DirecTV HD Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
RIRWIN1983 said:
The Dish Bashing has allready started here where i live, i've seen 2 billboards within 5 minutes from me advertising local cable company Insight Communications saying: " If you think its ugly now, just wait till it rains" Showing a dish looking alot like the old 1 lnb d* dish on a roof, if i get the time to I'll take a photo for all you to see. ...

In this area they wouldn't dare put that up. During the hurricanes of 2004, the cable was down for weeks, in many areas around here, but those that had D* & E* were back running as soon as they had their generators on line or power restored.

lou_do said:
In this area they wouldn't dare put that up. During the hurricanes of 2004, the cable was down for weeks, in many areas around here, but those that had D* & E* were back running as soon as they had their generators on line or power restored.

Yes indeed, no cable, no phone, no electric -- but with the generator had DTV and a cooler of beer.. True Florida living...:) :)

5-LNB Dish Required for All New H20 Installations

Effective February 6, 2006

Dealers will need to ensure that they install the required 5-LNB (Ka/KU) multi-satellite dish with the H20 receiver in all DMAs, regardless of market or ZIP code.

The new H20 with the 5-LNB multi-satellite dish is equipped to receive the local digital channels, including HD programming transmission once DIRECTV begins broadcast of the local digital channels in each respective market.

You should not advertise availability of local digital/HD programming in connection with the H20 until DIRECTV has begun local digital channel transmission in the specific DMA that you are advertising in.

VettePilot said:
They stated that DirecTV would upgrade him to the new HD-DVR (for free) when it was released. They also told him that DirecTV will have 150 HD channels by the end of this year :rolleyes:

Yup, they will have 150 HD Channels by the end of the year, but not all in one area!!! LOL They don't Lie, they just don't know how to explain the whole truth! LOL

They will be broadcasting 150 HD Local Channels, by the end of the year!!! Now nobody has 150 local channels in their area, do they??? RONTGLMAO.... So between the 50 states, there will be 150 HD Channels being broadcast...

What are the chances of getting the 5-lnb installed on Saturday the 11th?When the D* tech/installer comes to replace my Samsung 160 hd receiver with the H20??I will be receiving the Knoxville ,TN local HD channels when they become availible but was told by the csr that ....the dish would be installed only when local hd is availible...will the installer bring the dish since all installers were notified to install the new dish as of February 6th?Should I call D* and ask them about this?

newsposter said:
Why 'would' anyone want an H20 w/o the new dish anyway?

The ATSC chipset is the latest version from LG and is reported to have a very good track record of pulling in stations that other STB's can't get is one that I can think of.

newsposter said:
Because for the next 3 weeks I can buy it and own it outright and not have to deal with the new "Lease" program.

herdfan said:
Because for the next 3 weeks I can buy it and own it outright and not have to deal with the new "Lease" program.
That's very true, but the only bad thing is that you can't record anything with it.

newsposter said:

I have the H20 with the old Triple LNB dish. Why? Because the H20 is vastly superior for OTA feeds than the old H10. Detroit is in a MPEG4 market, but I get the locals in fine with an antenna. I will probably upgrade to the new dish in the spring in anticipation of some national HD programming coming through the new sats to the AT9 dish.

Ah I'm not a 'live' tv person and never really thought about non tivo applications to be honest.

Hope the good OTA continues with h20-250. I'm 90% satisfied with my Hdtivo and will probably like OTA vs mpeg 4 if i ever get a new dvr. So good tuning is very important indeed.

Since we are on H20 topic, can someone tell me once and for all how PPV is stored on there? In other threads people are saying you dont need a phone line but then I wonder how in the world you get the access card unloaded if there's no call to dump the PPV?

newsposter said:
Since we are on H20 topic, can someone tell me once and for all how PPV is stored on there? In other threads people are saying you dont need a phone line but then I wonder how in the world you get the access card unloaded if there's no call to dump the PPV?

You have waded through all the BS, and discovered what the real truth is!!!

The Access Card holds the PPV information, by way of a program built into the receivers "Firmware". It collects this information, until the automatic Clock starts the dialing process, so that the PPV information can be dumped into the main computers, so that you can be billed for the PPV's that you ordered.

Now, so that there is no mistake about whether or not you should have the phone line hooked up to the receiver, for each of those movies or programs that you could have ordered through the remote, you will be paying approx. $5.00 each, if you don't have the phone line hooked up!!!

So for all of those folks that are paranoid, or concerned that the phone line may be bugging their conversations, QUIT WITH PARANOIA, and start saving money... RONTGLMAO...

My girl works for a D* Master System Operator, they were told to release the dish nation wide this monday as D* is trying to go ahead and phase out the phase 3 dish as the stock dwindles, If you did not get one I suggest you call aand threaten to leave, they will do almost anything to retain "good" customers;)

Doctor Bob said:
You have waded through all the BS, and discovered what the real truth is!!!

The Access Card holds the PPV information, by way of a program built into the receivers "Firmware". It collects this information, until the automatic Clock starts the dialing process, so that the PPV information can be dumped into the main computers, so that you can be billed for the PPV's that you ordered.

Now, so that there is no mistake about whether or not you should have the phone line hooked up to the receiver, for each of those movies or programs that you could have ordered through the remote, you will be paying approx. $5.00 each, if you don't have the phone line hooked up!!!

Can I have my gold star now? :) Well gosh maybe I do know a thing or 2 after having satellite for 3 years. Pretty scary. But I have to give it to them, technically the phone line 'isn't required' as long as you dont mind talking to an operator and paying for the priviledge.

I did hear that if you order PPV on the web, it's free AND authorizes all receivers on the account but I never tried it. If true, that's even a better deal than remote ordering.

newsposter said:
I did hear that if you order PPV on the web, it's free AND authorizes all receivers on the account but I never tried it. If true, that's even a better deal than remote ordering.

Last time I did it via the website, that was indeed the case.

I _think_ (as in, not sure) it (the 'main/master' receiver) just sends the auth to the slave receivers (your mirrored ones) directly over the phone lines copper, so while the copper has to be there, actual full (dialtone) line service may not, although for this purpose only, i.e. obviously you can't dump the PPV orders without full (dialtone) line service. I have not confirmed this though, it is only supposition.

I had DTV installed superbowl morning. the guy was here for nearly 5 hours. he said the dish was close to 40 pounds. He did a good job from what I can tell. I think its the 5lnb dish. it looks like it from the pics. I watched him go through the setup on the tv and he said the sat wasn't on there yet so i think he chose the 3lnb. It came with the H20.

Watched the superbowl in HD but the sound was about a quarter second off, anyone else experince this with the HD receiver?

Did you notice if he ran the H20 long enough to do any software updates? If the 5sat dish was installed shouldn't he still have selected that in the setup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)