DirecTV in an RV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fullerrj

Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Augusta, GA
I am trying to get DirecTV for use in my Recreation Vehicle. I do not have DirecTV in my house because it is surrounded by trees and I am unable to get a signal. Since taking a receiver from home is not an option. I purchased an H21 HD Receiver from Best Buy for $99. I plan to buy an antenna, tripod and other equipment shortly.

Since I am only "leasing" the receiver from DirecTV and there is no immediate expense for the equipment, what advantage is there to paying $99 to Best Buy? Will I be better off returning the receiver to Best Buy for a refund and just ordering everything from DirecTV?

I hope I didn't make this too confusing.

Thanks

I am trying to get DirecTV for use in my Recreation Vehicle. I do not have DirecTV in my house because it is surrounded by trees and I am unable to get a signal. Since taking a receiver from home is not an option. I purchased an H21 HD Receiver from Best Buy for $99. I plan to buy an antenna, tripod and other equipment shortly.

Since I am only "leasing" the receiver from DirecTV and there is no immediate expense for the equipment, what advantage is there to paying $99 to Best Buy? Will I be better off returning the receiver to Best Buy for a refund and just ordering everything from DirecTV?

I hope I didn't make this too confusing.

Thanks
Hi and welcome! You have several considerations. As you are not familiar with D* you may have some trouble aligning the dish necessary for HD (the receiver lease you bought.) It is not as easy as the SD dish (BY FAR) plus it's larger, heavier and has more area to catch wind. However if that is what you want, then go for it! If you plan to have just one receiver and NOT a DVR, D* likely will not charge you for it (as you mentioned.)
Now here is where I cannot answer your question. Since you do NOT plan to have D* at your residence and ONLY OTR, you may be able to qualify for the national networks. I will defer to others to answer that one.

I have D* at my home and only go mobile for tailgating. With the older round dish and D11 (SD) receiver it's a piece of cake to set up. If you want to give us a little more information someone may be able to chime in about the other areas. you may also want to try a search as there are quite a few postings on this subject from time to time.:cool:

Thanks for the quick response. I just got off the phone with D* and have arranged to have the receiver and other equipment installed in my RV on Thursday. I am going to return the HD receiver to Best Buy and get a refund of my $99. I'll give you an update once that is done.

HD in a RV is really not that big of a problem once the equipment has been activated. This mainly has to do with installer verification on the HR-XX units.

I have been setting up RV units with the slimline 3 LNB on the smaller phase 3 dish,It only takes a few more minuets to fine tune the 99 & 103 HD signals,The SD signal from 101 is exactly the same and is the key to finding the HD signals.

Also note not one person has ever complained about their HD setup most just call back wanting it to work on more TVs like the bed room area.:)

HD in a RV is really not that big of a problem once the equipment has been activated. This mainly has to do with installer verification on the HR-XX units.

I have been setting up RV units with the slimline 3 LNB on the smaller phase 3 dish,It only takes a few more minuets to fine tune the 99 & 103 HD signals,The SD signal from 101 is exactly the same and is the key to finding the HD signals.

Also note not one person has ever complained about their HD setup most just call back wanting it to work on more TVs like the bed room area.:)
Matt you have my deepest admiration. If I had a smaller (phase 3) dish I think I'd give it a whirl. I'm just not patient enough to lug the slimline and build a new mount for it for 3 hrs of viewing per weekend (tailgating.):cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)