DirecTV launches Hurricane Matthew related severe weather channel and severe weather mix channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
as Hurricane Matthew slowly gets closer to Florida possibly as a Cat. 4 hurricane, DirecTV launched a Severe Weather Channel and a Severe Weather Mix channel on the DirecTV lineup temporary for extending coverage of the storm for those who ether evacuated already or staying put but still have power at the moment and can still get signal before the storm wipes it out or the news junkies and weather fanatic watching for the latest just to be up to date.

right now the severe weather channel is a rotation of WPBF out of West Palm Beach, FL (and soon as it gets further north, WESH & WKCF out of Orlando, FL, WJCL out of Savannah, GA, WYFF out of Greenville, SC and WBAL out of Baltimore, MD), WeatherNation & The Weather Channel. it's on channel 362-2

the severe weather mix channel is show a interactive screen of a choice between the severe weather channel, WeatherNation, CNN, The Weather Channel (and soon Fox News and CNBC or MSNBC when they do their coverage of the Hurricane), currently on 321-1 as well as it's normal Sports Mix home (as the channel is preempting the Sports Mix until Matthew has left the US) at 205 and 600.

AT&T/DirecTV press release link:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-coverage-of-hurricane-matthew-300340267.html

I hope the use of local channels improves as this thing moves on. Typically in the past they've relied on the locals until one cut away for commercial, etc. Since last night they've been all over the place. One second they're on Weather Nation, the next on the Weather channel, then they'll go to a local in the middle of a report, then cut back to one of the national weather channels, etc. It appears they're only using Hearst owned stations. Not sure if permission is a problem, or if they just took the easy route. It's crazy though that they're using a Greenville, SC station versus one from Myrtle Beach or Charleston here in S.C

as Hurricane Matthew slowly gets closer to Florida possibly as a Cat. 4 hurricane, DirecTV launched a Severe Weather Channel and a Severe Weather Mix channel on the DirecTV lineup temporary for extending coverage of the storm for those who ether evacuated already or staying put but still have power at the moment and can still get signal before the storm wipes it out or the news junkies and weather fanatic watching for the latest just to be up to date.

right now the severe weather channel is a rotation of WPBF out of West Palm Beach, FL (and soon as it gets further north, WESH & WKCF out of Orlando, FL, WJCL out of Savannah, GA, WYFF out of Greenville, SC and WBAL out of Baltimore, MD), WeatherNation & The Weather Channel. it's on channel 362-2

the severe weather mix channel is show a interactive screen of a choice between the severe weather channel, WeatherNation, CNN, The Weather Channel (and soon Fox News and CNBC or MSNBC when they do their coverage of the Hurricane), currently on 321-1 as well as it's normal Sports Mix home (as the channel is preempting the Sports Mix until Matthew has left the US) at 205 and 600.

AT&T/DirecTV press release link:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-coverage-of-hurricane-matthew-300340267.html

The channels are actually 361-1 and 361-2, not 362-2 or 321-1.

Reactions: edisonprime
I hope the use of local channels improves as this thing moves on. Typically in the past they've relied on the locals until one cut away for commercial, etc. Since last night they've been all over the place. One second they're on Weather Nation, the next on the Weather channel, then they'll go to a local in the middle of a report, then cut back to one of the national weather channels, etc. It appears they're only using Hearst owned stations. Not sure if permission is a problem, or if they just took the easy route.
They are also using wptv (owned by
Scripts) and wpec (owned by Sinclair). It seems like they will switch off a station when they go to a commercial and stay on that station until another commercial comes up. Also they'll switch from a channel when they talk about something other than the hurricane like other news on the locals or other weather on TWC.

Yes it has definitely improved from earlier. If anybody at AT&T is listening.. doing a decent mix channel or switch around channel for election night would be awesome

Reactions: edisonprime
Yes it has definitely improved from earlier. If anybody at AT&T is listening.. doing a decent mix channel or switch around channel for election night would be awesome
That would be awesome if I were home on election night. But I'm usually attending a gathering with my political party watching the results with them.

Been watching the SWC & it's good & all, but don't understand why they didn't put up a station out of Jacksonville, FL...considering it's next up the line from Orlando & before Savanna...

It really is interesting seeing the difference between The Weather Channel and the local reporting. At The Weather Channel they are focused on the pure power of the storm, as if they want it to be destructive, without saying so, to drive ratings. The safety and wellbeing of people is secondary. Watching the various local news feeds, I feel like the anchors and on location reporters are genuinely concerned about the people in their viewing area. I never really watched The Weather Channel, but I got the same vibe two years ago when we got pounded with 70”+ of snow in four days and I tuned in to see what they were saying. Nevermind that people died, just keep up that upbeat enthusiastic attitude and hope for the worst to drive the ratings for the handful of times a year people actually watch that channel.

For all those in the affected areas, best of luck and stay safe!

It really is interesting seeing the difference between The Weather Channel and the local reporting. At The Weather Channel they are focused on the pure power of the storm, as if they want it to be destructive, without saying so, to drive ratings. The safety and wellbeing of people is secondary. Watching the various local news feeds, I feel like the anchors and on location reporters are genuinely concerned about the people in their viewing area. I never really watched The Weather Channel, but I got the same vibe two years ago when we got pounded with 70”+ of snow in four days and I tuned in to see what they were saying. Nevermind that people died, just keep up that upbeat enthusiastic attitude and hope for the worst to drive the ratings for the handful of times a year people actually watch that channel.

For all those in the affected areas, best of luck and stay safe!
And how is Weather Nation vs Weather Channel in that regard ?

back in the day the weather channel was good. Red screens when it got real bad in your area, long at least 2 min local on the 8's, and very little reality stuff, cable in the class room.

As of almost 2 PM CT, the Severe Weather Channel is gone and the Severe Weather Mix has reverted back to the Sports Mix as Matthew has bee downgraded to Cat 1 and my be downgraded to a tropical storm by day's end.

WeatherNation is like the Weather Channel used to be, but if you bought it at Walmart instead of a real store. It's raw, the staff isn't as experienced, and it's not always live. But it's better than reality shows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts