DirecTV interest in VOOM?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Buying Rainbow Media is not the same as adding VOOM. I personally would like to see VOOM condensed to no more than three HD channels and added on D*, but that also means D* must invest in new VOOM programming. I am afraid D* is after the other mainstream channels, and VOOM content will just be an addition to its HD library offered in its "HDVOD Classic" category:)

Buying Rainbow Media is not the same as adding VOOM. I personally would like to see VOOM condensed to no more than three HD channels and added on D*, but that also means D* must invest in new VOOM programming. I am afraid D* is after the other mainstream channels, and VOOM content will just be an addition to its HD library offered in its "HDVOD Classic" category:)

I agree that the article linked does not indicate any preference for or against VOOM, VOOM is only a piece of a varied content offering that Rainbow has.

Everyone is talking about repeat programming... look at MHD, Discovery and all of these channels that repeat... maybe not as often but still... I would love to have the 15 Voom channels back with Guy TV and or Gunslingers in the mix...

VOOM LLC is a division of Rainbow Media which is controlled by the majority of Cablevision and Echostar Holdings, Inc. D* is interested in Rainbow Media only if it is for sale. Dolan Family and Charlie need to resolve VOOM issue pending any sale of VOOM. Unless D* and E* merge, which will not happen :)

The difference is that MHD, the Discovery's, etc., show some interesting programming and have new shows regularly (especially Discovery). Equator and Rave were pretty much the only channels of interest to me from Voom, but after about a month I never watched any of them any more because I had seen everyting I wanted to see. Unless Voom somehow starts getting new shows that they play during primetime each night I don't see a use for them. Like I said, combine the channels down into about 3 (maybe even 5) channels, put new programming on during prime time each night like on the Discovery Channels, and during the day spread out what you show. They have plenty of material for 3-5 channels, not for 15-21.

The real value of VOOM is their library of material and HD production facilities. There is no doubt some of their popular channels could find a home on cable/satellite if property marketed, and there is little doubt their programming assets and production studios could be put to good use. Ironically, I see Liberty Media taking ownership of Rainbow Media and standing up a handful VOOM's rebranded channels and VOD.

VOOM as we knew it will not be coming back, but I get the feeling something is in the works...and you had better believe D*'s marketing machine will be busy at work:

- The Dolans have been wanting to take Cablevision private (need $$$)
- Charles Dolan (Cablevision) and John Malone (Liberty Media) have been friends for more than 40 years
- Cablevision is at war with EchoStar
- Selling VOOM in a firesale will not affect their court case against E*

Cablevision may spin off business units - USATODAY.com

Direc to force dishes hand?

Everyone is talking about repeat programming... look at MHD, Discovery and all of these channels that repeat... maybe not as often but still... I would love to have the 15 Voom channels back with Guy TV and or Gunslingers in the mix...

Im with you..I would like MostersHD as well.

Just because you have not heard of a channel does not mean its not good.
Dish is partially to blame for burying Voom in the 9000s.

Again, this would be a huge coup if direc swoops in and puts Voom back on the air.

I do agree its a long shot.

Would dish sit idly by and let this happen?:rolleyes:

This could force dish to bring Voom back in some mannor. Fix the contarct breach issue with Voom and resolve things before any additional hearings.

Whats wrong with true 24hr HD content????

Of course, is it also possible that Liberty is more interested in AMC, IFC, WE and Sundance than they are in VOOM? If so, what is to keep them from dissolving voom outright?

The hardline D* supporters will never grasp the fact. There are many channels that repeat repeat repeat. OMG what do you call summertime network programming? An entire season of reruns.:rolleyes:

main.jpg
:hungry:

Ok, yes im biased.

I came to dish soley for Voom.

There are allot of us who would flock over to direc solely
for the Voom service.

I already have direc with dish. I would ''love'' to say bye to dish
if Direc makes this bold move.

To me, it would be a coup if direc made this move. There are tons of people still seething at dish for dropping 15true HD channels. I am one of them.

So, I hope that direc makes the move!!!

To those who dont really know Vooms content, there is some really great content on those channels. Monster, Rave and equator are standouts to me.
:up
So, what would you do after Directv realized Voom was a bunch of crap and dropped it too? Come begging back to Dish? Sounds to me like Directv is looking for a bargain way to add HD. Competition will do that to ya.

People talked down VOOM for a number of reasons:

• Dish had them, DirecTV didn't (some people hate anything that the other has)
  • There were too many channels with too little content
  • DirecTV had limited capacity and were somewhat choosy with new HD channels

None of these are true now.
  • Dish doesn't have them at all and some of their subscribers don't like that
  • The channels have already been consolidated to some degree
  • DirecTV has much more capacity now, in terms of channels and potential to use it as an HD VOD offering

VOOM's pricing is bound to be much more reasonable now that they are not carried on Dish. DirecTV could use it to round out HD VOD offerings. The reasoning behind business decisions must been seen ad specific to a certain set of circumstances. Almost everything about these circumstances has changed.

I just switched from Dish. I rarely if ever watched their channels because I had seen everything within weeks of going to Dish originally. Voom needed to go away for a long time. If it comes back to D* and takes up space of national HDs (HBOs, MAXs, Comedy Central HD, etc.) I'll be pissed.

The hardline D* supporters will never grasp the fact. There are many channels that repeat repeat repeat. OMG what do you call summertime network programming? An entire season of reruns.:rolleyes:
...don't forget the 4-6 hours of SD Informercials I see scheduled during the wee hours of the night on many of these so-called new HD channels. Heck, even Dish Network's nightly HD loop of a fish tank was of more value. ;)

I hope they get the voom channels, I would love to have Voom and NFL I would be set for life.

...don't forget the 4-6 hours of SD Informercials I see scheduled during the wee hours of the night on many of these so-called new HD channels. Heck, even Dish Network's nightly HD loop of a fish tank was of more value. ;)
If its not NFL or RSN's you are not going to find support for it from D* subs that frequent forums. They are typically sports fanatics.

VOOM's pricing is bound to be much more reasonable now that they are not carried on Dish. DirecTV could use it to round out HD VOD offerings. The reasoning behind business decisions must been seen ad specific to a certain set of circumstances. Almost everything about these circumstances has changed.
I agree with much of your post, however I will say that VOOM was never widely distributed because, as we suspected and it was later disclosed, VOOM would have to offer matching terms to E* should they decided to break-up their 15-channel lineup and sell them to cable, telcos, DirecTV...it was easier for VOOM to maintain the status quo vice risk losing their pseudo-exclusive contract with E*.

VOOM will not likely be distributed to anyone since doing so will likely hurt their case against E*. I suspect VOOM will remain only on Cablevision or be shuttled, sold and rebranded if they are ever to be carried by other providers.

Of course, I could be wrong...:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)