Directv Non-Standard dishes for HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

levibluewa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
WA, OR, CA
Is there an larger sized dish or dishes that can be used and combined in order to received neighboring spotbeams. I guess the dish or dish combination needs to receive 2 sats at 99 and 103 ... any others? and what lnbs need to be used? switches? etc. Thanks in advance.

I know you can use Winegard and others for DISH.

Is there an larger sized dish or dishes that can be used and combined in order to received neighboring spotbeams. I guess the dish or dish combination needs to receive 2 sats at 99 and 103 ... any others? and what lnbs need to be used? switches? etc. Thanks in advance.

For D* HD, you need a SL3/5 or a SWM 3/5.
This dish will pick up the 99, 101 and 103 Sats...
The 101 is SD and carries the guide in most cases, while the other 2 Sats are the HD Sats.

There's always the Alaska/Hawaii dishes.
But what do you mean by "receive neighboring spotbeams"? The receiver can only receive one set of locals (those for the "service address" ) so seeing multiple spotbeams does not help. In fact, many people are in locations where they can receive multiple spotbeams but they only get one set of locals.

As Texasbrit mentioned, the only larger dish that is set up for Directv is the Hawaii/Alaska dish. Any other one will require a lot of experimentation to make it work. Check the satmap link at the top of the page. It will give you a good idea of what spot beams are available in your area. The pink line on the map is generally the threshold for stable reception.

I think the OP wants to "move" and is on the edge of the spot beam so he is asking if there's a larger dish to grab a fringe signal. I am not sure of the answer but I think that's what he's asking, not multiple sets of locals.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think the OP wants to "move" and is on the edge of the spot beam so he is asking if there's a larger dish to grab a fringe signal. I am not sure of the answer but I think that's what he's asking, not multiple sets of locals.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Or he lives way up north or way down south ..wink wink..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes, I think your interpretation is probably correct, although we haven't heard from the OP. The signal drops off pretty fast at the edge of the spotbeams so if he can't get a signal at all from a standard slimline dish the larger dish probably won't help much. It will probably improve a marginal signal to be less marginal.
And it's an expensive way to get a different set of locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts