Directv is imploding and is trying to take Dish down with them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, DirecTV is certainly not trying to keep my parents as customers. They are out of contract, and they wanted to see if they could renew and get a better price for a year or two, so my dad called (as I suggested) and asked whether there were any deals to renew. He was told flat out that DirecTV wasn't going to be doing that kind of thing any more. I'd say I am shocked, but Spectrum has been telling people in his area the same thing for the last year or so too. Pretty much take it or leave it. Now my dad wants to switch to Dish to save money, but I am not sure they will have good line of sight to the eastern arc without putting a dish on their ancient tin roof, which seems like a bad idea.

Sadly you can’t ask for a lower rate. You need to call in and pretend your going to cancel to get a better rate

Well, DirecTV is certainly not trying to keep my parents as customers. They are out of contract, and they wanted to see if they could renew and get a better price for a year or two, so my dad called (as I suggested) and asked whether there were any deals to renew. He was told flat out that DirecTV wasn't going to be doing that kind of thing any more. I'd say I am shocked, but Spectrum has been telling people in his area the same thing for the last year or so too. Pretty much take it or leave it. Now my dad wants to switch to Dish to save money, but I am not sure they will have good line of sight to the eastern arc without putting a dish on their ancient tin roof, which seems like a bad idea.
If you live nearby, add one of the better satellite locator apps with augmented reality to your phone and you can easily check for line of sight at your parents place. I use the free Winegard app...

Winegard App - TV Signal Finder — winegard.com

Sadly you can’t ask for a lower rate. You need to call in and pretend your going to cancel to get a better rate

Yeah, I told him that. He supposedly did say he would switch to Dish to get a better deal if DirecTV couldn't lower his price, but I wasn't on the call, so I cannot confirm. He is getting up there in age, and his communication skills aren't what they used to be, and they didn't used to be anything special to begin with.

If you live nearby, add one of the better satellite locator apps with augmented reality to your phone and you can easily check for line of sight at your parents place. I use the free Winegard app...

Winegard App - TV Signal Finder — winegard.com

Yeah, I did that originally, which is one of the reasons they have DirecTV to begin with. They'd have to put the dish for Dish right on the front of the house on the roof. One option I didn't consider was putting it on their detached garage at the back of the house, which has a more modern shingle roof.

Reactions: DS0816

I was told that, hung up, called right back got another rep on the phone and she gave me 50 off for a year

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ncted
Perhaps a gable mount would do the trick, and preserve the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: NYDutch
Yeah, I did that originally, which is one of the reasons they have DirecTV to begin with. They'd have to put the dish for Dish right on the front of the house on the roof. One option I didn't consider was putting it on their detached garage at the back of the house, which has a more modern shingle roof.

My aunt did this as well. She took my advice. One day she called and received an unimpressive $10 or $12 off. A few days later she called and received either $50 or $60 off. (I will have to ask her, again, for a reminder.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts