Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Does anyone remember the talk about a Home Media server that would hold DVR stuff and then broadcast it all over the house to boxes that could show it on TV's? Anyone know where this box went?

Does anyone remember the talk about a Home Media server that would hold DVR stuff and then broadcast it all over the house to boxes that could show it on TV's? Anyone know where this box went?

Yes,
I remember the talk about it, it was a few years back at the CES show I think. I have not heard D* mention it since.

Jimbo

I think it may have been in response to VOOM's announcement at CES a couple years ago, before Voom as a satellite provider went out of business. But I do remember a member "Longhorn" posting about dtv's proposed version at length for awhile. Then, it dropped from the radar. Too bad, 6 tuners I recall, it sounded great.

Yup. I remember it very well. Longhorn did a long of write ups on that stuff.

Yup they didn't bother investing anything more into the project once Voom didn't offer their service anymore. I was really hoping they would offer this product. Also as a little tid bit I'm hearing some strong rumors that within the next six months DirecTV will offer a free HD DVR upgrade to all customers new and existing. Only time will tell though but they feel their HD programming advantage could be hurt badly from the upfront cost of the HD DVR. Again they are soon going after the Joe Six Pack market who will stop at the 199/299 price tag even if the service as a whole is a better value than their cable company.

not tooting cable's horn but directv better get on the ball. Cable companies with scientific atlanta and some with motorola DVRs can do the whole home media setup. It would use the cabling in the house and send the dvr's signal to the other digital boxes in the house. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)