Directv Now adds DVR cloud

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Existence of the technology doesn't guarantee that it is scalable by perhaps an order of magnitude.

Judging from the literature I've seen, Brightcove's live streaming offering is actually Akamai. It seems a little like putting all of one's eggs in one basket.

Well, obviously I am not going to convince you. Suffice it to say, when DirecTV's cloud DVR has problems, it won't be because they couldn't scale it up, but rather someone made a bad decision to artificially limit that scaling. Akamai isn't the only game in town either.

AWS Elemental MediaLive
Live and On-Demand Streaming | Azure Media Services

All the hard work has been done.

Amazon Fire TV was added to dvr cloud update today.
I did the free trial but unless I’m doing something wrong....no live tv dvr. Sadly

Edit:
On the plus side it seems all of the channels that I have viewed have been 60 fps. NBC, CBS Sports Network and TNT have been very smooth with no signs of jittery 30 fps.

Last edited:
The app on my firetv stick and 4k firetv dongle updated last night to the new White DirectNow logo. Had me login with my ATT account instead of the directvnow account. The recordings I had setup via my ipad a few days ago were there. Seems to work fine, the little I played with it. Not as intuitive to use as a regular dvr but I imagine it will continue to improve.

I still have another month at $15. I'll probably cancel it as my mom is the main user at my lake cabin which only has OTA, Amazon and Netflix. She says she gets more use from Amazon and the Tivo OTA than anything else.

Only 20 hours of storage, a 30-day time limit, AND some shows swapped out for on demand versions with unskippable ads? (according to some Beta users) Um, no thank you. This combines all the annoying limits of the other services' DVRs in one package.
Yeah it sounds nice until you use it. After using a traditional DVR for the last 15 years while it’s nice being able to record a show that’s about as far as I’d go. Some of the services you can’t rewind live tv, some you can pause live tv but the time varies wildly on the station your on and so on. Also they like to throw in unskippable ads on some of your recordings. Also one thing I almost never hear people talking about is the data caps with your ISP providers. While I was using various streaming services I was constantly going over my 1 tb monthly limit with Comcast. One month I think I paid 70$ in overage charges. So in the end I’m back on a traditional tv plan (which is actually cheaper than what I was paying with YTTV)with a traditional DVR and I’m going to stick with it for at least the near future.

Yeah it sounds nice until you use it. After using a traditional DVR for the last 15 years while it’s nice being able to record a show that’s about as far as I’d go. Some of the services you can’t rewind live tv, some you can pause live tv but the time varies wildly on the station your on and so on. Also they like to throw in unskippable ads on some of your recordings. Also one thing I almost never hear people talking about is the data caps with your ISP providers. While I was using various streaming services I was constantly going over my 1 tb monthly limit with Comcast. One month I think I paid 70$ in overage charges. So in the end I’m back on a traditional tv plan (which is actually cheaper than what I was paying with YTTV)with a traditional DVR and I’m going to stick with it for at least the near future.

I got burned a few months ago by using 4TB (my data cap was 400G!!) during 1 months time - $200 + in "data overage".

I'm still not sure what happened, but I have locked up my router now, tightening security - and more importantly - for an extra $20/month, I was able to upgrade my cable internet to unlimited data and their "GiGSpeed" (up from 100mbs).
So yes - data caps should be a very real part of any "cord-cutting" discussions.

Reactions: osu1991
I hava a question & this is the most recent Directv Now thread that maybe I can ask it on. I've had Directv Now for probably 2 months now without live locals, because they're not offered in the Augusta, GA area yet. HOWEVER.....I set up my account on my co-worker's Roku TV at her house, & because she has AT&T Uverse for internet connection, live local channels ARE showing up on her TV. In cloud dvr related news, I cannot record to dvr any CW shows, but it kind of sucks that I'd have to have AT&T internet connection to see my live locals(I have Xfinity for internet). That just seems strange to me.

I hava a question & this is the most recent Directv Now thread that maybe I can ask it on. I've had Directv Now for probably 2 months now without live locals, because they're not offered in the Augusta, GA area yet. HOWEVER.....I set up my account on my co-worker's Roku TV at her house, & because she has AT&T Uverse for internet connection, live local channels ARE showing up on her TV. In cloud dvr related news, I cannot record to dvr any CW shows, but it kind of sucks that I'd have to have AT&T internet connection to see my live locals(I have Xfinity for internet). That just seems strange to me.

Same DMA?
ISP shouldn't matter. Locals are supposed to follow you around the US now, so you would get whatever locals are available wherever you might be traveling. During my trials with DTVNow. I had Tulsa locals at my house using Cox and the AFTV, but not 30 miles away at my lake house, I thought at that time, it was probably because Windstream service at the lake usually shows everything as being located in GA. However when the new app came out of Beta and went live with DVR, suddenly I had locals showing at both homes.

Same DMA?
ISP shouldn't matter. Locals are supposed to follow you around the US now, so you would get whatever locals are available wherever you might be traveling. During my trials with DTVNow. I had Tulsa locals at my house using Cox and the AFTV, but not 30 miles away at my lake house, I thought at that time, it was probably because Windstream service at the lake usually shows everything as being located in GA. However when the new app came out of Beta and went live with DVR, suddenly I had locals showing at both homes.
Both in the same DMA. The only difference is ISP.

Mystery solved about the locals. My friend has the local channels blacked out because they are Atlanta locals. We tried to pull up ABC & it said "local only," or something along those lines. I guess that it's because the AT&T backbone comes from Atlanta, that Atlanta locals, even if they're blacked out here, show up in Augusta over the Uverse ISP.

I have had the cloud DVR for two months and have yet to record anything. Not saying I won't eventually, but everything I want to watch is available on demand.

Have they added dvr live tv yet?
If not I wonder if or will they?
I will not be using a service without it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts