Directv HD service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kcd2f

Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I'm trying to have Directv HD service installed at my home with an HD DVR from Directv. I also have an older Directv SD Tivo box, that I confirmed with Directv before ordering service, would be able to be activated. But I can't get an activated card until the service has been activated i.e. installed at my home.

When the Directv installer came to my house recently, he said that I only ordered HD service with an HD DVR receiver. If I wanted to be able to activate my old Tivo box there's a different set-up, one that's not a part of my order so he couldn't install the set-up.

So now I'm in this endless loop where I can't activate my old Tivo box until I have service installed. But it sounds like once the service has been installed, I get the Tivo box activated, that the satellite set-up will not support the old receiver. Please help!!

I think all have to do is call D* and they should turn the Tivo back on. My brother had one and it was no problem. They may say something that it is not supported, but just say you fully understand.

I think all have to do is call D* and they should turn the Tivo back on. My brother had one and it was no problem. They may say something that it is not supported, but just say you fully understand.

That is true I have old SD and HD Tivo's but if you haven't had the sat card updated recently you'll have to get them to send you new card(s) and they may want to charge you for them, I think it is $10 or $15 bucks unless they have increased that too lately. They won't use the older smart cards for security and programming reasons.

That is true I have old SD and HD Tivo's but if you haven't had the sat card updated recently you'll have to get them to send you new card(s) and they may want to charge you for them, I think it is $10 or $15 bucks unless they have increased that too lately. They won't use the older smart cards for security and programming reasons.
New cards are normally $ 20 and they will often Fed Ex them next day for you if you ask.

It sounds like you were setup as a new customer. The work order was probably for just the new equipment with an HDDVR and a SWM setup. As such the installer told you the truth that the old TIVO will not work with it.

You should have just ordered another DVR or an HD recever with MRV. The sad part is all the reps care about is getting you to sign up. I have had them tell customers that we can just hook up old boxes for them as well. Sorry if they don't have it on the work order the installer don't get paid for it. Plus the time needed to allow for that extra equipment to be installed is not counted when the route is made (not that Directv cares about this most of the time). With the new systems and SWM, mixing old equipment is not so easy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)