Status
Please reply by conversation.

Toyzruskid1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Dayton, OH
Someone bring me down from the rafters.

Sunday night I called DirecTV and spoke with the sales rep. I explained to them I lived in a condo. I went over the wiring with them (Said I'm not an exterior unit so the wiring would have to go through my attic. I told them I'd like my Time Warner wiring removed.) No problem that was ALL INCLUDED in my free installation.

I then received about 4 calls confirming my Saturday appointment.

Saturday rolled around and we did the site inspection. The installer told me that he would not be able to do the installation, and that it would require a sub-contractor to go into the ceiling. I blew up because I already went over this with the sales guy. He told me not to worry, that he would work something out and that it would be 160 dollars to do the installation. I freaked and said that it was all suppose to be included as it was with Time Warner AND Dish Network. He referred me to DirecTV's 800 number.

I called the 800 number and after explaing my story to 3 different people I finally got a hold of a supervisor. The supervisor talked to the installer and then had me back on the phone. She told me that they could either refund the charge or credit me the charges on my bill. She also said that she couldnt not do this and would have to transfer the call. The call was transferred and I spoke to a very rude woman with a very bad attitude. I finally got her to transfer me to her supervisor, who then proceeded to say I was SOL and that if I didn't want to pay the charges that I would not be able to have DirecTV. I got her name and her ID number as she was the straw that broke the camels back. I then told the installer to leave and that I was sorry and would not be going with DirecTV.

I called DirecTV again to cancel and was apparently sent to the cream of the crop as far as CSRs (possibly the retention department) The woman on the phone immediately offered to credit me 16 dollars a month for 12 months to make up for the installation charges. I explained to her that I didn't have the 160 dollars as I was not prepared to pay for anything... after all it was free installation (or so they said) She transferred me to her supervisor who then proceeded to tell me that they would do the credit, and they would set the installation fee at 80 dollars. I hung up with her and talked to the installers. The installers said they would have someone out Monday morning. I asked them about the charges and the fact that I would only be paying 80 dollars to run a wall fish. The installer company said that the installation fees were negotiable between myself and the installer WTF?

I enlisted DirecTV, I DID NOT enlist a third party installer. I SHOULD NOT have to haggle prices for installation, especially for something that was suppose to be free. I could see if it was something freaky like running lines through my yard and installing a dish out in the middle of no where to get a line of sight. I could see if it was drilling through cement or running a multitude of cables all over yonkers. This was just a mear 10 feet of easily accessbilble attic space for the cords to be dropped from the patio wall to the wall of my living room.

Can someone PLEASE chime in on this? DirecTV installers? DirecTV people, customers.. I feel so scammed. I did agree to have a supervisor come out on Monday to try to do the install, but if i have to hagle with them on the price, I'm going to stick with Time Warner. I never had this issue when I had Dish Network installed. They ripped out all my wiring in my condo and put in brand new wiring and it was ALL INCLUDED FREE. I'd go back to them but their prices are a lot higher than everyone else... but I guess you get what you pay for.

Sorry for being so long winded. I'm at my wits end right now.
I still have no clue what I'm going to be charged on Monday. That's what irritates me the most. There are no set prices, it apparently depends on the installers mood. Should I bake cookies and wear something sexy?

Sunday night I called DirecTV and spoke with the sales rep. I explained to them I lived in a condo. I went over the wiring with them (Said I'm not an exterior unit so the wiring would have to go through my attic. I told them I'd like my Time Warner wiring removed.) No problem that was ALL INCLUDED in my free installation.

Saturday rolled around and we did the site inspection. The installer told me that he would not be able to do the installation, and that it would require a sub-contractor to go into the ceiling. I blew up because I already went over this with the sales guy. He told me not to worry, that he would work something out and that it would be 160 dollars to do the installation. I freaked and said that it was all suppose to be included as it was with Time Warner AND Dish Network. He referred me to DirecTV's 800 number.

