DirecTV IRD telephone connection with VoIP

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am planning to drop my POTS and use VOIPO VoIP. Will the IRD dial-back function still work?

I have Voip and the Caller Id works fine, so I'm guessing that it will work for you as well.
IF your gonna hook up your recvrs to the internet, it won't matter.

I have Voip and the Caller Id works fine, so I'm guessing that it will work for you as well.
IF your gonna hook up your recvrs to the internet, it won't matter.

If I connect the IRDs (have only 2 HR24s) to the internet, won't DTV start downloading a bunch of on-demand PPV to the PVRs? Both Charter and U-Verse have caps.

I use Ooma VOIP connected to my router and my caller ID on all my device, including my DVRs and Receivers still works

I use Ooma VOIP connected to my router and my caller ID on all my device, including my DVRs and Receivers still works

I was more concerned with the dial out function the IRD does. I am not keen on connecting my IRDs to the internet as some Posters claim DTV collects data on your viewing habits and sends PPVs to your PVR over the internet though the latter apparently is not true. With the HSI caps that now exist, I am not sure how much data DTV sends/receives over the HSI connections and prefer to use the dial out function. If your IRDs are not connected to the internet, then I guess that's another example of VoIP supporting the dial function.

They wont load anything you don't tell it to.

Not over the internet anyway.. They do "pre-load" the top choice movies that hit PPV each week, so you can watch them instantly, but those are pushed through the satellite data channel, not the internet. Just didn't want you to start seeing PPV with the checkmark showing it is downloaded and freak out. :)

As for them tattling on you about your viewing habits, there is an option in the "Other" tab on your account screen that says "Block Data Collection". That opts you out of the program.

Not over the internet anyway.. They do "pre-load" the top choice movies that hit PPV each week, so you can watch them instantly, but those are pushed through the satellite data channel, not the internet. Just didn't want you to start seeing PPV with the checkmark showing it is downloaded and freak out. :)

As for them tattling on you about your viewing habits, there is an option in the "Other" tab on your account screen that says "Block Data Collection". That opts you out of the program.

I know I opted out of that many years ago, but the option was removed later, it's good to see it's back !

I found it but not where or how you stated. After logging in drill down to "My Account" then "My Profile" then "My Privacy Settings" and check "Opt-out" followed by clicking the Update Button. Glad to know though that the blocking function was available. I guess DTV was collecting viewing habits over the dial-up connection since I was not nor intend to have the IRDs connected to my HSI connection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)