DIRECTV Launches $30 Premier PPV Service Thursday

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry $30.00 no way this is a big seller for them.

You all have to remember that people on here are the extreme. 95% of customers do not have a theater system setup on a big screen. Most customers have a 42" or smaller tv sitting on a stand, with a few on the wall. I would say maybe 5% have large dedicated theater systems. For $30 thats gas money, tickets, pop & popcorn and a night out for the wife and I. It's not just the movie, it's a night out and an experience. $30 in todays economy for just the movie, it's gonna be a tough sale. I can't tell you how many people tell me they don't need phones hooked up they would never pay $5.00 for a PPV.

Plus how many of Direct's customer's % wise actually have an HDDVR hooked up to an HD tv with an HDMI cable. Certainly they are becoming more and more common. I would say 50% of the custostomers I install now have 1 HDTV they bought at wal-mart for less than $500. They have a 29.99 DVD player hooked up to it, and only got Directv HD because cable looks like crap on their new tv.

I have an extensie theater system setup in my man cave. Audio wise you won't find a theater that sounds better. Still only have my 50" but plenty for picture at this point. I am plenty happy waiting for the blu-ray to show up from Netflix. It's still a new movie to me.

Last edited:
Nice little quote I just found

"It's hard to see where the market is for this service. It doesn't give you the incredible access of the Bel-Air Circuit, nor the dollar to play value of a Blu-ray. It would seem that the studios are specifically targeting the home theater enthusiast market with this service. However, there is one last, and very big, problem with that: home theater enthusiasts demand more quality than this service offers. Until a service of better quality comes along, wait the two months and get the Blu-ray."

Article I read discussed that they dont know how successfull this may or may not be. I am not sure either, also looks like a big piece of the 29.00 is going to the studios. I guess this is one way that they grow with there business model?

I agree with the night out theory. It really doesn't matter what we watch on T.V., you are still just sitting on the couch. When we go to the movies, it usually includes going out to dinner before, a little shopping at the mall, and then the movie. It helps ward off a case of cabin fever.
There is no way in hell I would pay $30 to see a movie at home, that will be on netflix, or some other type of service in thirty to sixty days.

Most hotel rooms don't offer an HD experience with home theater sound. It's a completely different experience and expectation. Must also wait to see the content before assuming it is the same service.

Every hotel I stay in offers the HD experience...now they may not have 7.1 surround but the ability to watch current, in theater movies, in HD in your room for $12.00-$15.00 is and has been offered for sometime time.

Every hotel I stay in offers the HD experience...now they may not have 7.1 surround but the ability to watch current, in theater movies, in HD in your room for $12.00-$15.00 is and has been offered for sometime time.

Hotels are running HD now ?

It's been awhile since I've actually stayed in a hotel.

Dont do the theater anymore because of the projector set up. But I do have 16 and 17 year old boys that gather 5 or 6 of their friends together to go watch a flick, they would do this in a heartbeat! $30 sounds ridiculous till you take your family to the theater. So maybe, just maybe for a real big flick and if it were not too long after the theater premier.

$30 for The Dilemma? one of the worst movies of 2011 so far, and all these movies are at the $1 Theatre by now, for this thing really to work they need either cut the price to like $9.99 or find out a way to bring the same day in-Theatre movies and do $30 for them, like me i think would spent $30 for Scream 4 or Fast Five

How recent are these movies as far as theatre view? I mean if they can give the home viewer the choice of a few current movies showin in theatres at same time it would most certainly be well worth the 30 bucks...Other than that I don't believe it i will be somethng alot of subscribers are going to want to spend thier hard earned money for.

I kind of agree with Scott. By the time you pay $16 for two movie tickets, and another $20 in Popcorn and other concessions it will probably work out cheaper to just pay the $30 to watch it on PPV while its still in the theatres.

The key is you got to have a good home theatre system, and a good televion to be able to fully enjoy the movie.

I could see myself purchasing the Hangover II when it comes out

I can see why directors are flipping out over this but should have read the fine print. I think this could be great for those sleeper movies that spread like wild fire after the main theater run. On the other side some major block buster gets pitched on this service all the bootlegers are going to use their blackmagic cards and pump out $2 dvd $7BD bootlegs and the local swapmeet.

If they put up RIO im in. $30 would not let me in the theater with my fam,. but if its coming to BD one month later they can wate

How recent are these movies as far as theatre view? I mean if they can give the home viewer the choice of a few current movies showin in theatres at same time it would most certainly be well worth the 30 bucks...Other than that I don't believe it i will be somethng alot of subscribers are going to want to spend thier hard earned money for.

It's suppose to be 60 days after the theatre release. Keep in mind that if you wait another 30-60 days after that, it would be on netfix, redbox, blu-ray/DVD, and on regular VOD and PPV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts