DirecTV - Horrible Company - Compulsive Liars

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Original poster
Nov 24, 2022
Midwest
The local telephone company is getting rid of their TV provider. They are offering DirecTV streaming as authorized reseller or you are free to use another service.

If you sign up for DirecTV through the phone company they discount the price by $20 the first year and $10 the second year, but they are charging $10 per month for unlimited DVR. There is a $10 charge per month for each TV box for the first 12 months.

If you go to DirecTV's web site they have two current offers. They do not charge a $10 unlimited DVR fee per month. Offer 1 is $10 off for the first three months with $10 per TV box for the first 12 months. The second offer is $10 off the first 5 months if you buy the TV boxes outright ($120 new / $49.95 certified).

We were looking at the Ultimate pack with 3 TV boxes and no premium channels. If you purchased this directly from DirecTV it would be $70 or $90 more expensive in the first year than going through the phone company. The second year would have the same cost. By the third year and every year thereafter it would $120 cheaper than going through the phone company because you are not paying for the unlimited DVR service.

I asked the telephone company why they are charging for this and they replied that they can't take advantage of deals you order by phone or through the website. After dong a little more digging I find that the actual process of signing up for DirecTV involves you making a initial registration with the phone company and they calling you back. They then set up a conference call with DirecTV to complete the order by phone. So we are in fact not ordering through the phone company but DirecTV so the phone company is lying. The registration process only lets you choose the package and not how TV boxes you want or other options.

So I attempted to place a order through the DirecTV's web site. I enter all the details and it displays an pink and red error box with an explanation box under the Payment Method that states "Oops, there was a problem. Please try again later". I cleared the browser cache, restarted the browser. I also used a different browser. I also used another credit card. Each card was charged a temporary of $30 multiple times which were then deducted of later in the day. There were also multiple charges of $0.00 from AT&T.

I called them to find out the problem and they offered to complete the deal by phone. You must give them your name, phone number, email, address and social security and indicate what product you want. They then send a confirmation code to your which you need to verify. Then they send a second email with a link to their website to confirm your agreement to their terms. Then they process the order. Their claim that you can order form their website is completely false and has nothing to do with the credit card.

I went through this process four times and each time they told me the credit cards were being declined. I tried four credit cards. I called the credit card company and they said their was no issue on their end and it was on DirecTV's end. In one call I had DirecTV setup a conference call with one of the credit card companies and they were told it was DirecTV's problem. In one of these calls I was told they would retain my information and call back in 30 minutes and they never did. No information was ever retained and I needed to tell them everything again.

Prior to having DirecTV set up a conference call one of these reps wanted me to call the credit card company on a cell phone while I was talking on a land line to DirecTV. Even after I told him this would require me to leave the home and drive a couple blocks away to get good reception he still thought it would be a good idea (so he could get a sales credit).

Then of course the deal in which you could get $10 off the first 5 months by buying the TV boxes outright was no longer valid even though its shown on their page for streaming. Another rep said this was only for satellite, which was another lie.

Then they tried to push me into buying satellite service. So exactly how would the same credit cards now go through if I ordered satellite instead?

I also called AT&T, but they did nothing and just reconnected me with DirecTV.

So what appears to be going on here is that they have granted the local phone company exclusive rights as a reseller in phone company service area and they want to force everyone to pay a higher price through the phone company. That is called price fixing and they have earned themselves a complaint with my state's attorney general.

One thing for sure is that this one dishonest horrible company. No wonder they went from 25 million users in 2017 to 15.4 million by mid 2021.

Avoid at all costs!

Hi I have direct tv streaming you can have 20 fire tv in your house with no charge. I also have 10 hours of dvr no charge newer plan are more it must be your cable co. check direct tv stream on line your self. have a good day

Hi I have direct tv streaming you can have 20 fire tv in your house with no charge. I also have 10 hours of dvr no charge newer plan are more it must be your cable co. check direct tv stream on line your self. have a good day
Apparently you didn't read my post AT ALL!

We do not have Fire TVs.

We have all Vizio TVs which require a streaming box attached to the TV. They cost $120 new or $49.99 for a used one, which you buy outright or by the month.

We are not interested in Fire TVs or any similar streaming device that lacks numbered buttons for the channels. We are not going to wasting our time scrolling through the channels, or using a similar completely ignorant interface, to watch TV.

We are not interested in the tiny 10 hours of DVD recording that comes with each TB box unit. That is completely useless. We are interested in the "unlimited" DVR recording. Recordings are retained 9 months and limited to 30 episodes per show.

DVD service NOT FREE if you purchase DirecTV through the local phone company.

Orders cannot be placed through the DirectTV website at all and they require verification of your information which can only be done on the phone. Every single order attempted online has resulted in a error message!

Orders can't be completed by calling DirecTV because they are giving us the runaround. They want you to purchase through their local authorized dealer - the phone company - instead, for more money. That is called illegal price fixing!

i ordered through the website, no problem, worked fine
i have unlimited dvr and unlimited streams
i opted to use a firestick, as i had them and did not want to pay for a new box

i ordered through the website, no problem, worked fine
i have unlimited dvr and unlimited streams
i opted to use a firestick, as i had them and did not want to pay for a new box
You do not live here, where one phone company controls phone service, internet and are now the exclusive multi county authorized reseller for DirecTV.

Every other person I've talked to also had to order through the phone company! That is called illegal price fixing between the phone company and DirecTV.

Reactions: teachsac
Go online order direct from direct tv streaming your phone co. has nothing to do with it.
Of course it does.

They ask for your internet provider and even if they didn't ask they can determine that by the landline being called from as there is only one high speed internet provider in this area and that is the phone company.

They are blocking any purchases from their website and through their phone service to force you to set up a purchase through the phone company higher rates. The phone gets a commission from all sales as they are a authorized dealer.

Sorry, but four different card don't stop working as once. Each credit company has confirmed there is not issue with any of the cards. DirecTV even heard directly via a conference call with a credit card company the issue was with DirecTV.

Its called a price fixing racket between DirecTV and the phone company.

DirecTV has repeatedly lied.

did not ask me who my isp was
The guys that run this site also did not ask for your IP but they can figure that out rather quickly.

Lets see DirecTV is:

Lying about credit cards as confirmed by the credit card companies.

Lying about an offer being no longer valid when its on their site.

Lying about an offer stating its only for satellite when the offer is listed on their streaming page.

Lying about calling you back in 30 minutes after they consult someone.

Failing to disclose they are going to have another price increase in 2023. Already going to cost over $400 more than the current provider being phased out and for far less content. Now they want $60 more.

This and more lies is how they went from 25 million users to 15.4 million in a few years.

That is one hell of flurry of info. A bit confusing but very clear. Resellers do bait and switch.
In dealing with a reseller I can tell you 100% the truth that a local company here. Empereon. Is a call center with local employees who's job is to make as many calls per shift as possible and as many sales as they can.

Right up front. Giving your SSN to anyone besides the highest trusted entities is a red flag.
Giving your bank acct. info. is pure and simple asking for trouble.
Am I full of it? Not one bit. They run back to back campaigns for the big satellite tv moguls in an infinite loop. Sell sell sell.
That may explain why driving around and looking on the side of homes there are Directv dishes, Dishnet dishes. Hughesnet, Wild Blue.
Giving your personal info. Especially your ssn, bank info to a reseller. I'm not cool with that.
Perhaps a bad bait and switch with SXM is why purchasing a rechargeable Visa made spending a few bucks to add funds made all the sense in the world.

Oh. The company listed above? I personally know that an employee came to work. Went to the restroom. Didn't come back to their desk. The manager went looking for him. He was in a stall with a syringe on the floor taking a chemically induced power nap.
He summoned a worker to haul him into an office to sober up. And was allowed to return to work for his shift. And that was that. Not the first fact of things that go on there.
One of the only places I know of where you can get screwed out of a bonus and quit.
Or be fired for whatever reason. And get your job back in 6 months.
The HR officer happens to be the owner and CEO's (aka: manager) wife.
They started the company as folks who were in the downfall of an Enrongate for the local cable conglomerate who was busted and now fragmented into various smaller entities these days.

