Channels I (Don't) Get

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JJinVista

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
As a former Dish customer, I miss my four custom favorites lists (My HR44 only supports 2). Even more irritating is the supplied list "Channels I Get", which is inaccurate. It includes channels I don't get. I'm not just talking about pay-per-view, but channels which aren't obvious that they require a subscription upgrade.

And an offshoot of this is the cruel joke which Smart Search plays - returning results for future programs which you don't get. I've ended up recording blank space because of this defect.

Dish was far more honest and useful in their guide with color-coded channels which you get, channels which were pay-per-view, and channels which required a subscription upgrade.
:oldno

As a former Dish customer, I miss my four custom favorites lists (My HR44 only supports 2). Even more irritating is the supplied list "Channels I Get", which is inaccurate. It includes channels I don't get. I'm not just talking about pay-per-view, but channels which aren't obvious that they require a subscription upgrade.

And an offshoot of this is the cruel joke which Smart Search plays - returning results for future programs which you don't get. I've ended up recording blank space because of this defect.

Dish was far more honest and useful in their guide with color-coded channels which you get, channels which were pay-per-view, and channels which required a subscription upgrade.
:oldno
Sorry to say, the Channels I GET has Never worked and should have been removed long ago.

As for searching for shows, why would you let it record a channel you KNOW you don't get ?

it does tell you the channel it records from. while that is little consolation it should at least help in the future.

... why would you let it record a channel you KNOW you don't get ?

The channel / program I recorded was a "Smart Search" result. I'm a relatively new DirecTV customer and not sure of all the sports channels I get in my subscription and promo package. So I figured if "Smart Search" said it was available, it must be accurate!

I now know better, but even so... I don't have all of the more obscure sports channel numbers and labels memorized. I still have to "test" the channel, since the Guide doesn't give a clue as to whether or not I'm subscribed. And that involves tuning the channel number for the game that's playing in the future to see if I get the "...text your order for this upgrade..." banner or not.

As a former Dish customer, I could rely on their search function to only return valid results and I could see from the color-coded guide what channels were active.

Yeah the channels I get thing has never worked. Also getting stuff recording off of sunday ticket when I don't have it or from stations that I don't subscribe to is very poor programming and only serves to irritate me.

They are trying to push people to sub by having you see what you're missing. Given how high prices have gotten and all the options that are starting to crop up (much less how much cheaper they are) the days of paying premium for your TV are very rapidly coming to an end. Thankfully.

Yeah the channels I get thing has never worked. Also getting stuff recording off of sunday ticket when I don't have it or from stations that I don't subscribe to is very poor programming and only serves to irritate me.

They are trying to push people to sub by having you see what you're missing. Given how high prices have gotten and all the options that are starting to crop up (much less how much cheaper they are) the days of paying premium for your TV are very rapidly coming to an end. Thankfully.
When recording ST of any other sporting event, you need to make sure that you go to the actual game time to set the Recording, if your doing it thru the guide. You can't do it from the Upcoming spot for the game.

As for other options, yes there are plenty, however that doesn't mean D* is going away.
There are millions that don't have access to a fast enough internet to do what your thinking everyone will be doing.

Reactions: Tampa8
Sometimes the "channels I get" even hides channels you actually get, like right now there Is a free hbo preview this weekend and it probably is hiding those

When i do installs I just leave it at show all channels

And they greyed out channels arent always accurate either.

In my experience, 99 percent of installs are people getting rid of time warner, or uverse, or movers.

People who leave dish network almost ALWAYS complain about how they jack with the bill, not the service itself.Ive done over 1000 dtv installs, and I admit that Idont understand why dish network doesnt have more customers.

My favorite installs are the people who switch back and forth every 2 years. There seems to be an unspoken rule where dish techs and dtv techs will use each others lines, but we never take down each others dishes.

I don't know why they can't either get the Channels I Get list accurate, or just do away with it altogether and add a third custom list. I liked the way Dish did it back when they first started. Channels you didn't subscribe to were in red in the EPG, but were skipped when channel surfing. I'm just glad we have the option for custom lists. I really don't mind having two dozen infomercial channels, but at least group them together, just don't sprinkle them all through out the 200s and 300s.

And they greyed out channels arent always accurate either.

In my experience, 99 percent of installs are people getting rid of time warner, or uverse, or movers.

People who leave dish network almost ALWAYS complain about how they jack with the bill, not the service itself.Ive done over 1000 dtv installs, and I admit that Idont understand why dish network doesnt have more customers.

My favorite installs are the people who switch back and forth every 2 years. There seems to be an unspoken rule where dish techs and dtv techs will use each others lines, but we never take down each others dishes.

Because of the disputes, crappy PQ, and no RSNs in HD? No thanks, Dish...

That's why you don't install more of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)