DIRECTV Local HD Programming Now Available in 59 Markets

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
DIRECTV Local HD Programming Now Available in 59 Markets Representing More Than 70 Percent of U.S. TV HouseholdsLocal HD Channels Roll Out Today in Oklahoma City and Santa Barbara, Calif.
WHAT: DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is now delivering local HD programming to customers in Oklahoma City and Santa Barbara, Calif. DIRECTV now offers local HD broadcast channels in 59 cities, representing more than 70 percent of U.S. TV households.
DIRECTV's local HD channel rollout is part of an aggressive nationwide expansion of HD programming that includes plans to offer local HD channels in up to 75 markets and up to 100 national channels by year end. When DIRECTV's capacity expansion is completed next year, it will offer more than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels, establishing DIRECTV as the nation's leading provider of HD programming.
WHEN: Beginning today, Wednesday, April 18, 2007
HOW: To receive DIRECTV's local HD programming, customers must have an H20 HD receiver or an HR20 DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR and a Ka/Ku band dish. DIRECTV is offering new customers a $100 mail-in rebate on all DIRECTV HD and HDDVR receivers.

Source: DIRECTV

Not only does DTV want more $$ from me for locals but I also have to upgrade my base package too, a total of $20/month. Screw that, I just use my old Voom OTA antenna for the local in question!

We have a decent, but cheap, over-the-air antenna. We have always had great HD, and we did not have to wait for or pay D* to get it. We get every channel, instead of only the networks, and the transmission is uncompressed and does not black out in thunderstorms.

Over 70% of televsion owners have access to over-the-air transmission of television channels if they want them.

Our in-laws can only get HD on satellite. They chose DISH because they got more HD and did not have to pay for their equipment.

Considering that D* is thoughtful enough to build DVRs with integrated ATSC tuners and have the local programming integrated into the program guides, I'd recommend the rocket science of "get an antenna" to anyone who can receive a channel on one. Why wait? Why have your channel selection restricted? Why have your transmission compressed? Why need a box to tune it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)