Directv is imploding and is trying to take Dish down with them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had a D technician out last week . In a about 15 minutes a A&T sale person drove up and try to get me to change over to their wireless phone service. I ask the tech were the sale peoples follow them to service call he said yes.
Same here had DirecTV installed at my mom's new house and about 15 minutes later this girl shows up trying to get me to switch to AT&T Wireless and Centurylink. She even went as far as saying that my Verizon service doesn't include HD which it does and that CableOne internet would be crap at her new address Nice try though...

Same here had DirecTV installed at my mom's new house and about 15 minutes later this girl shows up trying to get me to switch to AT&T Wireless and Centurylink. She even went as far as saying that my Verizon service doesn't include HD which it does and that CableOne internet would be crap at her new address Nice try though...
And you'll continue to see them, like I said, anyone without ATT service that gets ATT Internet, will see someone during or after the visit.

I don't mind them as they will often times go ahead and register them for thier internet while I'm outside doing all the work to make it work.
It just saves me a few minutes, not having to do it.

Reactions: Pere845
And you'll continue to see them, like I said, anyone without ATT service that gets ATT Internet, will see someone during or after the visit.

I don't mind them as they will often times go ahead and register them for thier internet while I'm outside doing all the work to make it work.
It just saves me a few minutes, not having to do it.

I agree it ain’t going away, but I think that’s really sh!tty that AT&T uses this opportunity to sell additional products.

If I wanted to be bothered with buying a cell phone I would have gone to the store already.

I definitely don’t want to be bothered during an install

I agree it ain’t going away, but I think that’s really sh!tty that AT&T uses this opportunity to sell additional products.

If I wanted to be bothered with buying a cell phone I would have gone to the store already.

I definitely don’t want to be bothered during an install
Your not being bothered during the install ... the sub is not doing the install ...
Normally, I am outside and off the property doing my stuff when they are there ...sometimes not, but usually.

Also, its better than going door to door ... at least these people know that the sub is getting ATT services already.

Your not being bothered during the install ... the sub is not doing the install ...
Normally, I am outside and off the property doing my stuff when they are there ...sometimes not, but usually.

Also, its better than going door to door ... at least these people know that the sub is getting ATT services already.

Bothering the customer, not the tech.

I get the up-sell opportunity, and apparently it’s working or they would not be doing it.

But if I was a customer the last thing I would want is someone showing up un announced during my install using the hour or 2 I have at home as a selling opportunity as I was a captive audience.

I can only imagine these sales people use the excuse they want to review the services ordered, and BAM pop the “who is your cell phone provider” question

Bothering the customer, not the tech.

I get the up-sell opportunity, and apparently it’s working or they would not be doing it.

But if I was a customer the last thing I would want is someone showing up un announced during my install using the hour or 2 I have at home as a selling opportunity as I was a captive audience.

I can only imagine these sales people use the excuse they want to review the services ordered, and BAM pop the “who is your cell phone provider” question
Actually, the reason they are going to the homes IS to see if they are interested in ATT Cell services .... they don't show up if the sub already has ATT ....
99% of the time, I'm there before them, therefore I can usually tell if the sub is one that DOESN'T want to be bothered by what they have told me already ... if I have a sub that has no interest other than the internet that I'm installing, I tell the sales person when they arrive to skip going in, as they won't be needing anything, and they move on to the next one.

Actually, the reason they are going to the homes IS to see if they are interested in ATT Cell services .... they don't show up if the sub already has ATT ....
99% of the time, I'm there before them, therefore I can usually tell if the sub is one that DOESN'T want to be bothered by what they have told me already ... if I have a sub that has no interest other than the internet that I'm installing, I tell the sales person when they arrive to skip going in, as they won't be needing anything, and they move on to the next one.

EXACTLY, you arrive before the salesman arrives.

Sounds to me that your doing the dirty work and putting your foot in the door before the customer arrives.

A simple BTW, someone is coming here from AT&T is all that is necessary from the tech to warm up a customer to allow the salesperson to come in.

And if the customer has a cell phone, there is no point.

Whats next, are they going to have you discretely checking to see if the customer has cable or Dish Network when your there doing internet only installs so they can litter the customers mailbox 3 times per month like charter spectrum does trying to get people to do a bundle?

Charter/Spectrum is absolutely relentless on calling me 6 days a week, multiple times a day since I dumped them 1.5 years ago. They call from 9 different numbers they rotate through. I have all of them on my blocked callers list, but they appear on the screen, so I know they are still trying to get me back on a tv package.

I've answered now and again and told them to stop, but they won't. As long as I have them for internet-only, I'm sure they'll never quit calling.

Wouldn't work for me, I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. If the installer is working away and the doorbell rings I'd ask him "did you call for some help?" and if he says no I'm not answering the door. My friends don't drop by unannounced in the middle of the day, so why would I answer the door and be forced to shoo someone away?

Same principle for answering the phone, I don't recognize the number it is going to voicemail and I can decide whether to call them back after listening to their message. That way I never deal with telemarketers. Life is too short to allow people selling stuff you don't want to waste your time.

Charter/Spectrum is absolutely relentless on calling me 6 days a week, multiple times a day since I dumped them 1.5 years ago. They call from 9 different numbers they rotate through. I have all of them on my blocked callers list, but they appear on the screen, so I know they are still trying to get me back on a tv package.

