Directv Local Channel ? for NFL Games

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I have Dish, and I know that to receive HD quality picture (1080i) on local channels, I must use an OTA antenna for my local channels, the local channels I get over the sat will not provide me with HD quality.

But a friend at work is getting Directv and they are telling him he doesn't need an OTA antenna to get HD on his local channels. Is this true and if so is this a weaker HD signal that he will be receiving and not 1080i ? My main concern is for NFL games broadcast on Fox, CBS, and NBC.

I think he needs an antenna......am I right?

What DMA are you talking about? So we can give you a very specific answer.

There are numerous markets that DirecTV serves with satellite delivered HD locals at either 720p or 1080i depending on the particular network. DMAs will usually have all 4 of the major networks, and some might have either of the major independents of your area; likely the ones that carry pro sports games. This is somewhat dependent on your local affiliate (or the owners) and the contracts with DirecTV.

The DirecTV HD satellite receivers will ALSO receive digital signals with a correctly selected and installed OTA antenna. So a user can have BOTH depending on the market they live in. The satellite signal is not really "weaker" but it is compressed more versus the "original" OTA version. Most people do not see a huge difference in the picture; but some say they do. In my market, with my setup, I get both DBS & OTA delivered HD and I am very pleased with the quality of both.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say that this was New Orleans La. area.....I did see New Orleans on one list I think ......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts