered this malfunction, the installers came back, verified the problem, and called Directv to send me another box.

The third box arrived overnight. This one was obviously a refurbished unit. I connected it myself. It ran fine for about two hours - then it locked up. Completely. Screen locked, remote locked, front panel locked (even the reset button). The only way to unlock it was to unplug it and plug it back in. That brought it back, but it locked up almost immediately after.

I got on the phone to Directv and really gave it to the tech support rep (two levels up). I told him I wanted a NEW unit - not refurbished (shoot, I had just bought a new unit three days before and I was already getting refurbished equipment! Sheesh!). I also told him I insisted on one that WORKED! He rescheduled the installers to come back out on Monday, and setup the work order for them to bring two new units out with them just to be safe.

We'll see - but this is freakin' ridiculous! Three out of three is not a good quality record.

Rant off...:mad:

Yikes, bad luck? I am 4 for 4 on receivers being pretty damn near perfect. Makes me wonder about your installer, or, where he is getting them, or...dunno, Im just saying......

Ditto here as well. I can also vouch for as many as 15-20 friends & family with the same results as me; none are as described by the OP.

Don't misunderstand me, back a year ago, there were some quirks with the software (pinky lives), but for me they were always minor. My DVRs haven't even as much as sneezed in months with the current software (and I D/L all of the CE's).

In the early days this was an issue for the HR-20, however its the first hardware complaint I have seen on the HR-20 in a long long time.

I am wondering if there is something else wrong with your install that is causing the issues.

I work in IT. Years ago, I remember seeing that the same user had gone through three monitors in six months. The techs kept replacing them and hadn't noticed how frequent it was. I was curious so I took a look at the monitor they had just installed.

I immediately noticed a slight jitter on the screen. After some investigation, we found that the outlet they had used for all three monitors was faulty and was destroying them.

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. I know it is little consolation, but it could be anything from faulty wiring to a less-than-perfect installer pushing off old equipment. I do hope it gets better soon.

I have had D* and an HR20-700 for a month. I have had 1 reboot in that time. The record button stuck on and the unit would not turn on or off. Rebooted and that took care of that. It is the only problem that I have had in one month of use. I am pleased.

I'm on my 4th HR20(went thru 3 quick in the beginning with tuner issues), but this one is serving me well.

Have not had to re-boot yet in 2 mo's.

I think they are crap too. Lost count of the number of times I have had to reboot this one. Fan is loud also.

my hr20-700's have been fine. had to replace an h20....also, an hr20-100 that was replaced by the 700 version and its worked like a charm since june. the original one has been fine since february.

I too was bitten on a bad 2nd tuner on a **very** early HR20-700.

My 2nd HR20-700 and its twin HR20-100 have been flawless, even with the battering my family gives them!

Oh, and BTW, I went through 3 HR10-250's and 2 811's as a Dish sub, so this isn't a D* HD box problem, in my estimation :)

I had a similiar experience when I first started - received two, one was DOA, one acted up pretty bad.

Got the two swithced out, one new and one refurb. Haven't had any major problems since.
Even added a 3rd unit.

Once you get a good one you'll be good to go, but there are some bad ones out there.

The only problem is when I started service they had only been out 1-2 months and were in very short supply, so I had to fight to get my replacements.

V.
You don't count ...
You think EVERYTHING is junk :eek:

Jimbo

I'll back him up, I agree. they are P's OS. D* should be embrassed to push such an unpolished box upon good paying customers. They fixed something that wasn't broken. And broke it more.

"but you have all this new HD!" Yeah, sure, I still can't scan for my OTA, DLB is NEVER coming, as of a month ago when I got rid of the damn thing it STILL missed recordings, it STILL can't filter out the channels I get from the ones I don't.

I just don't get the D* fanboys constantly saying how good the HR20 is. The only thing the Hr20 will do that my TIVO couldn't do BETTER is MPEG 4. VOD, DOD or whatever the hell they call it is a joke. Run ANOTHER wire to my receiver, then WAIT for it to download? That isn't on demand....no thanks.

A couple of you mentioned the wiring. I really don't think that wiring is the problem. I'm using the same power source that my previous HD receiver used (the last version without the DVR). Both cables from the dish are straight shot cables with no bad connections and no amplification. The runs are short.

Right now I'm viewing on the receiver with the single working tuner. At least with that one I can see some programming, even if I can't record a channel while watching another.

I'm a Directv user since the first boxes came out (I actually paid $800 for the first round of receivers back in 1994). I'd hate to leave them - especially to Comcast - but I really want this problem resolved.

Also, an interesting note: The higher-level support tech at Directv admitted to me that the general feeling within Directv is that the boxes were released WAY too soon, and that they should have been more thoroughly tested prior to their release. He said that the general level of engineering competence at trying to marry the two technologies together (DVR and HD) weren't really there to attempt this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spent over $2k to watch steelers from omaha any alternatives?

Extending cable for DIRECT Dedicated Line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)