I've answered now and again and told them to stop, but they won't. As long as I have them for internet-only, I'm sure they'll never quit calling.

Cable TV is almost certainly governed by a franchise agreement in your city. Call your city's office and ask them who is in charge of that and tell them you have a complaint about harassment. If that doesn't work go to your state BBB. Talk to your local newspaper or TV station and ask if this is something they've heard others complain about. If you make enough noise they'll find a way to take you off their calling list.

Honestly, I would have done this after about two weeks of that.

Wouldn't work for me, I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. If the installer is working away and the doorbell rings I'd ask him "did you call for some help?" and if he says no I'm not answering the door. My friends don't drop by unannounced in the middle of the day, so why would I answer the door and be forced to shoo someone away?

Same principle for answering the phone, I don't recognize the number it is going to voicemail and I can decide whether to call them back after listening to their message. That way I never deal with telemarketers. Life is too short to allow people selling stuff you don't want to waste your time.
Yikes. My doppleganger!!

I disabled voice mail, if they are not in contacts I don't answer (they can text me), and no doorbell for my compound. If you don't call ahead, I'm not available.

And, no Facebook or Twitter stuff either.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

That won't work since I am a internet-only customer of theirs, as I stated. That allows implicit right for them to call me, and try to up-sell. That's in Federal rules, so they'll do nothing about it. I also can't afford to piss them off, as I have NO other options right now for high speed internet at my location.

At least they haven't as of yet tried any other phone numbers when calling, to get through the block.

That won't work since I am a internet-only customer of theirs, as I stated. That allows implicit right for them to call me, and try to up-sell. That's in Federal rules, so they'll do nothing about it. I also can't afford to piss them off, as I have NO other options right now for high speed internet at my location.

At least they haven't as of yet tried any other phone numbers when calling, to get through the block.

They might have the right to call you, but you have the right not to answer. No company will be "pissed off" by you not answering their telemarketing calls. If you are worried about that, I feel sorry for you.

They might have the right to call you, but you have the right not to answer. No company will be "pissed off" by you not answering their telemarketing calls. If you are worried about that, I feel sorry for you.

I don't answer them, after a couple times. If you will re-read, I clearly said all 9 of their numbers are blocked. They only come up on my phones lcd screen when they try to call. It just annoys me they keep trying so often.

However, if I did what you said above, THAT could piss them off:
Cable TV is almost certainly governed by a franchise agreement in your city. Call your city's office and ask them who is in charge of that and tell them you have a complaint about harassment. If that doesn't work go to your state BBB. Talk to your local newspaper or TV station and ask if this is something they've heard others complain about. If you make enough noise they'll find a way to take you off their calling list.

Honestly, I would have done this after about two weeks of that.

We where told the other day by AT&T that you only need 3 meg for streaming HD a 12 meg for 4K.

Then they tried telling us they had Comcast beat because they where offering a dedicated connection and our bandwidth was not shared with the rest of the neighborhood. AT&T does not “slow” down when everyone else is on it.

First of all the cable providers have not had that issue for years. Also I’ll take my 150 meg shared Comcast connection over a dedicated 12 or possibly 50 meg U-verse AT&T connection why day.

Btw, Last time I checked 4K required atleast 25 megs.

As someone who lives in a Spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 neighborhood, I can tell you they have definitely not solved the shared infrastructure problem as the fiber node serving us wasn't upgraded at the same time, so backhaul was lacking. Luckily, AT&T Fiber coming to the neighborhood reduced demand to almost nothing as almost everyone has switched to Fiber. There is so much unburied fiber on the sides of the streets, it is ridiculous. Not sure what AT&T's backhaul is, but no one seems to be complaining, and we no longer get the dreaded resolution step-down while watching streaming in the evenings, although presumably they would also be potentially subject to backhaul issues at some point. In my previous neighborhood, Spectrum actually had to lease backhaul from Frontier to help deal with the demand. Between AT&T, Ting, Google, and Frontier, Spectrum has lost tons of customers in this region.

Vudu only needs 12Mb for their UHD streams. Not sure about other services though.

Reactions: ncted
Well, DirecTV is certainly not trying to keep my parents as customers. They are out of contract, and they wanted to see if they could renew and get a better price for a year or two, so my dad called (as I suggested) and asked whether there were any deals to renew. He was told flat out that DirecTV wasn't going to be doing that kind of thing any more. I'd say I am shocked, but Spectrum has been telling people in his area the same thing for the last year or so too. Pretty much take it or leave it. Now my dad wants to switch to Dish to save money, but I am not sure they will have good line of sight to the eastern arc without putting a dish on their ancient tin roof, which seems like a bad idea.

Well, DirecTV is certainly not trying to keep my parents as customers. They are out of contract, and they wanted to see if they could renew and get a better price for a year or two, so my dad called (as I suggested) and asked whether there were any deals to renew. He was told flat out that DirecTV wasn't going to be doing that kind of thing any more. I'd say I am shocked, but Spectrum has been telling people in his area the same thing for the last year or so too. Pretty much take it or leave it. Now my dad wants to switch to Dish to save money, but I am not sure they will have good line of sight to the eastern arc without putting a dish on their ancient tin roof, which seems like a bad idea.
Have them call again...

Reactions: comp9
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts