Status
Please reply by conversation.

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
Currently I have Fios for tv/internet/phone, I won a contest at work were I won a free year of directv service. My question is this since I already have the existing coaxial running to all the rooms, can I use the existing coax or have him run an additional set of lines to each tv? Also Im getting 4tv(1hddvr,1hd, 2sd)bxs, the representive said that I will be able to stream content from my hddvr to my hd box but no the sd boxs, just wanted to know how that compares to my fios multiroom dvr. Also if there is anything I should be looking for as far as specific boxes, etc. This will be the first time having satellite services.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Currently I have Fios for tv/internet/phone, I won a contest at work were I won a free year of directv service. My question is this since I already have the existing coaxial running to all the rooms, can I use the existing coax or have him run an additional set of lines to each tv? Also Im getting 4tv(1hddvr,1hd, 2sd)bxs, the representive said that I will be able to stream content from my hddvr to my hd box but no the sd boxs, just wanted to know how that compares to my fios multiroom dvr. Also if there is anything I should be looking for as far as specific boxes, etc. This will be the first time having satellite services.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

You can use the existing coax if your turning OFF the FIOS, otherwise, no, you'll want to run new lines for one or the other.

This is a rare opportunity!

You gotta share how they compare. The installer will want to run signal through existing lines as possible but will run new cable where you say. Plan to modulate signals so you can contrast feeds.

This is big. This is FIO DirecTV!

Go for it!

Joe

This is a rare opportunity!

You gotta share how they compare. The installer will want to run signal through existing lines as possible but will run new cable where you say. Plan to modulate signals so you can contrast feeds.

This is big. This is FIO DirecTV!

Go for it!

Joe

Joe,
I don't have any ideas what frequencies FIOS runs, I would guess that it over laps somewhere with D*, thus making using the same coax unavailable.

Just a guess, but I would think it's pretty close.

thanks guys, knew I could count on you. I kind of figured I would have to run new lines. I am planning on keeping the fios tv for at least another month untill my contract was up. Still keeping them for phone and internet.

I so now that I had some time to play with it. The wife even agrees that the picture quality on fios is a better picture. some things that I find annoying is that with fios I could hit the down arrow key and it would show me the program description, and from there I can press the up or down arrows and scroll thru whatever is on. with dtv first you must hit the blue button before you can get the program info. also if I enter a channel ex 2 you have to hit the enter button instead of the select button. May just take some getting used to. Also when I tuned to the gameshow network, it was some interactive thing, however could find the regular network. This morning when I was watching the news it started searching for satellite like 5-6 times in about 30-45mins. I tell you if I didnt win the free year I would be sticking with Fios.

I so now that I had some time to play with it. The wife even agrees that the picture quality on fios is a better picture. some things that I find annoying is that with fios I could hit the down arrow key and it would show me the program description, and from there I can press the up or down arrows and scroll thru whatever is on. with dtv first you must hit the blue button before you can get the program info. also if I enter a channel ex 2 you have to hit the enter button instead of the select button. May just take some getting used to. Also when I tuned to the gameshow network, it was some interactive thing, however could find the regular network. This morning when I was watching the news it started searching for satellite like 5-6 times in about 30-45mins. I tell you if I didnt win the free year I would be sticking with Fios.
Are you having bad weather? You may need your dish aligned?

Nope no bad weather when this was happening. It was just installed last Wednesday, not even a week I would hope it wouldnt need to be aligned already he checked the signal before he left and said I had a strong signal. I can check it again when I go home.

Be careful with running new lines. In some states, the codes are now that only "professionals" can run wires through walls. Basically, only licensed electricians. If you are in one of those states, they will drill through your floors. I ran secondardy wires through the same holes in the walls and put on a dual jack. One for cable (phone and internet) and the other for satellite.

quick question guys, I can not get any vod titles. I know there is an ethernet port on the back of the box, however they did not run ethernet cables. With the fios box they have wireless connectivity build in, Im thinking that the dtv boxes do not, should they have run ethernet from my router to my boxes?

its not mandatory that they hook up your DVR's to ethernet but doing so or getting DECA installed is the only way to get the downloadable VOD titles.

its not mandatory that they hook up your DVR's to ethernet but doing so or getting DECA installed is the only way to get the downloadable VOD titles.

what is DECA? also they said that the piece that plugs into the outlet to power the lnb should not be plugged into a surge protector and that its better to plug it directly into the wall. is this true, i was always under the impression electronics should be plugged into a surge protector.

what is DECA? also they said that the piece that plugs into the outlet to power the lnb should not be plugged into a surge protector and that its better to plug it directly into the wall. is this true, i was always under the impression electronics should be plugged into a surge protector.

With Satellite, the coax should not be ran through a surge protector as it often screws with the signal. Also, you're not going to have any significant surge coming from the dish anyways...unless its struck by lighting (very rare). In that event, your entertainment center will be the least of your worries. Phone lines should defo. be ran through a surge if you have it plugged into a receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.