I can tell you that the local cable/isp here has done away with cable boxes and DVR's in lieu of Fire and Roku devices. Rent, bring your own. Save a few bucks or get free rental if you do it right. Record your scheduled shows and play them back whenever, forever.
All stored and streamed to you from the headend.

Although maybe at the fringe of the terms and conditions here. You can record your own shows and play them back forever. If you know how. When I saw what my dad was spending for Dishnet with the NFL package 10 years ago. RIP dad. I miss that guy every single day.
I let the sub run out , returned the DVR. And never looked back.
And have been a cord-cutter since. Those discarded DN, DTV dvr's people give me or I run across have given me enough 2tb hard drives to schedule, record, play anytime anywhere I desire, any content my heart desires.

Weigh these options. Do you have Internet at your home? What do you wish to get on tv?
How about streaming services. Free, subscription? There are tons of them.
From previous posts here I've even gotten 2 friends here in this podunk town to get on the Starlink band wagon.
Expensive to startup. A hundred bucks a month. What they were spending minimum with Hughesnet. With 0 data caps and no totally obliterated signal during the worst snow storms.
They too got bilked into getting Hughesnet from telemarketer resellers.
6 months for a squat introductory fee and contract don't mean nothing if they don't send a swab and a bucket of Vaseline for when day 257 happens.

When I see news that "someone" has lost X number of subscribers in the past X months. You're darned right marketing is going to do every single thing they can to keep a valid position in the company. But giving your SSN? Never.
I became wary when the local store wanted to swipe my drivers license to buy a few occasional cigars. Nope. The reply to an email inquiry was that they only used the swipe to verify your age. Really? They take all of the info in the mag stripe and grab my age and discard everything else? Now. I have a firm grip on it and let the clerk see that its me, that I'm old enough to buy. Johnny law on the other hand? Yeah. Scan it, clean your weed. You're authorized to do what you want to with it.

That is one hell of flurry of info. A bit confusing but very clear. Resellers do bait and switch.
In dealing with a reseller I can tell you 100% the truth that a local company here. Empereon. Is a call center with local employees who's job is to make as many calls per shift as possible and as many sales as they can.

Right up front. Giving your SSN to anyone besides the highest trusted entities is a red flag.
Giving your bank acct. info. is pure and simple asking for trouble.
Am I full of it? Not one bit. They run back to back campaigns for the big satellite tv moguls in an infinite loop. Sell sell sell.
That may explain why driving around and looking on the side of homes there are Directv dishes, Dishnet dishes. Hughesnet, Wild Blue.
Giving your personal info. Especially your ssn, bank info to a reseller. I'm not cool with that.
Perhaps a bad bait and switch with SXM is why purchasing a rechargeable Visa made spending a few bucks to add funds made all the sense in the world.

Oh. The company listed above? I personally know that an employee came to work. Went to the restroom. Didn't come back to their desk. The manager went looking for him. He was in a stall with a syringe on the floor taking a chemically induced power nap.
He summoned a worker to haul him into an office to sober up. And was allowed to return to work for his shift. And that was that. Not the first fact of things that go on there.
One of the only places I know of where you can get screwed out of a bonus and quit.
Or be fired for whatever reason. And get your job back in 6 months.
The HR officer happens to be the owner and CEO's (aka: manager) wife.
They started the company as folks who were in the downfall of an Enrongate for the local cable conglomerate who was busted and now fragmented into various smaller entities these days.

I can tell you that the local cable/isp here has done away with cable boxes and DVR's in lieu of Fire and Roku devices. Rent, bring your own. Save a few bucks or get free rental if you do it right. Record your scheduled shows and play them back whenever, forever.
All stored and streamed to you from the headend.

Although maybe at the fringe of the terms and conditions here. You can record your own shows and play them back forever. If you know how. When I saw what my dad was spending for Dishnet with the NFL package 10 years ago. RIP dad. I miss that guy every single day.
I let the sub run out , returned the DVR. And never looked back.
And have been a cord-cutter since. Those discarded DN, DTV dvr's people give me or I run across have given me enough 2tb hard drives to schedule, record, play anytime anywhere I desire, any content my heart desires.

Weigh these options. Do you have Internet at your home? What do you wish to get on tv?
How about streaming services. Free, subscription? There are tons of them.
From previous posts here I've even gotten 2 friends here in this podunk town to get on the Starlink band wagon.
Expensive to startup. A hundred bucks a month. What they were spending minimum with Hughesnet. With 0 data caps and no totally obliterated signal during the worst snow storms.
They too got bilked into getting Hughesnet from telemarketer resellers.
6 months for a squat introductory fee and contract don't mean nothing if they don't send a swab and a bucket of Vaseline for when day 257 happens.

When I see news that "someone" has lost X number of subscribers in the past X months. You're darned right marketing is going to do every single thing they can to keep a valid position in the company. But giving your SSN? Never.
I became wary when the local store wanted to swipe my drivers license to buy a few occasional cigars. Nope. The reply to an email inquiry was that they only used the swipe to verify your age. Really? They take all of the info in the mag stripe and grab my age and discard everything else? Now. I have a firm grip on it and let the clerk see that its me, that I'm old enough to buy. Johnny law on the other hand? Yeah. Scan it, clean your weed. You're authorized to do what you want to with it.
I didn't give them any bank information - they require a credit card, which then can cancelled via a chargeback.

Nothing to do with a 3rd party call center from another website! Its DirecTV's call center from their own website.

Good look trying to make a online or phone purchase not giving you personal information (name, address, email & credit card number).

You cannot record DirectTV and many other streaming services on a regular DVR as the signal is encrypted - unless of course you want to attempt something illegal and in violation of the contract you signed.

I don't need another internet provider. I have no complaints about the phone company's high speed fiber optic internet service. Cheaper than anything else. There are no other options in this area other than much more expensive, slow and useless satellite service.

I signed up for DirecTV Stream on the web site a couple weeks ago. They did not ask for ISP or SS#. All they wanted was a credit card number to complete the order. If you order the C71KW box from them (refurbished) it is $50.00 and they give you $10.00 off for 5 months so basically free. So much easier then having to set up a satellite dish and assorted receivers and switches. Also works fine on ROKU, Amazon or Android/Google TV's. I can input the channel #'s directly from my Sony TV remote with the C71KW or the remote that came with it.

You do not live here, where one phone company controls phone service, internet and are now the exclusive multi county authorized reseller for DirecTV.

Every other person I've talked to also had to order through the phone company! That is called illegal price fixing between the phone company and DirecTV.
Actually, thats called a Contract, not illegal price fixing.

I signed up for DirecTV Stream on the web site a couple weeks ago. They did not ask for ISP or SS#. All they wanted was a credit card number to complete the order. If you order the C71KW box from them (refurbished) it is $50.00 and they give you $10.00 off for 5 months so basically free. So much easier then having to set up a satellite dish and assorted receivers and switches. Also works fine on ROKU, Amazon or Android/Google TV's. I can input the channel #'s directly from my Sony TV remote with the C71KW or the remote that came with it.

There is nothing to setup with a satellite dish - its installed for free by a local contractor working for the dish company.

Not interested in Roku or any other similar device which does not use a remote with channel numbers on it. Not going to be spending my time scrolling through menus and list of channels. Instead I expect to go to a channel by inputting its memorized number.

That can't be true because they send you a confirmation code to your email to prove you have access to your email. Before submitting a order to your credit card they send you another email with a link to a AT&T webpage to agree with their Electronic Communications Consent and Retail Installment Agreement. No orders are processed without agreeing to this.

Not interested in someone else's junk. Considering how many times they already lied I do not put much faith in their claims about a refurbished unit.

Perhaps you should be considering another streaming service.
Perhaps the phone company should consider another town to operate in once their franchise is pulled by the town for illegal price fixing and after residents find out how they've been ripped off.

What does a Google search reveal but multiple fines and complaints by the FTC against DirecTV. They've just earned themselves another complaint.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Status
Please reply by conversation.