I called the 800 number and after explaing my story to 3 different people I finally got a hold of a supervisor. The supervisor talked to the installer and then had me back on the phone. She told me that they could either refund the charge or credit me the charges on my bill. She also said that she couldnt not do this and would have to transfer the call. The call was transferred and I spoke to a very rude woman with a very bad attitude. I finally got her to transfer me to her supervisor, who then proceeded to say I was SOL and that if I didn't want to pay the charges that I would not be able to have DirecTV. I got her name and her ID number as she was the straw that broke the camels back. I then told the installer to leave and that I was sorry and would not be going with DirecTV.

I called DirecTV again to cancel and was apparently sent to the cream of the crop as far as CSRs (possibly the retention department) The woman on the phone immediately offered to credit me 16 dollars a month for 12 months to make up for the installation charges. I explained to her that I didn't have the 160 dollars as I was not prepared to pay for anything... after all it was free installation (or so they said) She transferred me to her supervisor who then proceeded to tell me that they would do the credit, and they would set the installation fee at 80 dollars. I hung up with her and talked to the installers. The installers said they would have someone out Monday morning. I asked them about the charges and the fact that I would only be paying 80 dollars to run a wall fish. The installer company said that the installation fees were negotiable between myself and the installer WTF?

I enlisted DirecTV, I DID NOT enlist a third party installer. I SHOULD NOT have to haggle prices for installation, especially for something that was suppose to be free. I could see if it was something freaky like running lines through my yard and installing a dish out in the middle of no where to get a line of sight. I could see if it was drilling through cement or running a multitude of cables all over yonkers. This was just a mear 10 feet of easily accessbilble attic space for the cords to be dropped from the patio wall to the wall of my living room.

Can someone PLEASE chime in on this? DirecTV installers? DirecTV people, customers.. I feel so scammed. I did agree to have a supervisor come out on Monday to try to do the install, but if i have to hagle with them on the price, I'm going to stick with Time Warner. I never had this issue when I had Dish Network installed. They ripped out all my wiring in my condo and put in brand new wiring and it was ALL INCLUDED FREE. I'd go back to them but their prices are a lot higher than everyone else... but I guess you get what you pay for.

I still have no clue what I'm going to be charged on Monday. That's what irritates me the most. There are no set prices, it apparently depends on the installers mood. Should I bake cookies and wear something sexy?

Sorry about your trouble,
Why do you need to have all new wiring placed, whats wrong with using the wiring already in place ?

D* doesn't do any of thier installs, at least most of the time , they hire subcontractors to do thier work.
That has been that way for many years.

A wall fish is always considered extra , not part of the FREE install.

Had they told me this and were up front with me after I told them what was needed I would not have agreed to the install.

I asked for new wires because I was getting a hum bar from Time Warner and assumed that DirecTV was like Dish Network. Dish installed all new wires when they did their install but Time Warner removed them and put their own in.

I finally found the information on DirecTVs site about charges (they burry it VERY well. This information should be made available the second you place the order and should be sent out with the billions of confirmation emails they send out.)

In the billing structure on their site it states 49 dollars for a wall fish. So why was I told 160??

If the installer comes out can I duct tape 2 lines to my existing line, pull the existing line up the wall (I can do this all from my attic access) From there I could even pull those 2 lines myself to the exterior wall.

That would keep him out of the attic all together.

If not, I would expect that if he has to run those 2 wires it would only be 49 dollars acorrding to direcTVs site correct?

DIRECTV: Support : Installation

http://www.directv.com/images/pdf/DIRECTVCustomRateCard.pdf

Glad to see a response from a buckeye!

!sadroll Free installation includes a "standard" install. Your question to Directv should be "What is included in a standard install?"

Had they told me this and were up front with me after I told them what was needed I would not have agreed to the install.

I asked for new wires because I was getting a hum bar from Time Warner and assumed that DirecTV was like Dish Network. Dish installed all new wires when they did their install but Time Warner removed them and put their own in.

I finally found the information on DirecTVs site about charges (they burry it VERY well. This information should be made available the second you place the order and should be sent out with the billions of confirmation emails they send out.)

In the billing structure on their site it states 49 dollars for a wall fish. So why was I told 160??

If the installer comes out can I duct tape 2 lines to my existing line, pull the existing line up the wall (I can do this all from my attic access) From there I could even pull those 2 lines myself to the exterior wall.

That would keep him out of the attic all together.

If not, I would expect that if he has to run those 2 wires it would only be 49 dollars acorrding to direcTVs site correct?

DIRECTV: Support : Installation

http://www.directv.com/images/pdf/DIRECTVCustomRateCard.pdf

Glad to see a response from a buckeye!

If you ran the wiring like you mentioned then all the installer would need to do is place the connectors, leave plenty of coax at each end.

And yes, you can connect wiring to existing and pull it thru yourself.

I've ran into this myself. My suggestion is to get the installation ticket corrected. As far as the price is concerned, you have a binding agreement that should be honored if you have the date and operator ID of conversation. The Installer will most likely be unaware of price adjustments because he's most likely a contractor. DirecTv will bill you when all is said and done.

When DirecTv sent out my installer, I had to call twice about two errors on the ticket but DirecTv was able to rectify it while the installer was working. Being a former DirecTv customer, I was able to see the tickets and errors and DirecTv was unable to get a corrected ticket to installer prior to install. And as far as pricing, yes, they agreed to free install but my tickets totaled nearly $500 but were adjusted in account prior to billing. Which is more than I can say for the bill I got from TWC; it took weeks to straighten that mess out, so I canceled.

Um... they want cash in hand when the install is done. Had they billed me on my invoice this would have been a different story.

As far as wiring myself, I want the wire from them... I'll do the work, but I want the wire that's included in my install.

Im still scratching my ass over thecomment about running a wire over the roof and bringing it in through the front of my condo.

They also said they could run it down my base boards

but the second they went to the attic it was a charge

ROFLMAO... if I was into the ghetto trailer trash look I'd be all in... but I need to maintain a minimum of class in my house :rant:

If you ran the wiring like you mentioned then all the installer would need to do is place the connectors, leave plenty of coax at each end.

And yes, you can connect wiring to existing and pull it thru yourself.

Excellent idea!

I would call the installation office again and discuss that idea. The less surprises for the installer is best for both of you.

I got the same quote of $160 for new wiring with wall fishing but they agreed to do it through a ceiling drop for free.

There's my other issue... they wont give me the installers contact information. They refuse to let me talk to anyone until the day of the install.

Excellent idea!

I would call the installation office again and discuss that idea. The less surprises for the installer is best for both of you.

I got the same quote of $160 for new wiring with wall fishing but they agreed to do it through a ceiling drop for free.

Sorry, I seem to be one post behind on my comments.

Your experience is not like mine went. If that is all you can get the installer to budge on; I'd give DirecTv another chance to credit the installation costs to offset the costs and time spent. I got more than I thought I could get with my arbitration.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

and here I thought I was going to be able to slip them a 20 to fix the phone jack wiring.... LOL

hopefully I really don't need a phone jack for the HD DVR

maybe with all this BS I can get them to send me a wireless adapter on them

If a customer came into our office to sign up for Directv and then ask for some wire to do their own wall fish, our guys, including myself would be tripping over each other to get to their trucks and roll off some wire. :D

wow, doesn't anybody read the fine print anymore. It clearly states on all of directv's flyers (provided they are from directv and not some mom and pops), Standard Installation is Free, Custom Charges may apply. The reps at directv are suppose to mention that there might be extra charges on anything they sale or upgrade. Not everybody is entitled to a Free install. I seriously doubt the installers will let you do your own wiring using their equipment and supplies while the installer is there or even drop it off to you. The charges are 49 dollars for a wall fish and thats per wall/ floor. If you get two sides of the same wall done, thats considered 2 charges. They should be charging more during the summer days. just my 4 cents.

that's all fine and dandy with small print, but I did this over the phone and asked all the right questions and was very specific with the sales rep. The sales rep said it was all included in free installation. He said what I would be charged for would be an extended pole mount or a special bracket if needed.
I specifically asked about running the wires through the attic were included and he said yes. I did ask if running the wires down the side of a firewall, and that's when he told me about the condo approval letter (which I downloaded)

Again, if the detailed list of charges was more transparent I'd be ok with everything. The detail list of charge was no where on any of the emails I recieved, nor was it on the website list of links I was sent.

I'm still concerned about the 160 fee vs the fee listed on the DirecTV site.

If I need 2 jacks run for the same room (same reciever, just depends on where I want to put my TV)
Will there be a charge? (Even though both of those locations are "exterior walls" and the cable can be sent through the wall)

I'm sorry, but what you were quoted by the original CS agent was incorrect. Many locations sub out the work, and do indeed charge extra for custom work. In your case, yes, wall fishes are extra, and so would an extra location. Depending on what your total receiver count is, an extra location, (because I might want to rearrange the furniture), might require a different multi switch, which also could cost more.

Bottom line is DirecTV is a very good service, and offers some of the best HD programming available, bar none. If you want it, pony up, and pay. Otherwise, stick with your sub par cable.

I hope my last comment isn't taken wrong. I can't blame you for being misinformed, but it is what it is.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

This is why I did a lot of my own research on this and other message boards concerning a DirecTV installation and what they would and would not do for free. I determined that if I wanted wires fished through walls (like my existing cable tv was) I would have to do it myself. So I crawled around in my hot and dirty attic and was thankfully able to do the wall fishing through my house exactly how I wanted it. The only thing an installer would then have to do is bring a wire(s) from the dish to the attic opening where all the walled wires terminated. He was impressed and more than willing to do that after seeing what I had done myself.

Not to berate any CSR's, but having dealt with my fair share, they are sometimes not the most informed or honest folks when dealing with the nitty gritty details of a service installation. Their sole job is to fill the order and make the sale, period. If you can do the fishing yourself, I highly recommend you do. Chances are, no one is going to do the job you want (without pay) but you. After it's all said and done, you'll be glad you put forth that effort and enjoy a much better service than cable.

I'm sorry, but what you were quoted by the original CS agent was incorrect. Many locations sub out the work, and do indeed charge extra for custom work. In your case, yes, wall fishes are extra, and so would an extra location. Depending on what your total receiver count is, an extra location, (because I might want to rearrange the furniture), might require a different multi switch, which also could cost more.

Bottom line is DirecTV is a very good service, and offers some of the best HD programming available, bar none. If you want it, pony up, and pay. Otherwise, stick with your sub par cable.

I hope my last comment isn't taken wrong. I can't blame you for being misinformed, but it is what it is.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

No I dont mind it... if I knew up front about the charges I would have been ok... amazing direct doesnt cover the installation... they make it up with the service fees

This is why I did a lot of my own research on this and other message boards concerning a DirecTV installation and what they would and would not do for free. I determined that if I wanted wires fished through walls (like my existing cable tv was) I would have to do it myself. So I crawled around in my hot and dirty attic and was thankfully able to do the wall fishing through my house exactly how I wanted it. The only thing an installer would then have to do is bring a wire(s) from the dish to the attic opening where all the walled wires terminated. He was impressed and more than willing to do that after seeing what I had done myself.

Not to berate any CSR's, but having dealt with my fair share, they are sometimes not the most informed or honest folks when dealing with the nitty gritty details of a service installation. Their sole job is to fill the order and make the sale, period. If you can do the fishing yourself, I highly recommend you do. Chances are, no one is going to do the job you want (without pay) but you. After it's all said and done, you'll be glad you put forth that effort and enjoy a much better service than cable.

I'm seriously thinking of doing the wiring tomorrow, but I'm 6'8" so not sure how that would work. I know I can get up there and pull the wires up from the jack... but I have no clue how much wire I would need seeings how i don't want spliced lines.

LOL, I just reread your original post. By all means, bake cookies, and wear something sexy. :D

Seriously, if you decide to do this yourself, run lines to the location that your dish would be installed, and leave slack at both ends, especially at the dish end.

Also, remember that a DVR will require 2 lines, unless you have a SWM setup. Did you get that far with your talk with the installer?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)