DirecTV MRV - Possible with two HD DVRs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
I ordered through an apartment installer company (they resell the DirecTV service), two HD DVRs (HR-24s will be installed). I called back on another question and they said I cannot have MRV with two HD DVRs - I need 1 DVR and the rest receivers in order to utilize it.

Is this true? It makes zero sense.

Also, I've seen posts about being able to stream to a computer. Is this possible with the standard internet install that they do now? In the past on the site I saw a specific internet connection option that you pay for. But now the "Cinema Connection" is bundled with the order and that optional internet connection they sell is gone.

The more HD-DVR's the better! I ordered two DVR's along with two regular HD receivers and wish I would have ordered three HD-DVR's. The more DVR's you have the more streams you can record simultaneously. Two DVR's allow 4 separate recordings at once so the more the merrier! Still thinking about replacing one of my HD receivers with another HR-24

You've been lied to. You can indeed do MRV between HR24s with the right support equipment and the monthly subscription. What constitutes "the right support" equipment may not be what your apartment offers and you'll need to wire up your own network.

DIRECTV2PC will only work within your home. Your computer must meet the system requirements and it must be networked to your DIRECTV receivers.

You've been lied to. You can indeed do MRV between HR24s with the right support equipment and the monthly subscription. What constitutes "the right support" equipment may not be what your apartment offers and you'll need to wire up your own network.

What he said, you can have MRV with 2 HD/DVR's

It just takes the right SWM equipment.
That being said, you can tell if it is the SWM if 1 line goes to each DVR and you still have both tuners working.
However, that does not mean it is the right SWM equipment.

If you can see the dish, look to see if there is a green label on the LNB.
Also seeing as it is an apartment, you most likely have swm expander or multiswitch and that also has to have a green label.

If not, the swm equipment is not MRV capable.
This then means you will need to wire each receiver directly to your router with cat5 or use powerline adapters (wireless ethernet jacks) at each receiver.
Powerline adapters will be your last resort and in an apartment might be spotty.
PM me if powerline adapters are you only option.

I don't think he was "lied" to. The CSRs just don't know "jack" about MRV

That is a yes and a no.

Most CSR's do have troubles with MRV but sometimes I think that isn't always their fault.
However, this seems to be more an MDU company telling him he can not have MRV.

What he said, you can have MRV with 2 HD/DVR's

It just takes the right SWM equipment.
It is probably safer and more reliable to use switched Ethernet in such a situation. In that way you don't need to concern yourself with whom else is using your SWiM connection and whether or not they have band-stop filters installed.

I have 3 HD-DVRs and thinking of getting another one for the bedroom and then get the MVR . If I get the 4th reciever as HD receiver , could I play all the recorded shows on it or pause and play , or do I have to get HD-DVR .

I think the rep was just misinformed. I have it being installed now. And this apartment complex has each apartment separate in terms of networks. so I have a closet with a router that hooks up to my internet. I connect all my network jacks in each room up to it so when I hookup each DirecTV HD DVR they should be networked together on my lan. I could only assume that this would provide the necessary hookups in order to get the internet connection working for DIRECTV2PC.

The MRV was just weird because why would you lose the feature for getting the same model receiver, but just a DVR version as the second one. I will let them know that this is not true. My goal was to be able to record 4 shows at the same time (mostly 3 on Monday nights) and watch them on either TV.

I have 3 HD-DVRs and thinking of getting another one for the bedroom and then get the MVR . If I get the 4th reciever as HD receiver , could I play all the recorded shows on it or pause and play , or do I have to get HD-DVR .
you can view the programs from the DVR's on the HD receiver and play/pause etc

Of course Por supuesto que se puede instalar dos HD DVR con el multiroom or MRV, solo que hay que programarlos y tiene que ir al menu e ir a whole house or MRV y programar cada receptor para que funcione el MRV en 2 HD DVR asi va a tener mas horas de grabacion si con uno tenia solo 120 horas de grabacion en HD ahora tendra el doble de horas para grabar. Ojo que debe estar pagando por el MRV Saludos Olger

No necesita otro HD DVR cuando tiene multiroom o MRV basta con un HD para que pueda ver en todos los receptores. Saludos Olger

Last edited:
Of course Por supuesto que se puede instalar dos HD DVR con el multiroom or MRV, solo que hay que programarlos y tiene que ir al menu e ir a whole house or MRV y programar cada receptor para que funcione el MRV en 2 HD DVR asi va a tener mas horas de grabacion si con uno tenia solo 120 horas de grabacion en HD ahora tendra el doble de horas para grabar. Ojo que debe estar pagando por el MRV Saludos Olger

Translated by Google Translate:

Of course, of course you can install two HD or multiroom DVR with MRV, only to be programmed and have to go to the menu and go to whole house or MRV and program each receiver to operate the MRV in 2 HD DVR so you to have more hours of recording if one had only 120 hours of recording in HD now contains twice as many hours to record. Eye should be paying for the MRV Olger Greetings

No necesita otro HD DVR cuando tiene multiroom o MRV basta con un HD para que pueda ver en todos los receptores. Saludos Olger

again:

You do not need another HD DVR when you have multiroom or HD MRV with enough so you can see in all recipients. Greetings Olger

Well I received both receivers but it says I do not have MRV enabled and to call DirecTV. However the installer said I have to wait 24 hours and I assume it is for MRV service as well as On Demand to start working.

BS. MRV will work as soon as it is enabled. If you are getting that message, it is not. The on-demand takes some time to download the program data, that was the time he was talking about. Call DirecTV and make sure MRV is enabled on your account.

the installer was a tool who kept pushing their branded internet connection that was 5mbit down (15mbit down in the "future") instead of my 100mbit internet line.

I'll call shortly about the MRV but I installed the Directv2PC SOftware and it works great. Not sure if the two are related but I am at least glad that it works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)