DirecTV North

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chawks

Original poster
May 25, 2009
Seattle
I'm living in Calgary Canada for the next year due to work and I really don't know how Canadians can live with their TV. My permanent residence is in Seattle where my family has Comcast. I know I can't get Comcast in Canada so I was wondering about DirecTV.

The company I work for has rented me a house and I know I'm able to have a satellite dish. Is it possible to buy a DirecTV dish off of Ebay and install it? Will DirecTV allow me to activate it as I am a US resident? One last question, will I be able to get all the same channels including local stations that I had with Comcast?

Thanks

Last edited:
Using DirecTV outside the U.S. is a breach of DirecTV's terms of service because DirecTV is only licensed to deliver service in the U.S. Additionally, receiving DirecTV is in fact illegal in Canada.

I'm living in Calgary Canada for the next year due to work and I really don't know how Canadians can live with their TV. My permanent residence is in Seattle where my family has Comcast. I know I can't get Comcast in Canada so I was wondering about DirecTV.

The company I work for has rented me a house and I know I'm able to have a satellite dish. Is it possible to buy a DirecTV dish off of Ebay and install it? Will DirecTV allow me to activate it as I am a US resident? One last question, will I be able to get all the same channels including local stations that I had with Comcast?

Thanks

Have you thought about getting yourself a Slingbox and SlingCatcher? This would allow you have any TV provider back in the states you want and watch it as if you were here in the states with a broadband internet connection. This is completly legal as well and has no monthly fees.

I just recently bought these and love 'em. Check out slingmedia.com for more info. I went with the Slingbox Pro HD since I can't live without HD.

Thanks for the info on the Slingbox. Might have a problem though... we only have one TV at home that the wife and kid are watching. I'm sure that I can't use the Slingbox to tune to any channel I want while they are watching. I don't fully understand why it would be illegal in Canada. Everything I have to do a credit check and pay the bill is from the US. If DirecTV or DISH for that matter didn't want people in Canada watching their TV wouldnt they only beam their satellite signal in the US? Doesn't make sense.

Are you sure there is no way to hook up a DirecTV dish up in Canada and get it working? I'm willing to make the investment and take the risk.

Buy your own equipment from BestBuy or whatever. Import the equipment yourself and install it yourself.

Or get yourself a StarChoice or Bell Expressview Satellite account while your up there.

BTW, you must not be a hockey fan, because the coverage you will get with TSN, Rogersportnet and CBC, will blow the States coverage away.

Yeah I live in the Northern US and have pondered one of the Canadian services. Seems like the sports are cheaper there too.

Thanks for the info on the Slingbox. Might have a problem though... we only have one TV at home that the wife and kid are watching. I'm sure that I can't use the Slingbox to tune to any channel I want while they are watching. I don't fully understand why it would be illegal in Canada. Everything I have to do a credit check and pay the bill is from the US. If DirecTV or DISH for that matter didn't want people in Canada watching their TV wouldnt they only beam their satellite signal in the US? Doesn't make sense.

Are you sure there is no way to hook up a DirecTV dish up in Canada and get it working? I'm willing to make the investment and take the risk.

All you'd have to do is sign up another receiver to your cable account back at home (minimal cost). That receiver would be yours to contol via Slingbox. Don't hook it up to a TV here in US. Leave it in the basement where the cable comes in and connect the Slingbox to the internet and you are done.

No one would be inconvenienced then.

It's illegal in Canada because the Canadian government decided to make it illegal, to protect the local sat providers AND the local TV production industry. Starchoice and Bell are paying for licenses to deliver TV via satellite in Canada, and also follow the Canadian rules on local content. And it's just about impossible to design a sat system with a footprint that only covers the continental U.S. If you have a system that delivers 100% signal in Buffalo, it's going to be at 100% or thereabouts in Toronto also.

Canadian equivalent to Comcast in Calgary will be Shaw Cable. Starchoice (now called Shaw Direct) is a satellite option. Both will give you your Seattle locals - or Spokane if you wish.

The Directv signal is fine in Calgary. PM me if you have any furthur questions

As a Canadian, I say bypass our stupid rules and get Directv. Just use your American address to set up your account. Others may pooh-pooh this line of thinking, but nobody should have to put up with lousy tv!

Chawks, just add another receiver to you Directv account and install it up here. It will work fine. That way you're still paying Directv and it's still your account. You're just using it outside the U.S.

Locals spotbeamed?

But what is the maximum distance to obtain locals? e.g living in Vancouver and trying to get Seattle locals?
I think there is a max distance? Aren't the locals spotbeamed still?

Thanks

But what is the maximum distance to obtain locals? e.g living in Vancouver and trying to get Seattle locals?

Thanks
chances are you will be out of spotbeam area u will propaly not get your locals

Thanks

Each spot beam is different, there are no set distances.
It's a try it and see situation.

since the Seattle market goes all the way to the border and Vancouver is maybe 30 miles from there the odds are pretty good ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)