Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Not sure I understand this completely...
"
[h=1]Watch your recorded shows anytime, anywhere.[/h]

Introducing DIRECTV nomad™. Now you have the freedom to watch your recorded shows and movies anywhere. The innovative DIRECTV[SUP]®[/SUP] nomad™ allows you to sync your HD DVR with your cell phone, laptop, or tablet and take your recorded programs with you wherever you go."

and then it says....

"Select recorded shows and movies from your HD DVR to watch on your cell phone, laptop, or tablet. You must be within your home network."

So you can watch them anywhere as long as you're at home? Or does that just mean you have to be home to sync up with your DVR? Like.... I can't "phone home" from my brother's house in Florida and grab the DVR'ed hockey game. I'd have to get everything I wanted to watch sync'ed to the Nomad before I left home and then whatever I got is it until I get back home again.

Which is it? ")

Truly anywhere? Or just at home?

I also got confused with this. I dont know whether you can use it on the go as in out of state, out of city, etc... or just in your home internet area.

Nomad connects to home router. Sync to the Nomad. Then download to your device (iPhone etc.) It is an extremely slow process. If it's a 30 min program you've recorded, it'll take at least 30 mins to download to Nomad, then the same to download to your device. It stays on your device/Nomad for 30 days. You can watch it in an airplane without any data connection, once you've downloaded to device. Again, for $149.00 it is like having a 82bit computer. It is excruciatingly slow.

Preparing content (copying from DVR to Nomad box) takes a long time, best to do it overnight or set it to auto-prepare certain series.

Putting content onto your portable device, like an ipad, must be done on the home network over wifi, in fact the device needs to be on and in the nomad software while it copies too.

Once on the portable device, you can watch it anywhere, but it auto-deletes in 30 days.

I suppose there are some that would want this box, but from all descriptions and comments, I doubt I'll ever be interested.

Instead, I'll get a few movies from my iTunes library and stick 'em on my gen 1 AppleTV in a quick manner in HD and haul that thing around. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts