Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Satelliteguys, is proud to present our first look on Brand new Directv iPhone application. We were proud to beta test this software with directv and I am proud to say that this was one of the most rock solid applications that is out there for the iPhone. I hope you enjoy this review and I certantly look forward to this application releasing from the iPhone store tomorrow.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Satelliteguys Directv Iphone app FIRST LOOK.pdf
    895 KB · Views: 1,341
Last edited:
Ok let me give you my mini review of the iPhone application.

It is very much like going to DirecTV's mobile scheduler site (DVR Scheduler) but it's graphical. However unlike the mobile website having an application button on your iPhone makes it asier to remember and use then the mobile website.

As someone how has beta tested both the DirecTV iPhone app and the Dish Network iPhone enhanced scheduler site the DirecTV software has some plusses and minuses.

The main advantage that DirecTV's iPhone application has over Dish Networks beta (SlingGuide Login) is that your DVR does not need to be networked to be programmed remotely. The timers are set over the satellte data stream. For the Dish Network online scheduler to work your receiver needs to be connected to the internet.

However that is also the biggest downfall of the new application as well. The fact that the DirecTV scheduler does talk but in only one direction to your receiver make the DirecTV scheduler a "dumb" scheduler.

What I mean by this is that you can set 50 timers on different channels all for the same time, and you will be told that you have successfully set the timer on your DVR. Because the scheduler does not know what timers you have set on your DVR it does not tell you things such as schedule conflicts. And this can be a big problem if your away and someone else in your house has already set timers you might not know about, you might think your timers you set via the iPhone app (or DirecTV website) are going to record, but you won't honestly know if they do until you get home.

But I also know that Rome was not built in a day and this is only the first version of the iPhone application. I would expect in the future you will be able to take advantage of your networked DVR's. This will be a big move forward.

Another thing the Dish remote scheduler site has over DirecTV's and that is the ability to use your iPhone as a remote control to control your receiver. For me this has come in handy a few times when I could find where the kids hid the remote. Again this is something that can be done if DirecTV decides to update thing to support Networked DVR's.

Now I also think that a lot of folks expected to see that you could watch shows (and live TV) on your iPhone with this application. No it does not do that, however with the DirecTV2PC beta it shows that you can indeed watch your DirecTV DVR content on a remote device (so far just a PC connected to your local network) however with a few changes it should be very easy to make this conent available to customers on their iPhone.

As I said before Rome was not built in a day and I give the new DirecTV iPhone application a thumbs up. I find myself using it a lot because its an icon on my phone and while I have equal access to Dish Networks beta website it is not as easy as clicking on an icon on your iPhone.

The DirecTV iPhone application takes the already easy to use remote scheduling of DirecTV.COM and makes it even friendlier on the iPhone.

I feel that this application is just the start of something big.

I can see lots of folks asking for two way communication. Once they add that, this thing will be best thing ever.

I downloaded it this morning and it looks great. I had a hard time finding it on the apps store on my iPod Touch. When I searched for "Directv" nothing came on that first page, I had to scroll through many many pages to find it. But I found it easy on itunes on my mac.

A few things I would like to see: (Same as what Scott suggested)

- The ability to see your playlist & to-do list so you know what recorded and so you know if there is any conflicts.
- I also would like to be able to watch recorded shows from my playlist, like Directv2PC or Sling.
- Remote Control Capabilities would be very nice, for when I loose the remote in the couch or something.

Thanks DIRECTV. This is a great App and it has lots of room for future features also.

So much for hiding the "Jail Broken" icons...
:)

Directv wont officially support jail broken phones, although it wont stop users from downloading the application onto their jail broken phones, or using the application on their jail broken phones. It would better though if there was some R and D put twards jail broken phones so that way if there is any issues, they know what to expect.

Wow. I love it. I just programmed a couple of shows.
Much better than the website for programming.

Good review. Thanks for doing this for everyone. It's just a minor nit pick, but I think these things need go through one more editing layer for spelling and grammer issues. There are quite a few issues in there. Again, this is minor, the content is what matters most.

I was unable to download the app to my son's Ipod touch. When I try to install it, it says that it needs Iphone software 2.2.1. His version is 2.2. Is there a version 2.2.1 available for Ipod touch? I didn't see it in my look on Apple.com.

Good review. Thanks for doing this for everyone. It's just a minor nit pick, but I think these things need go through one more editing layer for spelling and grammer issues. There are quite a few issues in there. Again, this is minor, the content is what matters most.

I was unable to download the app to my son's Ipod touch. When I try to install it, it says that it needs Iphone software 2.2.1. His version is 2.2. Is there a version 2.2.1 available for Ipod touch? I didn't see it in my look on Apple.com.

Yes there is a 2.2.1 for the ipod touch. :)

Hook the ipod up to itunes and when itunes sees the ipod click on the update button and it will load on the new firmware for you. :)

So far so good. This app rocks!
With that said, I hope it can be improved.

I really like the app but it would be 100% better if you could look at what you currently have set to record on your device. Once it can talk to the DVR and do these functions it will be perfect.

Thanks for the help with the Ipod touch software update guys. It did work just like you said.

One thing I did notice though is that although it will let you record a single episode on Dtivos, it would not let me set up a series recording. It said that "Series Recording is not supported with this receiver", or something like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts